PDA

View Full Version : Emerald ash Borer

greenguy08
09-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Any ideas for organics to combat emerald ash borer?

ICT Bill
09-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Call Arborjet, if you can speak to Peter Wilde (owner/founder) that would be great, he has tested programs to combat that %#@&*#$*($#%^@ bug, he and his company have been working for years to combat EAB

It depends on where you catch it but he has proven injectables to GET R DONE

Note: I have no idea how "organic" his program is (I am not an arborist), I have just seen the effeciacy

Barry is a dam good arborist maybe he will chime in

treegal1
09-11-2008, 09:37 PM
pete is the man, its not organic, but you only use a small amount, like 10% of what you would spray.

greenguy08
09-11-2008, 09:44 PM
There has to be an organic alternative. Neem uptaken by the roots? Anyone weigh in here...?

ICT Bill
09-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Apologies but I have no credentials, I have general knowledge with an astrick but that is about it

Do you find neem under trees often?
what is the expected result?

Break it down to fundamentals, what exactly is going on? The EAB wants a safe place to rear it young, we would call it infestation

If the environment is not good for what the EAB wants they won't go there, so if you can place barriers in the way to change the environment, they will most likely go somewhere else.

simple ways work but not all of the time

TG how long ago was that? we have all changed a bit

treegal1
09-11-2008, 11:20 PM
fall of 06 maybe, that was his 3 or 4th visit.....

neem is a IGR not really what you want, there is some anecdotal work on a fungal...........................

just keep the thing really healthy

treegal1
09-11-2008, 11:23 PM
There has to be an organic alternative. Neem uptaken by the roots? Anyone weigh in here...?there is a biologically produced chem on the up and coming. its a bacterium poo more or less. sorry I can NOT say what or who. they made me give some paper to keep me cool............

greenguy08
09-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Sounds good, but Emerald Ash borer... I don't know if you have this down your way, Tree, but ALL Ash trees in the quarantined area are expected to die. We remove them all the time. The tree services are loving it. Keeping trees healthy in general in my climate is a frickin' chore... The locust, oak, hemlock, dogwood, maple, There seems to be an annual rotation on these trees getting by or losing all foliage by mid-season. Let alone Dutch Elm and EAB. All the Elms and Ashes in the state are forecast to die out, and I'm watching it happen. Warmer average temps and air pollution are tough to work around to keep trees healthy.

greenguy08
09-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Just saw your latest post, Tree. Bio control could be the way to go for EAB for sure. They need one for Hemlock Wooly Adelgid fast now.

treegal1
09-11-2008, 11:55 PM
shite you think its bad there, try the tropics and get a real flavor for disease and exotic introduce pest and.... dont get me on a roll, we have 34 pest and 129 pathogens that we have a hard time with, no winter to kill off the masses. then start to look at cross tolerances from cosmetic use of pesticides, we have one ant that will suck up fipronil and spit it on you or anything else that comes near it, and pine beetle, not just one JPB SPB CTW, and oaks, just let me tell you some horror story's about the gwat/ mex crew that trimmed all the oaks 350+ in one community and they are dying in dozens, wait make that gross, and the spit has only just hit the spam!!! I have almost 140K$ into testing and research and thats just my small part, fissurum wilt and basal but rot(ganoderma) we even have a few virus that are killing without discrrimination of spec. or type of plant, citrus greening and canker, sod and LOD, lethal yellows and all mater of worm grub and nematode, 4 hurricanes to stress every thing and that was 04!!!! this place ain't like wine, it wont get better with age........

ICT Bill
09-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Think enzymes or enzyme production

There are some mycorrhiza (did I spell that right Tim?? just joking you know that by now) that are able to knock these things down quickly, well get them in check is a better way to say it

treegal1
09-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Think enzymes or enzyme production

There are some mycorrhiza (did I spell that right Tim?? just joking you know that by now) that are able to knock these things down quickly, well get them in check is a better way to say it
yeah I will go to sleep now and DREAM of that..........

one day....................maybe.................

greenguy08
09-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Mycorrhyzal innoculation for EAB? Can you be more specific? What strain(s)?

ICT Bill
09-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Mycorrhyzal innoculation for EAB? Can you be more specific? What strain(s)?

I was replying to TG about the host of issues that are in Florida, I have no concoction for EAB but arborjet does

Tim Wilson
09-12-2008, 11:45 AM
There is a neem formula available for use on individual trees. It is available in Canada. I don't know about the USA

http://www.bioforest.org/treeazin.html

phasthound
09-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Get in touch with George. Tell him that Barry said you should ask him about his experience with pine borers.

California Vermiculture, LLC
George Hahn
P.O. Box 95, Cardiff by the Sea, CA 92007
Phone: 760-942-6086, Cell: 619-857-4885, Fax: 760-942-5356
email: geohahn1@juno.com

treegal1
09-12-2008, 12:03 PM
I was replying to TG about the host of issues that are in Florida, I have no concoction for EAB but arborjet does Bill we hit it with all we got every day!!! 152000 acres in this area, I only handle 150+ and supply tea for about another 300 acres. I know that I am on track, but its up hill and a little scary some times, there is no guard rail.........

we have also started a few plantings to grow out more benefits.............