PDA

View Full Version : Toro Proline 44?

Rodney12
09-11-2008, 07:52 PM
I found a nice deal on a toro 44, im looking to upgrade to a dual hydro and it seems to be a good hybrid size as I can still get through my gated jobs. any opinions on this machine?

slamjamrockinman
09-11-2008, 08:40 PM
just bought a used one with 350 hours on it. It came with a tru-trak, stripe kit and a jrco dethatcher. LOVE IT!! The tru-trak works great. It is so comfortable, I could stand on it for hours. The 44" is a good size for me, I do all resis and I just use my honda 21 for gates. Mines a 2001 so it has the sfs deck. Would you buy new?? Let me know if you have any questions.

Rodney12
09-12-2008, 09:35 AM
does the tru trak affect the striping at all without a stripe kit, how is the cut? what blades are you using?

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-12-2008, 10:02 AM
I found a nice deal on a toro 44, im looking to upgrade to a dual hydro and it seems to be a good hybrid size as I can still get through my gated jobs. any opinions on this machine?

The Turboforce deck (if that's what you have) is just about bullet proof. I run my 36" with doubles and get a wind tunnel akin to a tornado. :D

Rodney12
09-12-2008, 11:41 AM
its a 1999 with 300 hours on it, just used residentially, seems to be in great shape, the tru-trak looks like it would be functionally great to have

lawnguy001
09-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I had a hydro 44'' sfs Toro for 3 years. Nice size for residential. Good cut on St.Aug. grass.IMO the true trac was a little bulky to use. I had Jungle Wheels on all my w/b and they worked great.
Walt

dura to the max
09-12-2008, 03:40 PM
i dont have a toro w/b anymore, but i had a 36" that was bulletproof (it had a fixed turboforce deck). i also think the sfs deck on my 52" z cuts great. cant say on the size that you're looking at, that depends on you.

the only question i have is what kind of steering does it have? 44" is a great size, i run a 48" w/b a good bit and wouldnt want smaller, but 44" could be great depending on the size lawns you maintain.

Rodney12
09-12-2008, 03:43 PM
its a dual hydro, all my jobs are residential and typically around .25 acre and some have tight spots, some are wide open. the main reason for an upgrade is the dual hydro (alot less work to operate)....those of you with 48" ztr's or w/b's, what is the smallers property you typically run them on? I have also looked at a few 48" exmark vikings but dont want to get too big, do you guys typically cut smaller yards with 48" decks?

dura to the max
09-12-2008, 04:00 PM
i cut lawns as small as a couple k sq. ft w/ a 52" all the time. 48" is no problem either. i even used my 60" on the same properties when i had it.

slamjamrockinman
09-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Sounds like it is almost the exact same mower that I have. I'll post some pics of mine in the picture thred when I can find some time. Rodney, I have a striping kit on mine so I wouldn't know, but I am also sure it wouldn't. I just have the stock blades on it and it cuts decent. I only have to 2 passes if the grass is overgrown. As far as the sfs deck goes, it is not as bad as some say it is, no it is not nearly as nice as the turbo force. I second what lawnguy said. The tru-tak is a bit bulky, but that is whats great about a sulky. You can just fold it up and walk on those small yards. I might get some new blades, anyone have any suggestions for good blades on the sfs?

dura to the max
09-12-2008, 11:05 PM
im using highlifts on my sfs. sharpened all the way to the bolt hole. i think im going to try regular blades this next go round. im also interested to hear what others run on their sfs decks...

brucec32
09-13-2008, 02:19 AM
its a dual hydro, all my jobs are residential and typically around .25 acre and some have tight spots, some are wide open. the main reason for an upgrade is the dual hydro (alot less work to operate)....those of you with 48" ztr's or w/b's, what is the smallers property you typically run them on? I have also looked at a few 48" exmark vikings but dont want to get too big, do you guys typically cut smaller yards with 48" decks?

Does this 44" have the front casters angled down or are they mounted to frame arms that are horizontal? They made a change at some point to these mowers that greatly improved traction and eliminated caster wobble.

Does it have the "classic" style 44" deck or the newer style? The classic is good in many ways but will scalp on uneven turf when mowing Bermuda. The new styles cut low turf better but early versions have traction problems and caster wheel flutter that is annoying.

Does it have an antiscalp wheel on the trim side? I would try to get one with this unless you never cut below about 3". Even then you will cut some nice turves with it eventually w/o the antiscalp.

The 44" is a great size for gates

If it has the 15hp kohler single it's underpowered for tall or heavy grass or mulching. More power will allow you to handle more varied turf conditions and do it faster. A 15hp twin kawi has more torque.

If it has the straight arms it will have traction problems and you'll have to baby it to avoid spinning the rear wheels and damaging turf.

I had the hydro T bar with the newer style deck, 15hp kohler, and straight frame arms. I can't recall the year. Maybe 2001? I bought it used and sold it the same year. Not a great mower. Serviceable, but rather flawed. Before I bought mine the Toro rep warned me to avoid this model in the T bar. But I hate pistol grips so I tried a used one.

I also hate fixed decks. If you only cut at one height they're ok, but I still prefer the floaters. You can cut very small lawns with a 48" deck if it's the right kind of grass. But postage stamps of Bermuda or Zoysia here don't look great with a big deck unless they're super flat. But each lawn is different. I can tell by looking at them instantly but I can't explain it in text, sorry.

I would also check out Exmark Turf Tracer HP in used hydro wb's. They are popular and there happen to be a lot of them for sale on ebay and elsewhere, so it might help you find a good one more easily. I have cut with the 36" and it is a great cut. The 48" is the same deck as on my lazer HP and it really shines mulching on undulating terrain. The TT HP has a ton of anti-scalp wheels on the 48" and the deck is well centered on the frame, which I like.

Be sure to test any used hydro mower well and listen for excess noise and look for leaks, etc. Pump/motor repairs are insanely expensive. I'd try to find one used by an owner, not employees who may have given them the gorilla treatment over the years. Check the belts underneath and on the deck for wear, as some of them on the underside are a B##@# to replace if you haven't done it a few times.

The higher the turf you're mowing, the less important many aspects of the mower are and the more pure cut quality and reliabliity and power matter. I find just about any major brand mower I've tried cuts decently at the lower speeds of a wb when mowing at 2.5" and up. It's the low stuff that really shows the differences in designs.

Tim's Lawn Care LLC.
09-14-2008, 09:12 AM
I've been using my Toro 44" w/b with it's SFS deck sense new, 3&1/2 years now. No complaints thats worth puttin out here. I use Gator blades most of the summer but change up to high lift blades when there's wet conditions and it handles it rather well. Just recently I've been considering moving up to a bigger decked machine and all the research i've done keeps taking me back to Toro and their Turbo-Force Deck.

MOW ED
09-15-2008, 05:38 PM
I have one now with a 20hp and it cuts everything. I had a 15hp and it was great on gas but I sold it a few years ago because the 20 came up and it had low hours.
My wife actually uses it with the ProSlide and she is very good on it. It also has a stripe kit. I use high lifts at times but also put the gators on for leaf season and mulch the crap out of them. I converted the deflector into a modified discharge cover so I don't need a mulch kit installed. I have one but never use it.
The mowers were really trouble free except for small minor items. It gives a good cut and basically anyone can operate the T-Bar. I demoed pistol grip models but that ain't for me. Mine is hydro and is simple to use. I hear Exmark has a decent system also, I never tried theirs. The only problem with the design is that front end is too light. I fixed that with a lead bar. I also did not like the front caster tires coming off bead. That is solved by foam filling them. Solid machine and it does alot of work with minimal maintenance.

delphied
09-15-2008, 08:28 PM

I have a Toro 44 Proline in belt drive. IT is a backup since I replaced it with a 48 Exmark TTHP Hydro. I dont see much difference in size between a 44 and 48. The 48 is my smallest mower. If I need to cut where the 48 doesnt fit, I use a redmax trimmer. The Toro mower is a good mower but I needed a hydro for easier operation as well as pulling me around on a Proslide.