PDA

View Full Version : Who has the split tail wheel option for the Walker

farmboy52787
09-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Who has the split tail wheel option for the walker? Pro & Cons? Thank you

CrystalCreek
09-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Is this where the wheels are in the center, but two little one's side by side? Or is it the wheels on the outside corners? If its the first description, than I have it. LOVE IT!!! I have had a flat in one wheel and finished the day mowing. A great little feature, much better then the one big rear tail wheel. Hope this helps.

farmboy52787
09-12-2008, 01:23 AM
No your talking about the dual rear tail wheel. I'm talking about the outside corner one.

grassaholic
09-12-2008, 10:27 AM
I've got the split tail wheel option on one of my Walkers and like it. I'd have to say the pros to it are that it smooths out the ride because the rear end doesn't bounce every time it hits a bump. The split tail wheel allows you to straddle a hole in the lawn. It also seems to help with hillside stability and traction. If your one of those people who doesn't like the extra wheel mark in the middle of your stripes, it gets rid of that too and stripes like a midmount. The only cons I can think of are when your in tight areas it is easy to drop one of the wheels into a landscape bed and you have to give yourself a little more room to turn at the end of each row or you will drop a wheel into a landscape bed or off a curb. This was pretty annoying to me at first because I've been running Walkers with the traditional center tail wheel for 12 yrs. After a week of running the split tail wheel machine I was able to learn to operate it without dropping a wheel off of curbs or into beds. It's just a little learning curve if your used to the other style. Overall I'd say it's a worthwhile option to smooth out the ride and get extra traction on hills.

ColePyck
09-12-2008, 10:58 AM
saw one on ebay for like 500 or something, does it greatly improve stability on hillsides? as to much its worth the 500 buck a roos? I love my MD but it cant hold a hill to save its life

Jason Rose
09-12-2008, 12:43 PM
I saw the same one on Ebay. I'm betting the seller bought it and didn't like it... I'd like to TRY the set-up first for sure, that's a lot of money for a couple caster wheels and a Y fork. I agree, I'd probably be dropping it off curbs left and right. I tend to turn VERY close to things because I only make 1 pass around the perimeter of the lawn. Would love to reduce the bouncing though! My biggest complaint about the Walker is the rear bounce, oh, and when the rear won't hop over a little bump like a raised concrete pad when turning.

farmboy52787
09-12-2008, 08:56 PM
I've got the split tail wheel option on one of my Walkers and like it. I'd have to say the pros to it are that it smooths out the ride because the rear end doesn't bounce every time it hits a bump. The split tail wheel allows you to straddle a hole in the lawn. It also seems to help with hillside stability and traction. If your one of those people who doesn't like the extra wheel mark in the middle of your stripes, it gets rid of that too and stripes like a midmount. The only cons I can think of are when your in tight areas it is easy to drop one of the wheels into a landscape bed and you have to give yourself a little more room to turn at the end of each row or you will drop a wheel into a landscape bed or off a curb. This was pretty annoying to me at first because I've been running Walkers with the traditional center tail wheel for 12 yrs. After a week of running the split tail wheel machine I was able to learn to operate it without dropping a wheel off of curbs or into beds. It's just a little learning curve if your used to the other style. Overall I'd say it's a worthwhile option to smooth out the ride and get extra traction on hills.
Really, they help on hillside traction? I wonder why or how?

Jason Rose
09-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Assumption here:

I figure the wider stance in the rear would prevent some of the "body roll" towards the downside of the slope. Gravity is naturally taking weight off the upper drive tire and adding it to the lower one. The wider forks may help stabilize the machine some and keep the ground pressure more equal for both drive tires.

nosparkplugs
09-12-2008, 10:47 PM
I have the optional split dual tail wheel on my John Deere F-680, it was a $650 option back in 02 a must for that beast. I did not want it on my Walker; because I wanted maximum maneuverability in tight spaces, yes you can straddle a hole better, or just slow down before the hole with the single dual tail wheel. IMO the Walker MD diesel or the LC 31 hp gasburner "heavier Walkers" with the 9.5 hopper, high lift dump would benefit most from the split tail wheel.

The split tail wheel is great for wide area's running the larger decks, rough terrain, hills, wet turf, ditchs & you have a heavy Walker. You will do just fine 99.9% of the time without it. Or if you gotta have all the options go for it.

On hills just empty the hopper often the Walker will climb like a billy goat(backwards) until the hopper gets 1/2 full you can feel it when it happens:laugh:

grassaholic
09-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Assumption here:

I figure the wider stance in the rear would prevent some of the "body roll" towards the downside of the slope. Gravity is naturally taking weight off the upper drive tire and adding it to the lower one. The wider forks may help stabilize the machine some and keep the ground pressure more equal for both drive tires.
Good explanation Jason! As far as it being worth the $$$. It just depends on what kind of accounts are being mowed [ lots of hills or not many hills, bumpy lawns or nice and smooth lawns, lots of really tight areas or more open areas]. I have the best of both worlds on my rig. I've got a 26MTGHS with the center tail wheel and a 31MTGHS with the split tail wheels. The split tail wheel is really helpful on the liquid cooled models since they are faster straight from the factory than a model MT with the speed up kit.

mag360
09-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Just a heads up---the split tail wheels maintain the same center of gravity as a single rear wheel because the frame is allowed to pivot side to side.
Cleaning up the stripes, lowering ground pressure, and softening the ride for your operator would be reasons to get the split wheels but they would have to be rigid mounted to help hillside stability and that would create more traction issues then it would help.

Lawdog302
09-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Good explanation Jason! As far as it being worth the $$$. It just depends on what kind of accounts are being mowed [ lots of hills or not many hills, bumpy lawns or nice and smooth lawns, lots of really tight areas or more open areas]. I have the best of both worlds on my rig. I've got a 26MTGHS with the center tail wheel and a 31MTGHS with the split tail wheels. The split tail wheel is really helpful on the liquid cooled models since they are faster straight from the factory than a model MT with the speed up kit.

Grassaholic, how do you like your 31MTL? can you give me pros and cons?

grassaholic
09-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Grassaholic, how do you like your 31MTL? can you give me pros and cons?
I can give you several pros but not many cons! First of all the extra power has been really nice in the spring and fall. The next thing that I really like is the suspension seat. The MTL's all come with the high dollar Grammer suspension seat and I really like it. I've never had a suspension seat so this mower has really spoiled me. The next thing that I really like is the extra speed that the MTL's have. All MTL's are faster than a regular MT with the speed up kit. Can't remember exactly how fast they go but they really scoot compared to an MT with the speed up kit. When the hoppers full it doesn't seem to take forever to get to my dump spot. The MTL also comes with a much better warranty from Kohler on the engine. It's good for 3 yrs. COMMERCIAL as opposed to 1 yr. on the air cooled units. Other than that, the mower is the same as my 26 MTGHS. The only con I can think of is the mower weighs a little more than the 26. It's not as bad as the diesel though. I guess the other con would be the price!!! If your using the mower commercially I think it's well worth the extra money. The extra money gets you the fastest ground speed, more POWER, a plush suspension seat, and a kick azz warranty.:cool2:

nosparkplugs
09-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Lets be realistic on the speed up kits you go to 6.5mph for 5mph PERIOD 1.5mph increase, nothing faster WOW. The Walkers were never designed to win any races even with the speed up kit, or bushogging in rutty terrain. I've put our Walker through hell already holds up fine, and I would rather put a larger frame ZTR in the truly rough terrain than a air cooled, or Liquid cooled Walker with all the bells & whistles.

Lawdog302
09-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks for that write up. I may get one soon to add to the 2 I already have. Thinking maybe a 74" to go on it.

grassaholic
09-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Lets be realistic on the speed up kits you go to 6.5mph for 5mph PERIOD 1.5mph increase, nothing faster WOW. The Walkers were never designed to win any races even with the speed up kit, or bushogging in rutty terrain. I've put our Walker through hell already holds up fine, and I would rather put a larger frame ZTR in the truly rough terrain than a air cooled, or Liquid cooled Walker with all the bells & whistles.

Thanx for the sarcastic remarks!:confused:Your right, the regular speed up kit doesn't make the Walker much faster than stock. The MTL models are faster than an MT with a speed up kit, which is much faster than stock. No I'm not trying to win any races. I just happen to like being able to get back to my truck a little faster to dump. As far as "bushogging in rutty terrain" ??? I never said anything about that. I'm just trying to give Lawdog some usefull info about the MTL 31. How about you get realistic and only add to the thread if you have something useful to say.:hammerhead:

nosparkplugs
09-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanx for the sarcastic remarks!:confused:Your right, the regular speed up kit doesn't make the Walker much faster than stock. The MTL models are faster than an MT with a speed up kit, which is much faster than stock. No I'm not trying to win any races. I just happen to like being able to get back to my truck a little faster to dump. As far as "bushogging in rutty terrain" ??? I never said anything about that. I'm just trying to give Lawdog some usefull info about the MTL 31. How about you get realistic and only add to the thread if you have something useful to say.:hammerhead:

Since you opened the can, and misquoted or exaggerated items lets stick with the facts on the Walkers & engine options 1.) speed kit increase of 1.5 mph. 2.) Walker air cooled Kohlers have a commercial 2 year engine warranty, not one year 3.) Speed up kit is not a factory standard feature on any Walker model. A independent Authorized Walker dealer may order their Walker models with a speed up kit, or the buyer can add the speed up kit option. Walker manufacture will not sell a Walker with out a customer specific invoice request for the speed-up kit. The speed up kit makes the already "squirrelly" feel of the Walker FSC style controls tougher, and flat out dangerous for the novice owner/operator.

The reference to bushogging in rough terrain is from personal experience. The MT models are all the same frame from the engine cradle forward; consequently the Liquid cooled or diesel models only increase the weight of the Walkers, and in many cases is a negative factor all around. Without more Walker options purchased to offset the weight penalty.

I have found that the much lighter standard 20 or 23 hp air cooled model does less turf damage in all conditions, and has plenty of power for our needs. I have been on both sides of the fence with the LQ/ air cooled, standard hp/ high hp, EFI or diesel Walker. The Walkers low center of gravity is it's own enemy in rough terrain, needs more ground clearance, all that extra $$$$$HP is great but how often can it be used, or needed in a Walker is the bridge I have come to for our next ZTR purchase.

Jason Rose
09-19-2008, 10:51 PM
I've heard from more than one source that the MTL-31 is, from the factory, a faster machine in ground speed than any other MT walker. When someone that owns one and also owns a standard MT tells you the MTL is faster I see no reason to NOT belive him.

I have to agree with the latter statments about the horsepower. MY dealer will attest to this as well. There's no need at all for any engine larger than the 23hp for a MT machine if you are only going to be running the 48" GHS deck as the largest deck. I have to AGREE. My 20hp model had PLENTY of power, it rarely even bogged down. The 23hp I have now is great. More than that is pretty much a waste of money.

The Diesel option is a different story. Some people just have to have a diesel. Now, if you are only getting it for longevity, well, you can buy a replacement 23hp Kohler at 2,000 to 2,500 hours and still end up spending less than you would have for the diesel model, and both will have had a LOT of parts replaced in 5,000 hours. Actually most everything on the machine will be replaced in that time.

nosparkplugs
09-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Another option that is over looked for hills and long straight runs is the single tail wheel lock option.

The Kubota diesel engine is awesome, I keep seeing older Walkers in for service most recently a older MD diesel the frame was in decent shape, GHS had some rust showing through, the chute going through the front clam shell seems to wear out the fasted; however in all MD models I have seen the Kubota diesel engine's look like it was brand spanking new with over 5,000 hrs, not a drop of oil leaking anywhere.

grassaholic
09-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Nosparkplugs, I guess I missquoted the warranty on the air cooled engines. You got me there!! You are completely wrong about the ground speed of the MTL's. Go to your local Walker dealer and drive one around. I think you will be surprised at the speed they have. I have two Walkers in my trailer a 26 and a 31. The 31 blows the 26 away with its speed. No I don't really cut any faster with the 31 but, I do make it back to the truck to dump alot faster. I do agree that 31 HP is not needed to run a 48 or 52 collection deck but it sure does help in the spring and fall. I know I ran across plenty of lawns this spring that started to bog my 26 and required me to slow it down or it would clog. The 31 on the other hand just chugged right through it. I never thought I needed 31 HP in a Walker. Now that I have it, I don't think I would go back. I started out 15 yrs ago using a 52 in Bunton belt drive walk behind. It had a single cylinder 11 or 12 HP Briggs on it. I thought that mower was all you needed. Never thought I'd be running a 31 HP Walker back then!!:drinkup:

Lawdog302
09-22-2008, 10:57 AM
The MTL does come from the factory with a speed up kit and it also has extra steering dampeners to help keep the machine feeling safe and under control. The only reason I was thinking of the 31 is for the 74" deck. Some of what i mow isn't mowed every week and the extra power in thick grass would be nice. I now run 2 20hp with the 62" and generally have plenty of power, but i don't believe that it will pull a 74 in the thick stuff.

jeffscap
09-23-2008, 10:58 PM
We Run the split wheel axle on all our machines. On the hill standpoint they are great like the single wheel or wheels it doesn't promote the down sweep on the rear end on hills. if your running the high lift on the machine it helps because of the 63" lift on the rear of the machine.:rolleyes: