PDA

View Full Version : PowerHouse Prodigy?

gogetter
02-01-2002, 08:48 PM
Anyone have any experience with the PowerHouse Prodigy mini skid?
Not that I'm in the market at this time, but I was surprised how inexpensive it was. Under 7 grand! A whlole package w/trailer and attachments is under 14 grand.
I would imagine at that price it's probably got limited power, but for a small company that does only small installs, seems like it would be very useful.
Just wondering what the PowerHouse reputation is like.

ATL Lawn
03-28-2007, 03:55 PM
bump, i wanted to know this to.

dozerman21
03-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Here's a link to a comparison test from a while back. I think the MT52's went for around $15,000. I'm sure the MT55's are even more. They're pretty handy in the right application, as long as you're getting your money back. For the price of some of these, you can find a nice used skid steer. I haven't seen a PowerHouse Prodigy work, in person.

http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA6307059.html

dozerman21
03-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Here's a link to a comparison test from a while back. I think the MT52's went for around $15,000. I'm sure the MT55's are even more. They're pretty handy in the right application, as long as you're getting your money back. For the price of some of these, you can find a nice used skid steer. I haven't seen a PowerHouse Prodigy work, in person.

http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA6307059.html

BCF
03-29-2007, 08:51 PM
I've used a rental from home depot a few times, and although there are a rew things I don't like, I can't recall it ever being underpowered.

The platform is spring loaded, which did get bothersome a few times, and the gas fill it right n the middle of the "hood", making it very messy to fill. You stand up high, so you get great visabilty, and it has very good ground clearance.

It never entered my race for which machine to buy, but for that price it may.

BCF
03-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Actually, I was mistaken. Home Depot rents the Powerhouse Prowler.

Fatboy
03-30-2007, 09:06 PM
I've got a Kanga G520 that's about the same as the Powerhouse Pro. It has the GX620 Honda 20hp engine and I have 6 different attachments for it, standard and 4n1 buckets, 12" auger, trencher, pallet forks, and leveller/carry-all. Plus I bought a hydraulic tamper that operates off the Kanga hydraulics.

This machine amazes all who see it and I do a lot of work with it. As stated earlier the standing visibility is great and it's real easy to step on and off it. My brother saw for the first time on a job today and asked about a seat but I told him that a seat would be a hinderance and that my uncle's Bobcat 350 was a pain because you had to climb in and out of the seat over the bucket.

I have stood it on it's nose a couple of times (like moving 3-20' power poles with the forks) and today I nosed over when I picked up a full 4n1 bucket of crushed stone while going down the back side of the pile. I switched to the straight bucket and finished spreading 15 tons of gravel for a driveway in about 30 minutes.

The main use for my Kanga is to set the 20' power poles and run water lines.
First we auger a 12" hole 4-1/2' deep and then carry the pole horzontally on the forks. Then a boom that I made is use on the forks to lift the pole vertically and place it in the hole. After that the tamper is used to pack the dirt back around the pole, this works very well and beats doing it by hand.

I used to use the Kanga trencher to put in the water lines but got a good deal on a Ditch Witch 1220 walk behind that does a better job and the Kanga is used to clear a path which most of the time means removing the layer of stone if the line have to cross the driveway. The Kanga is also used to back fill the trenches and re-cover the driveway.

All in all the Kanga makes it possible to do this work in the shortest amount of time and manual labor. In fact I wouldn't even be doing this work if I didn't have it.

As far as the Prodigy, it has a little less power than my machine but I have no doubt that in the right setting it can do a lot of work and save a lot of time and man hours of labor. It would be worth it to check it out.

Good Luck,
Fatboy

Keystone
04-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Powerhouse and Boxer are part of the same company.Powerhouse units are sent to Home Depot for rent or sale. The smaller ones are Kangas and the tracked models are boxers.

Chilehead
05-18-2007, 09:40 PM
I just rented a Prodigy two days ago to install a new seedbed. I used it mainly for moving a pile of Black Gold. My impressions were that it was a little jumpy. Not scary, just a little fidgetty. I think for light jobs, this would be a good investment, but don't expect to do any excavation with one.

ATL Lawn
11-14-2007, 02:00 AM
bump.. any new updates??

CarolinaCut&Clean
02-27-2012, 05:11 PM
I know this is old, but I actually own a Powerhouse Prodigy. I have rented them before and just bought a used one. It is great for small jobs and very universal. I moved 8 tons of topsoil in about 30mins and then used the leveler to rake it all out. Much easier than shovel and wheel barrow! The auger has also been great as it goes through the Carolina clay and slate with no issues. I will say that you need to make sure that your engine is in good working order though. This was a rental at one time, so I am sure that it was not treated the best. Even with a case full of oil and constant upkeep, the engine threw a rod through the crank case. Not too big of an issue, but so far, I have been unable to locate any new Honda engine for it. Honda no longer makes the 530 engine and Compact Power(the unit maker) has no solution for an engine swap or upgrade. But other than that, it is a great unit for the small business.