PDA

View Full Version : Usine E-85 in the mowers

B & B Yardscape
09-11-2008, 07:32 AM
I did a search here thinking I would find a bunch of articles on the pros and cons of using e-85. There weren't any.

My question is any one using e-85 in their mowers? Either striaght or mixed with regular gas?

I'm thinking of running a 50/50 mix in mine.

ricky86
09-11-2008, 08:21 AM
I'm am not using it. It's not in my area. But, is it cheaper than gasoline? I do know that if you have an older mower(5-6 yrs), the e-85 will attack rubber parts. It can cause swelling and sometimes has a drying effect on them. Depends on the material used in the particular part. You might get more than you bargained for (in a bad way)

Frontier-Lawn
09-11-2008, 09:16 AM
email your mower maker about it.

toac
09-11-2008, 09:27 AM
It is cheaper, but is less fuel efficient.

ed2150
09-11-2008, 10:13 AM
You can only use E85 in engines designed for it, otherwise engine or fuel system damage will probably result.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-11-2008, 10:16 AM
For about the past month I have ran 10% Ethanol in my mowers and in the truck, but lastnight when I filled up I used regular unleaded because gasoline with ethanol in it seems to burn alot faster than regular. I think lastnight Unleaded was cheaper than the Ethanol. Can't remember for sure though.

subs1000w
09-11-2008, 10:46 AM
you would have to rejet the carb about 20-30% richer which explains why they are less fuel efficient and is the reason why you can only run e85 in FLEXFUEL vehicles because they have a special sensor that picks up on how much ethenal is in the fuel and adjusts the fuel injection for the percent but if you rejet the carb to run e85 you could no longer run regular gasoline basicly its piontless also on the rubber parts ive heard alot about this but ive also heard people runing this in there older fast cars because its basicly like 108 octane race fuel and they have had no problems with the rubber lines or parts but over long periods of time it might cause problems

IA_James
09-11-2008, 10:59 AM
E85 will require rejetting the carb, and then you will only be able to use E85 unless you rejet it again. I'm not sure how the gaskets and fuel lines on a mower would react, you might wind up having to make your own out of automotive material. One of the posts above mentions going 23-30% bigger, I think it could be quite a bit more than that, alcohol requires almost twice as much fuel to run as gasoline.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-11-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't know that E85 in small engines is a widely accepted practice, yet.
I am all in favor of homegrown fuels though, so hopefully these engine mfg's get with it and work toward making small engines more ethanol compatible.

Most important thing about ethanol...don't believe the negative lies out there. Ethanol has gotten a very bad rap lately and I don't know why. Homegrown vs. Terrorist grown oil?? Do your own research, don't listen to the media and anyone entangled with BIG oil.

JimQ
09-11-2008, 11:02 AM
I did a search here thinking I would find a bunch of articles on the pros and cons of using e-85. There weren't any.

My question is any one using e-85 in their mowers? Either straight or mixed with regular gas?

I'm thinking of running a 50/50 mix in mine.

Don't do it.

There has already been a lot of research completed regarding this topic. Degradation of rubber components in the fuel system should be the least of your worries. Your engine will run too lean.

Engines designed to run with E0/E10 will run too lean on greater amounts of Ethanol. This will result in lean misfires or pre-ignition from
hot chamber surfaces eventually causing engine seizure.

Unless your carb is specifically jetted for higher amounts of ethanol, it will run lean. Modern vehicles can deal with this because they are equipped with O2 sensors and adjustable pulse width fuel injectors.

Q

B & B Yardscape
09-11-2008, 09:07 PM
I checked with my mower maker (Country Clipper) web site. They said that is should not be done. Kawasaki has done a lot of test and research, but at this time, it is NOT recommened.

Thanks for all the input guys. It is just hard to drive by .50 cents a gallon cheaper fuel without thinking about it.

Maybe someday.