PDA

View Full Version : How to install on a roof overhang...

DeepGreenLawn
09-11-2008, 07:04 PM
I was sitting in traffic today, and I was imagining what I would do with different buildings along the road. I came up to a bank and it hit me... there were no gutters and the shingles just hung off the edge. How do you clip the lights to these? Just go straight on the shingle with the tab facing the pitch of the roof? The part hanging off the edge? Are the clips strong enough to hold that?

ALSO, I take it your clips go on each light so to keep them straight... I wasn't sure about this for a minute, remember I have never done this, and then common sense kicked in. I have so much going on right now that I can't keep things straight some times.

SO, for future reference... sorry in advance for any DUH! questions.

hotrod1965
09-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Don't have roofs like that around here. I bet Dave has an answer, he's in a similar climate.

I would use a clip on every light to keep things straight and to keep them from falling off.

DeepGreenLawn
09-11-2008, 07:13 PM
So the clips are pretty tight on the shingles when you put them on? Most houses have gutters, I take it you would use these for the most part, but you still have to go up the sides.

hotrod1965
09-11-2008, 07:34 PM
The all in one clips will grip a shingle just fine.

turf hokie
09-11-2008, 08:10 PM
We only clip on gutters if we have to. Go one or two rows of shingles up, you cant tell the difference at night.

DeepGreenLawn
09-12-2008, 12:53 AM
We only clip on gutters if we have to. Go one or two rows of shingles up, you cant tell the difference at night.

GREAT! That is the kind of "trick of the trade" kind of stuff I like to hear.

David Gretzmier
09-13-2008, 01:03 AM
clipping on shingles above gutters also fixes the bulbs facing out issue. as long as you are always on a shingle, they are always up.

Chrismas decor always uses shingle tabs here, so thiers is always out. It may be that less rain gets in them that way, so less GFCI dance when it rains.