PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for my new Cat

ccstrebe
09-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Went and picked up the CT450 today to get it ready to take to the Cat dealer next week. My new Cat is supposed to be here Tues. I'm having a hard time sleeping at night.

Dirt Digger2
09-11-2008, 09:35 PM
you pull that with a 150????

stuvecorp
09-11-2008, 09:44 PM
you pull that with a 150????

Maybe it is nuclear powered? Don't know about stopping though.:dizzy:

Junior M
09-11-2008, 09:47 PM
seriously you pull that with a 150? i bet thats fun!!

one question.. where are the chains? or straps or whichever way you roll? whatever where are the tiedowns?

Hollowellreid
09-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I hate pulling an 1845 with our Isuzu NPR's.

I won't pull the 580 with the DT 466 International dump, not enough truck.

I see people pulling D3/450 dozers behind F250's and such. Scary.

How does it tow?

jefftb
09-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Holy Cr*p! an older F150 and a 450CT?!?!? Does that 450 not tip the scale at around 10,000+ lbs? I could maybe see a new F150 and the occ. tow of that 450 but you are well past the rating of the truck.

It would need nuclear power to move and 100% fire/heat resistant brakes to stop the truck. You must eat brake pads for lunch each time you move that thing.

Junior M
09-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I wouldnt put a 450 behind my 2500hd chevy!! I hate putting the 335 behind it but it says it can pull it so it is goin to pull it.. But man!!

There are guys here that pull fullsize backhoes with freakn f350's! I have even seen a guy put a D3 behind a f350 on a 10 ton gooseneck.. Okay I am sure it would have pulled it ok with a little struggle, or enough to get by for one move or two a month.. but this guy put the dozer slam on the nose of the trailer with a chain, with no binder, ran throught the hitch thing on the back. The chain was way to long and if it was it wouldnt have done anything because he had the blade slammed up against the neck of the trailer!

freakn fly by night clearing and grading companies!! will haul anything on a f350!

minimax
09-11-2008, 10:11 PM
You are going to get more crap over that pic then we give JR.
YOU ARE WHY WE ALL HAVE THE RULES THAT DOT COMES UP WITH!!!!!
A DOT guy would have a hay day with that setup writhing tickets:laugh::laugh:

minimax

DBL
09-11-2008, 10:14 PM
YOU ARE WHY WE ALL HAVE THE RULES THAT DOT COMES UP WITH!!!!!
A DOT guy would have a hay day with that setup writhing tickets:laugh::laugh:

minimax

hes got to make it to the weigh station first:laugh:

P.Services
09-11-2008, 10:17 PM
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i just pissed my self!!!

coopers
09-11-2008, 10:26 PM
hahaha, wow, that is quite a site!

Junior M
09-11-2008, 10:28 PM
YOU ARE WHY WE ALL HAVE THE RULES THAT DOT COMES UP WITH!!!!!:laugh::laugh:

minimax

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And I thought I caught a lot of crap for using straps!! Now you are goin to catch crap for no straps or chains then pulling it with an f-150..!!

This is for future users or people who plan on posting pics of there equipment loaded: always have it chained down (never use straps in a pic or just put chains on just for pics) and then use an appropriatley sized truck..

Oh yeah I forgot to add no matter how many chains you use there will never be enough to hold it down...

P.S. hey ccstrebe (however you spell it) When you stop to fuel up on the way home with your cat and a guy comes walking in while your standing in line and asks who is pulling the new cat with a half ton.. Dont say me.. just say what? i got to get some pics of that!!

bobcat_ron
09-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Ooooohhh you are going to hell for that pic with the half tonner!

jefftb
09-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Ooooohhh you are going to hell for that pic with the half tonner!

Gonna catch h**l on the way to it.....

P.Services
09-11-2008, 10:31 PM
welcome to the roast of ccstrebe!!!!!!

i hope you convinced cat to drop the new one off or you are going to catch it alot worse from all the guys at the yard.

KTM
09-11-2008, 10:32 PM
I just checked, A 450 weighs 10,925! and I bet that is dry and without a bucket, plus at least 2500 for that trailer, that should be max with A 1 ton dually.

dozerman21
09-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Maybe there's more to the story and he is on private property moving it a short distance... I would like to think he knows better than to pull it with that grocery getter, and that he knows how to boom down as well. The attachments he has listed aren't light either and they probably go on the trailer as well.

It's a shame the 450CT is getting traded in so early... the inside of the bucket still has paint!:eek:

ccstrebe
09-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Give me a break guys. I knew when I took the pctures you guys would say something about not being chained down. I chained it down after I took the pictures because I had the camera out for something else. The trailer has d-rings and I use chains to tie it down.

As far as brakes goes, the trailer has electric brakes on all fours so stopping has never been an issue. As far as pulling it with an F150, it pulls it ok as long as I'm not in a hurry. It takes a couple of blocks to get up to speed and 45-50 mph is about as fast as I'll take it. Fortunatly I don't have to move it very often and when I do it is only for a few miles. It stays out at the track 98% of the time. If I had to move it any kind of distance I'll use my buddies F250 powerstroke.

The trailer is a 14,000lb tilt deck trailer with a 4ft platform at the front. I can put my bucket on the platform and the CT450 with the laser grader on the tilt deck and still have a couple feet to spare.

When I take pictures of the new Cat I'll make sure its chained down for all you back seat DOT inspectors.

Bleed Green
09-11-2008, 10:43 PM
how many hours on that ct450?

CAT powered
09-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Listen, Junior.

Straps are just much less safe than chains we try to discourage use of them.

I saw you talkin about how they were heavy and dirty. Let me explain something to you.
You plan to work in dirt. Don't complain about dirty things. You complain about how heavy they are. I guess that means you need to hit the gym or spend some more time with a shovel in your lily white hands if you think they're too heavy.

That machine there belongs on a gooseneck behind a dually 1 ton at least. With at least 5 chains on it. Crossed whenever possible. Inside a stake pocket or rubrail. Make sure they're ratetd at 50% of the machine's weight at least. That's easy with chains and a machine that small though.

stuvecorp
09-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Give me a break guys. I knew when I took the pctures you guys would say something about not being chained down. I chained it down after I took the pictures because I had the camera out for something else. The trailer has d-rings and I use chains to tie it down.

As far as brakes goes, the trailer has electric brakes on all fours so stopping has never been an issue. As far as pulling it with an F150, it pulls it ok as long as I'm not in a hurry. It takes a couple of blocks to get up to speed and 45-50 mph is about as fast as I'll take it. Fortunatly I don't have to move it very often and when I do it is only for a few miles. It stays out at the track 98% of the time. If I had to move it any kind of distance I'll use my buddies F250 powerstroke.

The trailer is a 14,000lb tilt deck trailer with a 4ft platform at the front. I can put my bucket on the platform and the CT450 with the laser grader on the tilt deck and still have a couple feet to spare.

When I take pictures of the new Cat I'll make sure its chained down for all you back seat DOT inspectors.

I kinda figured you hadn't chained it yet but that 150 is way too small for moving that setup on public roads.

Junior M
09-11-2008, 10:49 PM
I kinda figured you hadn't chained it yet but that 150 is way too small for moving that setup on public roads.
I figured the same thing...

Dirtman2007
09-11-2008, 10:49 PM
BUILT FORD TOUGH! Hell yeah a chevy would have it's rear bumper on the ground with all that weight. Truck will pull it, just probably does not stop worth a crap!

Junior M
09-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Listen, Junior.

I saw you talkin about how they were heavy and dirty. Let me explain something to you.
You plan to work in dirt. Don't complain about dirty things. You complain about how heavy they are. I guess that means you need to hit the gym or spend some more time with a shovel in your lily white hands if you think they're too heavy.

That machine there belongs on a gooseneck behind a dually 1 ton at least. With at least 5 chains on it. Crossed whenever possible. Inside a stake pocket or rubrail. Make sure they're ratetd at 50% of the machine's weight at least. That's easy with chains and a machine that small though.

I was trying to get the point across and get his attention and just screwing around like always that it wasnt tied down..

and if you remember right I was talking about them being dirty because i usually go with dad to go pick up equipment after school and I dont want to get the clothes I pay for to be covered in rust stains.. and when I meant they were heavy I meant they were just harder to throw around and manipulate like a strap and when you are bone tired and have been working since sun up in the 100+ degree heat it is even more tiring to carry freakn chains around to tie down a backhoe and they are heavier and when you are used to throwning straps around like I am and then pick up a chain its like holy crap thats kinda heavy compared to what I am used to..

CAT powered
09-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Then get used to something new! And if you don't let your chains hang all over you then they won't get you rusty. Plain and simple.

Chains are just an all-around better idea. Grade 70 3/8" chain is twice as strong as a strap. Plus it won't break if it gets put on a sharp edge. Straps are just a bad idea. Chains are far safer.

I saw a very scary thing the other day. It was an F350 with a gooseneck loaded with a Dresser TD7 dozer. That's the equivalent of like a D3 or D4 CAT. They had 2 chains on it and 0 binders. He slowed down for a stoplight not even all that quickly and the dozer rolled forward 2 feet and hit the chains. I thought they were going to break and the dozer was going to head off the trailer. That was the worst tiedown job I've seen in a long while. If they'd just bothered to set the brake on the dozer or leave it in "gear" then it wouldn't have rolled at all.

KCfireman
09-11-2008, 11:23 PM
ill take some pictures of my dads tie down straps and chains on his UPS tractor trailer. He's hauls doubles to from KC to Omaha. The chains on his dolly that sits in the middle have to weigh almost 100 lbs.

ccstrebe
09-12-2008, 12:01 AM
how many hours on that ct450?

335hr

Anyone who wants to give me more than the Cat dealer does has about five days to speak up.

ccstrebe
09-12-2008, 12:07 AM
BUILT FORD TOUGH! Hell yeah a chevy would have it's rear bumper on the ground with all that weight. Truck will pull it, just probably does not stop worth a crap!

Like I said, the trailer has brakes on all fours. I can stop the whole rig with the electric brake lever and not touch the brakes in the truck.

Believe me when I say, I don't move it much and when I do I go slow and watch whats ahead of me so I don't have to do any emergency braking. I don't go on the freeways or highways just the side roads.

When I picked it up in Phoenix 2 years ago I used my buddies F250 powerstroke and I swear you couldn't even feel it behind that truck.

CAT powered
09-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Well that's cause it's a Powerstroke.

I had only 2k pounds more on a bumper pull behind my 6.0L F350 dually and I popped a tire on the trailer because it was rubbing the fender. Granted my fenders are bent like crazy, but still. It was a T300 with a FECON head on it. They told me it was about 12k pounds. I had to get the dealer to bring it back since I got it home alright just couldn't get it back to them. Not sure why it was a problem on the way out, but I found out it's only like 90$ to have them move it so in my case it's not worth my time.

Scag48
09-12-2008, 12:51 AM
I love it when guys use the "I don't move it much and when I do, I take it easy." You guys who use that as a crutch for a reason not to buy the proper truck are the reason the DOT is such a pain the ass. I couldn't give a damn if you went 20 MPH on the freeway to get that machine where it's going, the DOT wouldn't get a damn either, it's still illegal. A 297C behind that truck is a disaster waiting to happen.

minimax
09-12-2008, 01:07 AM
I was looking at the 450ct and the side screens are gone to right?
Add that to the no-no list:nono:

minimax

coopers
09-12-2008, 01:13 AM
ccstrebe- I figured there was something behind the no chains...I figured you weren't that dumb. Good choice in vehicles though, I am a proud owner of a nice F150 :)

Junior- You're going to continue to get crap when you ***** and moan about heat and chains and what not....just don't do it because you will be the next to get a lot of heat from those of us who have been there and done that....back pedaling is also frowned upon. :nono:

ccstrebe
09-12-2008, 02:11 AM
I was looking at the 450ct and the side screens are gone to right?
Add that to the no-no list:nono:

minimax

I was waiting for that one too.

If all I am doing is running a laser grader and grooming my motorcycle track with a blade and a scarifier why would no side screens be a no-no. It's not like I'm lifting chunks of concrete into a dump or working at a construction site where someone else could drop something on me.

stuvecorp
09-12-2008, 02:25 AM

If all I am doing is running a laser grader and grooming my motorcycle track with a blade and a scarifier why would no side screens be a no-no. It's not like I'm lifting chunks of concrete into a dump or working at a construction site where someone else could drop something on me.

Think about it for just a little bit.:rolleyes:

Dirt Digger2
09-12-2008, 03:27 AM
I love it when guys use the "I don't move it much and when I do, I take it easy." You guys who use that as a crutch for a reason not to buy the proper truck are the reason the DOT is such a pain the ass.

its very true...even if the truck can "pull" it you still need a bigger truck...i am not out to make enemies by any means on this site...i like to share the knowledge i have learned over the years and i take criticism with open arms...but guys that pull the max GVCW with their trucks are the guys that get us with CDL's pulled over all the time...its hard enough running a medium/big truck, but pulling that weight with a half ton kills all of us....and it is not just your fault by any means...theres so many guys in my area that do the same...so DOT sets up checkpoints to pull them over, but at the same time they will pull me over too since they are already there...it just erks me...

Dirt Digger2
09-12-2008, 03:35 AM
I wouldnt put a 450 behind my 2500hd chevy!! \

JR. there is a huge step between a half ton and a 3/4 ton...a 3/4 ton (especially a diesel) will pull a house down...i have pulled more then i cared with a 250 diesel...TL130 with a 2500lb trailer (10,000lbs) and i didn't like it...even though the 250 is rated to tow more i wouldn't want to. that 450 would be no problem behind a 2500...and it would be legal

hahaha...sorry i had to take advantage...sorry JLM but everyone else was using the "junior" thing so i had to partake

09-12-2008, 04:10 AM

Got any pics of the track?:waving:

I raced a bit too. Never super fast but won a couple state championships in the C class in 2007. Sold the bikes (2006 yz290f, 2006 yz250, and 2006 yz450f, and a couple pit bikes) last winter and have regretted it ever since. Gonna do another big bored 250f when I do it again. Had hotcams, full hinson clutch, big bore, susp done, yeah the 290f was nice... damb it now I miss it bad.

ccstrebe
09-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Got any pics of the track?:waving:

I raced a bit too. Never super fast but won a couple state championships in the C class in 2007. Sold the bikes (2006 yz290f, 2006 yz250, and 2006 yz450f, and a couple pit bikes) last winter and have regretted it ever since. Gonna do another big bored 250f when I do it again. Had hotcams, full hinson clutch, big bore, susp done, yeah the 290f was nice... damb it now I miss it bad.

http://happytrack.com/html/track_0.html

ccstrebe
09-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Think about it for just a little bit.:rolleyes:

Enlighten me.

ccstrebe
09-12-2008, 10:37 AM
:cry::cry:What a bunch of haters.:cry::cry:

Everyone is always saying let see pictures, lets see pictures, we want pictures. So all I do is post a picture of my rig getting ready to trade it in and everyone is crying about how small my truck is. It's not like I drive around everyday going from jobsite to jobsite. I might move it from the track a couple times a year either for repairs or to do something around the house, thats it. I go slow and I'm on side roads. I'm not buying a 1 ton truck for a couple times a year.

Believe me, if I had to move this thing all the time I would get a bigger truck.

Flame on!!

ksss
09-12-2008, 11:30 AM
If you got a goose neck trailer that would help. Your 450 doesn't look like it had ride control unless you took the sticker off, odd for having it loaded up otherwise. Did you cut the screens out of the cab? I am not sure how you fix that. How do you move it to make money with it? Or is this just a personal toy to build on your bike track?

ccstrebe
09-12-2008, 12:25 PM
If you got a goose neck trailer that would help. Your 450 doesn't look like it had ride control unless you took the sticker off, odd for having it loaded up otherwise. Did you cut the screens out of the cab? I am not sure how you fix that. How do you move it to make money with it? Or is this just a personal toy to build on your bike track?

I looked at goose necks and it seemed like they were all deck over wheels and I thought keeping all that weight as low as possible with a small truck would be a safer bet.

Ride control sticker started to peal off on that side so I took it off, it is still on the other side.

I cut the screens out for three reasons. 1st reason was because there was virtually no way to clean the windows through the screen. 2nd reason was because I wanted/needed better visibility. 3rd reason, their window setup leaked dust like a sieve and the only way to seal it up was to put solid tempered glass in. I was able to kill three birds with one stone. As far as fixing it, it would be fairly simple to just bolt a screen on the way they did it in the old days.

When I did it I thought that I was going to be keeping this unit for life. As far as the new Cat goes I'm going to use it a few months to make sure I'm not going to have any major problems with it that would require giving it back and if it is a keeper I'll cut the screens out it it too!! I like to keep my glass crystal clear clean. I also ordered the door with glass.

Technically, I don't make a dime with it. If I include the monthly payments into the track expences it is a break even proposition. But I get so much enjoyment out of operating it that it is almost theraputic.

When I put that track together I started with a Case 480LL and a 1485. I was able to rough out the track with them but couln't really do any decent track prep with them. That was when I got a 440 and a 6ft laser grader but the 440 wasn't big enough to run the laser grader so that was when I got the 450 and a 7ft laser grader and made a couple of custom attachments. At first I thought the 450 was a keeper but between not being able to seal the cab and how rigid the ride was over the jumps and bumps and how much it tore up finished grade, I have determined that an MTL is going to be my best bet.

YellowDogSVC
09-12-2008, 12:27 PM
I saw a very scary thing the other day. It was an F350 with a gooseneck loaded with a Dresser TD7 dozer. That's the equivalent of like a D3 or D4 CAT. They had 2 chains on it and 0 binders. He slowed down for a stoplight not even all that quickly and the dozer rolled forward 2 feet and hit the chains. I thought they were going to break and the dozer was going to head off the trailer. That was the worst tiedown job I've seen in a long while. If they'd just bothered to set the brake on the dozer or leave it in "gear" then it wouldn't have rolled at all.

I can't compete with that story but there was a local guy who moved a JD 450 track loader with an old farm truck, beat up trailer and two 3500 lb yellow straps. Scary.. Truck also had no parking brake!

dozerman21
09-12-2008, 04:02 PM
I looked at goose necks and it seemed like they were all deck over wheels and I thought keeping all that weight as low as possible with a small truck would be a safer bet.

Ride control sticker started to peal off on that side so I took it off, it is still on the other side.

I cut the screens out for three reasons. 1st reason was because there was virtually no way to clean the windows through the screen. 2nd reason was because I wanted/needed better visibility. 3rd reason, their window setup leaked dust like a sieve and the only way to seal it up was to put solid tempered glass in. I was able to kill three birds with one stone. As far as fixing it, it would be fairly simple to just bolt a screen on the way they did it in the old days.

When I did it I thought that I was going to be keeping this unit for life. As far as the new Cat goes I'm going to use it a few months to make sure I'm not going to have any major problems with it that would require giving it back and if it is a keeper I'll cut the screens out it it too!! I like to keep my glass crystal clear clean. I also ordered the door with glass.

Technically, I don't make a dime with it. If I include the monthly payments into the track expences it is a break even proposition. But I get so much enjoyment out of operating it that it is almost theraputic.

When I put that track together I started with a Case 480LL and a 1485. I was able to rough out the track with them but couln't really do any decent track prep with them. That was when I got a 440 and a 6ft laser grader but the 440 wasn't big enough to run the laser grader so that was when I got the 450 and a 7ft laser grader and made a couple of custom attachments. At first I thought the 450 was a keeper but between not being able to seal the cab and how rigid the ride was over the jumps and bumps and how much it tore up finished grade, I have determined that an MTL is going to be my best bet.

What else do you do besides working at the track? Any other excavating work?

When you say that the 440 wouldn't run the laser grader what do you mean? Not enough weight, traction...?

ccstrebe
09-12-2008, 05:01 PM
What else do you do besides working at the track? Any other excavating work?

When you say that the 440 wouldn't run the laser grader what do you mean? Not enough weight, traction...?

My source of income comes from a small manufacturing facility that I own that makes instituional cabinets for schools, hospitals, and municipal buildings.

The track is just an expensive hobby that I was fortunate enough to be able to have had the time and money to put it together. It is a break even operation that allows me a place to ride my motocross bike and play in the dirt with my heavy iron toys.

The biggest problem with the 440 was when the grader box was full of dirt I couldn't get it to turn, it just wanted to go straight. It didn't have the weight/traction to run that grader box the way I needed to run it. Also it didn't have hi-flow hyd so it wouldn't run the power rake. Not to mention a wheeled unit wanted to follow the terrain (small holes) instead over going over them.

The 450 with hi-flow took care of all three problems and allowed me to go to a larger grader box.

kreft
09-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey jlm- At least we use straps, right. I'm i right? lol. I'm joking

PerfectEarth
09-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Oh my Lord- An F-150.

Sir, please do not refer to your setup as a "rig." Please refer to it as "a horrible accident waiting to happen, driven by someone who is downright irresponsible"

You simply have NO excuse to pull (or try and stop) that kind of weight with that truck. It's simply illegal and foolish. Don't buy larger equipment if you can't transport it down the street. Or if you can't hire someone to move it in a safe way.

I would never wish harm on you, but you're gonna get a rude awakening one day. Sorry to be harsh, like some others, but it cannot be stressed enough how idiotic and dangerous that setup is. Rant over.

ccstrebe
09-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Oh my Lord- An F-150.

Sir, please do not refer to your setup as a "rig." Please refer to it as "a horrible accident waiting to happen, driven by someone who is downright irresponsible"

You simply have NO excuse to pull (or try and stop) that kind of weight with that truck. It's simply illegal and foolish. Don't buy larger equipment if you can't transport it down the street. Or if you can't hire someone to move it in a safe way.

I would never wish harm on you, but you're gonna get a rude awakening one day. Sorry to be harsh, like some others, but it cannot be stressed enough how idiotic and dangerous that setup is. Rant over.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Lazer_Z
09-12-2008, 06:44 PM
ccstrebe, I'm not going to break your b@lls about the F-150 towing that trailer. All I'm going to do is remind you to take pictures of the Cat when it arrives, so please don't forget to take plenty of pictures when you get it.

Dirt Digger2
09-12-2008, 06:57 PM
theres a guy here selling a 297C with like 50 hours on it for $55K i think...he paid 77 for it...he thought he would have more use for it but doesnt

whats the weight difference between the 450 and 297?

Junior M
09-12-2008, 07:20 PM
JR. there is a huge step between a half ton and a 3/4 ton...a 3/4 ton (especially a diesel) will pull a house down...i have pulled more then i cared with a 250 diesel...TL130 with a 2500lb trailer (10,000lbs) and i didn't like it...even though the 250 is rated to tow more i wouldn't want to. that 450 would be no problem behind a 2500...and it would be legal

hahaha...sorry i had to take advantage...sorry JLM but everyone else was using the "junior" thing so i had to partake
Haha yeah I noticed everybody is calling me junior now so I added it in my signature!!

I am sure it could pull it but our chevy 2500 pulls horrible for some reason.. I think it might be a computer or something.. But we just changed the tranny and had a small grading job about an hour from the house so we rented the bobcat 430 and in that hour of pulling the tranny started over heating on a couple small hills.. What you guys up north would call humps we call hills.. We had just changed the tranny fluid and dont a complete service on it and we thought maybe it would make it better.. For some reason my dad has never had good luck with the new chevy 2500's and pulling.. His last truck was a 1998 2500 longbed regular cab and it was just horrible!! I cant even describe how horrible it would pull.. like for example when we would get on the interchange it would drop down to 30 or less depending on what we were pulling.. But we mostly think it was because of the gearing but who knows..

Lazer_Z
09-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Junior, Your Dad's 2500 is a extended cab short bed is it not? What's the GVW rating on it? One last question, what year is it?

Junior M
09-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Ksss what is ride control? is it like the torsion axles on or whatever you call it like cat has? or is it some genius idea that case came up with?

It is a 2002 chevy 2500hd crewcab short bed with a 6.0

ccstrebe
09-12-2008, 07:30 PM
theres a guy here selling a 297C with like 50 hours on it for $55K i think...he paid 77 for it...he thought he would have more use for it but doesnt

whats the weight difference between the 450 and 297?

About 700 lbs less, here is a spec comparison

ccstrebe
09-12-2008, 07:36 PM
ccstrebe, I'm not going to break your b@lls about the F-150 towing that trailer. All I'm going to do is remind you to take pictures of the Cat when it arrives, so please don't forget to take plenty of pictures when you get it.

I'll take plenty of pictures.

CAT powered
09-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Junior. The reason it don't pull worth a dime is cause it's a Chevy!

I'd rather see that Case behind a 150 Ford than a 2500 Chevy. Much safer.

The reason your Chevy is breaking is because well... it's a Chevy.

Chevrolet: Can Hear Every Valve Rattle, Oil Leaks, Engine Ticks
Ford: First On Race Day

Anyways. That really does belong behind a bigger truck regardless of how many times a year it gets moved. It only takes 1 time to cause an accident.

qps
09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
I wont bust you for the f150, I pull my 297C with my F350 single axle or my F450 and I can tell you that you'll know its back there no matter what your driving...

Lazer_Z
09-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Junior. The reason it don't pull worth a dime is cause it's a Chevy!

I'd rather see that Case behind a 150 Ford than a 2500 Chevy. Much safer.

The reason your Chevy is breaking is because well... it's a Chevy.

Chevrolet: Can Hear Every Valve Rattle, Oil Leaks, Engine Ticks
Ford: First On Race Day

Anyways. That really does belong behind a bigger truck regardless of how many times a year it gets moved. It only takes 1 time to cause an accident.

Please, It goes like this, Fu*ked Over Rebuilt Doge.

I'd put that trailer with that 450 behind a 2500HD although I'd have a tarp over the machine as I'd hate to bee seen with it. Put that trailer behind a Chevy Silverado 2500HD extend cab or crew, long bed with the 6.0 V8 or a D-max and you'll pull that trailer anywhere you want. God now I sound like Junior, some one shoot me NOW! :laugh:

Seriously, Lay off the guy he's made it clear that his hauls are short distance hauls. He's not in the excavation biz like some of you, so why should he have a 3/4 toner if he doesn't need one?

dozerman21
09-12-2008, 08:16 PM
My source of income comes from a small manufacturing facility that I own that makes instituional cabinets for schools, hospitals, and municipal buildings.The track is just an expensive hobby that I was fortunate enough to be able to have had the time and money to put it together.* It is a break even operation that allows me a place to ride my motocross bike and play in the dirt with my heavy iron toys.The biggest problem with the 440 was when the grader box was full of dirt I couldn't get it to turn, it just wanted to go straight.* It didn't have the weight/traction to run that grader box the way I needed to run it.* Also it didn't have hi-flow hyd so it wouldn't run the power rake.* Not to mention a wheeled unit wanted to follow the terrain (small holes) instead over going over them.The 450 with hi-flow took care of all three problems and allowed me to go to a larger grader box.

I see... I was thinking of a 440CT tracked machine, not a wheeled 440.

Why did you need hi flow for the power rake? Myself and the other guys I know using them just have standard flow on the Harley/Paladine brands. Is the Q/A different?

ksss
09-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Ksss what is ride control? is it like the torsion axles on or whatever you call it like cat has? or is it some genius idea that case came up with?

It is a 2002 chevy 2500hd crewcab short bed with a 6.0

Well Jr. the loader arms are cushioned when you hold the RC trigger (uses an accumulator like on a backhoe or wheel loader). You can run over reasonably rough terrain in high high gear and not spill the load or bang your head on the headliner. Greatest thing since sliced bread. Yes it was a CASE idea, now Gehl and CAT have it as does BC but according to Yellowdog they bastardized it some how.

P.Services
09-12-2008, 08:48 PM
i like that idea a lot about cutting out the screens.

ccstrebe
09-12-2008, 09:16 PM
I see... I was thinking of a 440CT tracked machine, not a wheeled 440.

Why did you need hi flow for the power rake? Myself and the other guys I know using them just have standard flow on the Harley/Paladine brands. Is the Q/A different?

I'm not sure of the diameter of the drum on the Harley/Paladine but the Quick Attatch has a 10" drum. According to Quick Attatch its bigger than the competition. On anything firmer than loamy soil on the 440 with standard flow it would stall out. On the 450 with hi-flow as long as you went slow enough it would pulverize hard packed soil. In fact it worked too good and I don't use it anymore. It pulverized the soil so fine but left a hard pan three inches down that that tires on the bikes would blow through the fine soil and slip out on the hard pan. I wound up making a custom attachment that works incredibly well.

ccstrebe
09-12-2008, 09:19 PM
i like that idea a lot about cutting out the screens.

The visibility and ability to clean the glass is unsurpassed. You want to make sure to use tempered glass though. I had to have templates made and the glass custom cut and then tempered.

stuvecorp
09-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Enlighten me.

Those screens are there to keep the operator in and stuff outside. So if you roll your machine off a jump, the window is going to keep you safe?

Look, you can probably come watch me and find stuff that I do not quite right but try to limit unsafe behavior as much as you can.

ccstrebe
09-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Those screens are there to keep the operator in and stuff outside. So if you roll your machine off a jump, the window is going to keep you safe?

Look, you can probably come watch me and find stuff that I do not quite right but try to limit unsafe behavior as much as you can.

I wonder what the shoulder belt and lap bar are for, if not for a rollover, what then?

And I have already explained about keeping outside stuff from coming in, there is none.

I would rather have good visibility and clean glass than feel like a caged animal.

bobcat_ron
09-12-2008, 11:11 PM
I
I would rather have good visibility and clean glass than feel like a caged animal.

Every Case skid steer makes you feel like a caged animal, that's why operators are always so insane like KSSS is. http://deephousepage.com/smilies/pullhair.gif

Junior M
09-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Please, It goes like this, Fu*ked Over Rebuilt Doge.

I'd put that trailer with that 450 behind a 2500HD although I'd have a tarp over the machine as I'd hate to bee seen with it. Put that trailer behind a Chevy Silverado 2500HD extend cab or crew, long bed with the 6.0 V8 or a D-max and you'll pull that trailer anywhere you want. God now I sound like Junior, some one shoot me NOW! :laugh:

Seriously, Lay off the guy he's made it clear that his hauls are short distance hauls. He's not in the excavation biz like some of you, so why should he have a 3/4 toner if he doesn't need one?
That was wrong!!! :laugh:

Oh and about the chevy thing.. I am mad you are right!! You can hear the freakn valves rattling and the engine ticks.. Its freakn horrible!!

Also forget FORD I want a dodge!!

CAT powered
09-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Dodge?

Drips Oil, Drops Grease Everywhere

The only time a Dodge is worth having is if you have a Cummins in it. Don't even waste your time with a Dodge gasser. In fact. Don't waste your time with any gasser.

Junior M
09-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Dodge?

Drips Oil, Drops Grease Everywhere

The only time a Dodge is worth having is if you have a Cummins in it. Don't even waste your time with a Dodge gasser. In fact. Don't waste your time with any gasser.
Heck yes!!

Yeah I dont want a gas! If I could afford it I would buy a diesel for my first truck but I am hoping on getting a 1998 gmc 3500 crew cab 4x4.. Its a 454 but I cant afford a decent diesel..

CAT powered
09-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Honestly if you could bum a truck off someone else for a while you might be better off having a car and getting decent mileage with it. Fuel prices are only going to go up from where they are now.

CAT powered
09-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Bad wording and no editing:

You might be better off borrowing someone else's truck if you need it and having your own car. Truck fuel gets expensive fast at 14mpgs.

02DURAMAX
09-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Heck yes!!

Yeah I dont want a gas! If I could afford it I would buy a diesel for my first truck but I am hoping on getting a 1998 gmc 3500 crew cab 4x4.. Its a 454 but I cant afford a decent diesel..

Hey if your looking for one a friend has a 99 or 2000 for sale its a 3500HD White Dump 454....He wants $6500!

Scag48
09-13-2008, 04:40 AM
Saying that you only tow that much weight behind an F150 every so often is like saying that you drink and drive, just not very often. At the end of the day, it's still dangerous and it's still illegal. Oh yeah, cutting and modifying ROPS structures is lillegal I believe. Just thought I'd let you know. Again, just becuase you think you don't need those screens doesn't make it a good idea, you're dead if that machine rolls over. I know you're getting rid of it, but I sure as hell wouldn't buy a machine without the screens, they're there for a reason.

I'm not here to pick fights with anyone, but your attitude toward this type of work scares the hell out of me. I pray that you don't kill someone or yourself in the process of your inability to make sound decisions.

AWJ Services
09-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Oh yeah, cutting and modifying ROPS structures is lillegal I believe. Just thought I'd let you know. Again, just becuase you think you don't need those screens doesn't make it a good idea, you're dead if that machine rolls over. I know you're getting rid of it, but I sure as hell wouldn't buy a machine without the screens, they're there for a reason.

Even if it's not illegal too modify them think of the insurance repercussions.
Major accident and you could loose everything.
Your insurance company will not pay if you are not in compliance.

ccstrebe
09-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Oh yeah, cutting and modifying ROPS structures is lillegal I believe. Again, just becuase you think you don't need those screens doesn't make it a good idea, you're dead if that machine rolls over.

I'm not here to pick fights with anyone, but your attitude toward this type of work scares the hell out of me. I pray that you don't kill someone or yourself in the process of your inability to make sound decisions.

Even if it's not illegal too modify them think of the insurance repercussions.

Major accident and you could loose everything. Your insurance company will not pay if you are not in compliance.

Guys you are not hearing me, you are too busy trying to bust my chops. I am the only one operating the machine, all I'm doing is maintaining my track, I wouldn't let anyone touch my machine so I don't have to worry about killing someone else, no need to pray for me. You think I'm going to pay 70 grand for a new toy and let someone else mess it up.

Everyone keeps talking about rolling it over, you guys do realize that it has tracks, right ? I don't know if you have run a 7ft wide tracked machine, but they are so stable that if you were ever in a position to roll it over then you probably shouldn't be allowed to operate one. If you think screens are the difference between safe and not safe in a rollover, then how come front loaders and tractors don't have them, they would roll easier than a tracked unit.

Now wheeled units are a different story. Even if it was my own unit I wouldn't cut them out. As you can see in the previous picture of the 1845, a wheeled unit can roll easily. I can gladly say I wasn't the one who rolled it (my buddy did, thats him in the 480) but I watch it happen and I couldn't believe it rolled on such a small incline.

As far as being illegal, that just as silly statement. To take a quote from Al Gore "Whose the controlling legal authority?":laugh:

If I worked in conditions that needed that kind of protection then I would leave them in. I repeat, If I worked in conditions that needed that kind of protection then I would leave them in. I'm not an excavator contractor, I'm not a landscaper, I don't employee anybody.

Operating my machine is my weekly therapy session, thats why I got all the bells and whistles. I want my therapy session the be as enjoyable as possible and for me that means getting rid of the screen.

And just to piss you guys off, I'm going to take my brand new Cat and do the same thing.:laugh:

stuvecorp
09-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Now you are just being a tool.

ccstrebe
09-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Was it the smiley faces?

Construct'O
09-13-2008, 12:17 PM
As far as the screens goes i think there on there more because of the possibility of someone sticking their arm or hand out through the sides in between the arms and getting injuryed more then for roll over protection.

I was told by dealer the screens are for the libility of the manufacture of the equipment in getting sued if not equiped qith them.It would be nice if they was bolted on or or made removable to clean,but we know why that isn't:dancing:

I don't like the problem of the dirty windows also,but atleast the Case was on the outside ???? if so you could powerwash them too clean them.Some machines(Deere) they are on the inside and are a real pain to keep clean,without washing the whole inside of the machine.

Anyone have easy way of cleaning the inside ones with the screen????

Good luck with your new machine:usflag:

AWJ Services
09-13-2008, 12:32 PM
They unbolt on Takeuchi.

ccstrebe
09-13-2008, 12:54 PM
As far as the screens goes i think there on there more because of the possibility of someone sticking their arm or hand out through the sides in between the arms and getting injuryed more then for roll over protection.

I was told by dealer the screens are for the libility of the manufacture of the equipment in getting sued if not equiped qith them.It would be nice if they was bolted on or or made removable to clean,but we know why that isn't:dancing:

I don't like the problem of the dirty windows also,but atleast the Case was on the outside ???? if so you could powerwash them too clean them.Some machines(Deere) they are on the inside and are a real pain to keep clean,without washing the whole inside of the machine.

Anyone have easy way of cleaning the inside ones with the screen????

Good luck with your new machine:usflag:

Your right about sticking your hands through and getting severed by the loader arms and the liability asspect, that is why the screens are there. I couldn't imagine the damage that could do to someone.

These guys were stuck on the rollover aspect and that is not what the screens are for. Of course my solid glass panels keeps the bodily apendages from getting accidently severed.

The Case leaked dust into the cab so bad and it was so tight inside the cab that it was virtually impossible to clean the glass behind the screen.

Things have been a little slow around here lately so I thought I would spice things up a bit.

Construct'O
09-13-2008, 01:14 PM
They unbolt on Takeuchi.

AWJ are yours on the inside or the outside:confused:

Your going to get me converted,just not to red clay(concrete) area:)

Wet here again 5" of rain yesterday and more on the way.Mud.....DDDDDDDDDY here:cry::usflag:

finance2999
09-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Please don't cut out your side mesh. All of the new C series machines have easily removable side windows for cleaning. All you do is line up the edges of the glass with the notches in the glass frame, push up, and pull out. Takes 2 seconds literally. Visibility with the mesh is fine on the C's now that the fenders have been taken away (compared to the B's)
Good luck with your 297C, it's an awesome machine.

CAT powered
09-13-2008, 04:39 PM
I have a 236B CAT and all the windows come out so that you can clean them.

And not trying to start another argument, but you could potentially kill someone with a machine if it rolled over onto them. Say you got too close to the edge of a steep jump and the track slid off. Or the jump was muddy and you slid off the edge. You could tip it that way.

YardPro
09-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Listen, Junior.

that is simply NOT true.....

a 4" strap has a much higher working load than a chain and binder......

CAT powered
09-13-2008, 04:51 PM
A 4" strap outdoes chain?

I'm quite sure that Grade 100 5/8" chain could outdo a strap by FAR. Your WLL for a 1/2" grade 100 with alloy binder have a working load limit of 15,000 pounds.
http://www.awdirect.com/alloy-ratchet-load-binder-for-5-16quot-3-8quot-1-2quot-grade-40-70-80-100-chain-drx15/load-binders/

The chain itself is rated for 22,000 pounds.

Chain is better than straps. There is a reason professional haulers don't tie down machines with straps.

AWJ Services
09-13-2008, 06:20 PM
AWJ are yours on the inside or the outside

The outside.

It rained a bunch this week here.Held up my demo job.

Junior M
09-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Bad wording and no editing:

You might be better off borrowing someone else's truck if you need it and having your own car. Truck fuel gets expensive fast at 14mpgs.
Nah I have thought of that but it just wont work.. I will need to be able to go pick up equipment after school and haul all my material for electric and irrigation.. and I hate borrowing peoples stuff.. Also I dont know of anyone with a truck heavy enough (other than my dad who drives his truck everywhere) to haul equipment that doesnt do this full time and always needs it around..

and 02duramax I dont want to drive a dumptruck back and forth to school, to the movies, and football games and place like that.. I would just rather get a p/u, put a transfer tank and tool box in it and i will be happy.. Oh, and a gooseneck hitch..

BrandonV
09-13-2008, 09:01 PM
you should come up to NC people up here drive a f350 dually to work just for the sake of driving a f350 dually to work... well there were, diesel prices kicking them.

kreft
09-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Diesel is 4.05 here. last week it was 4.10

ksss
09-13-2008, 11:30 PM
I have a 236B CAT and all the windows come out so that you can clean them.

And not trying to start another argument, but you could potentially kill someone with a machine if it rolled over onto them. Say you got too close to the edge of a steep jump and the track slid off. Or the jump was muddy and you slid off the edge. You could tip it that way.

The windows come out of the orginal series 400 machines as well, although it takes a couple minutes. The Series 3 machines pop out very quickly, no tools.

The guy cuts the screens on his machine and tows with a half ton you guys think he has a screw loose. I knew there was a problem well before that. Anyone who trades a CASE for a CAT, obviously has issues.:laugh:

ccstrebe
09-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Please don't cut out your side mesh. All of the new C series machines have easily removable side windows for cleaning. All you do is line up the edges of the glass with the notches in the glass frame, push up, and pull out. Takes 2 seconds literally. Visibility with the mesh is fine on the C's now that the fenders have been taken away (compared to the B's)
Good luck with your 297C, it's an awesome machine.

If what you say is true then I'll have to reconsider. Also, that's just one more reason to switch from Case to Cat, sorry KSSS.

Scag48
09-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Regardless of who runs the machine or what you're doing, there is always a potential to roll a machine over. If I was doing what you're doing, I'd definately want every piece of rollover safety equipment in 100% working order. Don't suppose how you think you couldn't roll a machine over building jumps. Even the most veteran of operators lose iron over the side, to deny that simple fact is ignorance.

And when I said you're going to kill someone, I wasn't referring to letting someone run a machine with a faulty ROPS. I meant by tranporting it via a vehicle that is good for about half the payload is the route for wiping out a family of 4 in a minivan going to the beach on a Saturday. Think about how selfish and ignorant you are by trying to haul a machine with a grossly underrated vehicle. That is stupidity, in my book. Sorry man, like I said, I don't come here to bash people, but you're not making good choices. If you don't haul the machine much, seriously consider paying someone to do it right. Might only cost you a couple hundred bucks if that to have it done worry free. The guilty conscience of killing someone because you KNEW your load was too much for your rig before you took off would be more than I can bear, even then, you'd be tried for manslaughter and possibly premeditated murder.

Running equipment and transporting them you have to think of every possible worst case scenario. Obviously the grass is greener on your side of the fence and nothing bad ever happens. Hope that keeps up for you or you could be in a world of hurt.

P.Services
09-14-2008, 01:16 AM
i dont think he ever denied it, hell he has shown pics of it!!!!

bobcat_ron
09-14-2008, 11:47 AM
In all my 17 years of operating skid steers, not once have I ever rolled one over, the mesh doesn't really do too much as far as reinforcing the ROPS, it's just to keep things out/in from getting pinched between the loader arms, and as long as there is an adequate amount of glass to keep things in/out it shouldn't be a problem.

Look at JCB's Robot, they already eliminated one side and put a door on the other side.

KTM
09-14-2008, 12:21 PM
I would hate to see some off your reactions to some of the farm skids I have seen, old tippy short wheelbase small machines with the ROPS cut right off.

ccstrebe
09-14-2008, 01:53 PM
And when I said you're going to kill someone, I wasn't referring to letting someone run a machine with a faulty ROPS. I meant by tranporting it via a vehicle that is good for about half the payload is the route for wiping out a family of 4 in a minivan going to the beach on a Saturday. Think about how selfish and ignorant you are by trying to haul a machine with a grossly underrated vehicle. That is stupidity, in my book. Sorry man, like I said, I don't come here to bash people, but you're not making good choices. If you don't haul the machine much, seriously consider paying someone to do it right. Might only cost you a couple hundred bucks if that to have it done worry free. The guilty conscience of killing someone because you KNEW your load was too much for your rig before you took off would be more than I can bear, even then, you'd be tried for manslaughter and possibly premeditated murder.

Running equipment and transporting them you have to think of every possible worst case scenario. Obviously the grass is greener on your side of the fence and nothing bad ever happens. Hope that keeps up for you or you could be in a world of hurt.

No beaches around here. Oh, and by the way, I use the machine on Saturdays.

Dude, this is a farming community. If you want to see what the farmers are driving around with on the same side roads that I am taking my little piss ant rig on I'll be happy to take some pictures. We get at least one serious accident a year from someone running into the back of a tractor hauling something the whole width of the road.

Hate to say it, but now you are starting to sound a little like Gravel Rat in some aspects. I just figured out why, you live in the same neck of the woods.

Scag48
09-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Well, ignorance is bliss, you sure have that figured out. Hope it keeps working for you.

Like I said, not here to bash you or bring you down, you have a toy to play with on the weekends that you don't charge to operate. But, you have to realize what you're doing is fairly unsafe. I'm more disappointed with your attitude about it. Instead of trying to defend your ways, I was hoping maybe you'd listen to reason and make some changes. But hey, what do I know, I only do this for a living.

Gravel Rat
09-14-2008, 04:21 PM
I looked at the pictures of the 1/2 ton pulling the skid. Either you have 2x4s jammed between the rear axle and frame and 100 psi in the tires the picture looks like a photochop :laugh:

Ohwell why get uptight about it what comes around goes around one day he will be pulling a heavy skid behind his 1/2 ton and the DOT will catch him or he will spend some time in jail for killing a familly. Glad he doesn't live in B.C. if he tried that stunt on a 10% grade he would be dead in seconds.

I wouldn't even pull that big CTL behind my 03 F-450.

As for removing the screen I would have put lexan or high strength plastic a tempered window shatters too easy. Automotive style window with the plastic would be okay.

You look at a open ROPs rubber tired backhoe there is nothing around you except for the 4 corner posts and a lid. Alteast with a skid steer the arms of the machine give you some protection.

P.Services
09-14-2008, 04:23 PM
i dont think its really that big of a deal, i bet it can stop quick as shat. i know my trailer will with the brake controller set right. i have pulled 27k pounds with my dodge 3/4 ton thats the same level of overload just on a different scale. my dad has pulled a d61p on a 10 ton trailer, same level. it happens all day every day. i would throw some kid in there driving but its me and my experience that makes it as safe as it can be.

Gravel Rat
09-14-2008, 05:02 PM
All you have to think about is one thin 14 gauge wire(s) fail on connection from the truck to the trailer you have no brakes. If the electric brakes ever failed and your pulling a load with a undersized truck you have no hope in hell controlling it. Maybe where you guys consider a 6% grade steep or even a 4% grade steep might not want to be traveling in areas with 10% grades and switch backs.

There are hills I have gone down with a F-450 loaded to 15,000lbs and don't even know if I could stop. There are some hills even my empty truck (9400lbs) you can feel it.

I only use the brakes if I need to and if I do its only light brake pressure. You use the gears and knowing how to drive in the hills. With the truck loaded to 15-16,000lbs the brakes never get hot. You roast your brakes your done on the next hill because they are glazed over and you have no stopping power.

Steep grades don't bother me h*ll driveways are 12% or more you put the truck in low gear both feet on the brake pedal and go for it. When all 4 wheels are locked up and your still sliding on a concrete driveway you know its steep :laugh:

ccstrebe
09-14-2008, 05:03 PM
I looked at the pictures of the 1/2 ton pulling the skid. Either you have 2x4s jammed between the rear axle and frame and 100 psi in the tires the picture looks like a photochop :laugh:

Oh well why get uptight about it what comes around goes around one day he will be pulling a heavy skid behind his 1/2 ton and the DOT will catch him or he will spend some time in jail for killing a familly. Glad he doesn't live in B.C. if he tried that stunt on a 10% grade he would be dead in seconds.

I wouldn't even pull that big CTL behind my 03 F-450.

As for removing the screen I would have put lexan or high strength plastic a tempered window shatters too easy. Automotive style window with the plastic would be okay.

You look at a open ROPs rubber tired backhoe there is nothing around you except for the 4 corner posts and a lid. Alteast with a skid steer the arms of the machine give you some protection.

Oh my gosh, for someone who acts like they know it all and has been in the dirt business, that has got to be one of the dumbest statements I ever heard.

2x4's or photoshopped? I don't know what to say. I guess maybe if I would have moved the machine forward about 2 more feet on the trailer bed then it would looked like what you are looking for, right?

Of course then, I would have the trailer loaded off center of the axles and that would be unsafe........I think. I don't know, I'm ignorant.

Maybe your right, it is photochopped...........or..............maybe I loaded the trailer correctly and I'm letting my 14,000 lb trailer with brakes on all four wheels do all the work.

All flat ground around here, I live in the desert. If I lived in BC with 10% grades then I wouldn't be hauling it with a 1/2 ton truck, of course we won't ever have to worry about that, if it's as bad around there as you say it is.

Plastic windows are not an option, scratches too easy. I would rather pay for broken glass than see scratches. Same for the front on the new Cat that's coming.

P.Services
09-14-2008, 05:14 PM
ok end the war or hes not gona share pics of the cat!!!

stuvecorp
09-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Why don't the mods do a mercy killing here...

bishoplandscape
09-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Actually i just bought a fully loaded series 3 case 440 and they have changed the windows they come out so easy for cleaning.

P.Services
09-14-2008, 06:33 PM
bishop, what kind of cat did mike buy?

bobcat_ron
09-14-2008, 07:01 PM
I've had a T300, an equivalent to a Case CT450 behind my truck on my old bumper pull trailer with no problems, even doing a tandem carry on my GN trailer feels alright to me, I guess I'm just used to heavy weights and driving.

Dirt Digger2
09-14-2008, 07:17 PM
CCSTREBE i don't mean to keep kicking a dead horse here...but in the event you do ever get pulled over...even if the trailer is empty did you atleast register your truck with the state to pull more then its GVCWR if you say it is a 7 ton trailer?

ccstrebe
09-14-2008, 08:48 PM
CCSTREBE i don't mean to keep kicking a dead horse here...but in the event you do ever get pulled over...even if the trailer is empty did you at least register your truck with the state to pull more then its GVCWR if you say it is a 7 ton trailer?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to plead to ignorance on that one...............you got me.

Dirt Digger2
09-14-2008, 11:00 PM
if you look on the door jam (or glove box...or somewhere...fords i think put them on the driver door jam) of your truck you will find a Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating...that is the maximum weight that your combined rig can weigh...truck and trailer...so say your F150 has a GVW of 8,000 and the trailer is 10,000...your GVCW would be 18,000...if you exceed that weight rating you need to register that with the state...if you are pulling a 14,000 trailer with a 150 i can guarantee you that you are because a 14,000 trailer would send a 250 over its GVCWR. Its not a big deal, and any local trailer dealer should have the form, i believe all it does is affect the registration amount that you already pay to the state because you theoretically are putting more weight on state roads which causes them to wear faster and hence costs money to repair....i dont know what the fine is if you get pulled over and don't have the proper registration, but its better to be safe then sorry i suppose

EDIT: it is also called the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating)

Dirt Digger2
09-14-2008, 11:09 PM
here is what the form looks like in PA..you will see the changing of the GVW/GCWR at the bottom...also notice how a mechanic must certify it

http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotforms/mv_forms/mv-41.pdf

also check with your state...in most states pulling a trailer with a GVW of 10,001 pounds or greater requires a CDL, regardless of whether you exceed 26,000lbs or not

ccstrebe
09-14-2008, 11:15 PM
All you have to think about is one thin 14 gauge wire(s) fail on connection from the truck to the trailer you have no brakes. If the electric brakes ever failed and your pulling a load with a undersized truck you have no hope in hell controlling it.

Now that is a very valid point and I am man enough to admit that I never considered that. There is no way my truck would stop that rig with out its trailer brakes. Let's hear it for Gravel Rat, I never would have thought I would be in agreement with anything Gravel Rat had to say. I shudder to think what could happen if those brakes were to go out.

I do know that there is some kind of small battery on board of the trailer that has something to do with the brakes but I don't know what or how it works. It might have something to do with the trailer if it was to detatch from the truck but that won't help if a wire failed.

I just might have to reconsider my position on this whole matter. Thanks Gravel Rat.

KSSS, I think my loose screw just got a little tighter.

Dirt Digger2
09-14-2008, 11:22 PM
that battery is for run away trailer brakes...your right, if the trailer detaches then there is a small cord that pulls and it activates the brakes...its always good habit to check to make sure the battery is charged by tugging on the cord until the brakes go on then plugging the little switch back in to turn the brakes off

we had our brake controller wire break this summer on a 350 dump, it is possible...ours was caused by corrosion at the plug because the truck uses a salter in the winter...as long as you check your wires on the back of the plug you can prevent one from breaking 90% of the time

ccstrebe
09-14-2008, 11:23 PM
also check with your state...in most states pulling a trailer with a GVW of 10,001 pounds or greater requires a CDL, regardless of whether you exceed 26,000lbs or not

I suspect that doesn't apply in Az. because I'm sure when I bought that trailer they would have told me if I needed a CDL, I would think they could be liable if they didn't, but I will look into it.

Now we are getting somewhere, instead of everyone telling me what an idiot I am, between Gravel Rat and you, I'm getting good reasons to see why I'm on the wrong path.

Sorry to hear about your ticket today.

YellowDogSVC
09-15-2008, 12:09 AM
always good habit to check to make sure the battery is charged by tugging on the cord until the brakes go on then plugging the little switch back in to turn the brakes off

just make sure the plug is disconnected so you don't send current back to your TBC or you could short it out.

minimax
09-15-2008, 01:16 AM
I was towing the Deere 35d home with my 1 ton dodge and my 14000 gvw gooseneck trailer down a 15% and I was going down the hill about half way down the 1 1/2 mile grade my trailer brakes let out and the brake controller say S.H. on the readout for short:dizzy:.It was all I could do to keep the truck under control,In 3/4 of a mile I went from 35mph to 60 mph and did that while being on the truck brakes.It ended up being the brake magnet's wore through into the windings causing a dead short.
Even in flat ground a deer could run out in front of you!

minimax

ccstrebe
09-15-2008, 03:52 AM
As much as you guys like to disect pictures, I'm suprised no noticed the little foot steps I welded onto the rear tiedown loops on the 450. I store the 450 and the laser grader in a 20ft cargo container, (you can see it in one of the pictures of the tracks website).

Well, it was a real pain in the you know what to climb over the back end of the tracks to get to the front of the machine when it was in the container. So I welded a 1ft piece of 4" angle to the tie down loop and painted it to match and it was at the perfect mid point height to step up onto the top of the track. Also comes in real handy when using the grease gun on some of those top, back grease zerks.

Junior M
09-15-2008, 03:01 PM
So where's the new cat at?

jmf
09-15-2008, 03:33 PM
All you have to think about is one thin 14 gauge wire(s) fail on connection from the truck to the trailer you have no brakes.

That's why large truck brakes are designed to lock up when the air pressure is lost.

jmf

ccstrebe
09-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Supposed to hit Phoenix today. They will PDI it up there and then bring it to the Yuma branch. I'm hoping for a Wed. delivery.

Gravel Rat
09-15-2008, 04:14 PM
jmf Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat
All you have to think about is one thin 14 gauge wire(s) fail on connection from the truck to the trailer you have no brakes.

That's why large truck brakes are designed to lock up when the air pressure is lost.

jmf

I know that I drive truck. And they don't lock up right away.

ccstrebe
09-15-2008, 05:01 PM

jmf

I have an F600 20Ft box truck that I use to haul our cabinets in. It has some kind of hydraulic assist brake system.

One day on an out of town job the belt to the hydro pump broke in the middle of main street and the wheels locked up and there she sat until we could get a new belt on the pump. There was no moving it out of the road way with the wheels locked up.

I'm glad I wasn't driving it, but I still felt bad for my guys.

Dirt Digger2
09-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Gravel Rat your right they dont lok up "right away"...you have a warning buzzer...but as soon as you get down to that magical pressure and those buttons pop out they sure as hell do lock up

Gravel Rat
09-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I have an F600 20Ft box truck that I use to haul our cabinets in. It has some kind of hydraulic assist brake system.

One day on an out of town job the belt to the hydro pump broke in the middle of main street and the wheels locked up and there she sat until we could get a new belt on the pump. There was no moving it out of the road way with the wheels locked up.

I'm glad I wasn't driving it, but I still felt bad for my guys.

You have a Ford with Lucas Girling brakes they use hydraulic pressure to disengage the emergency brake. It works a little like a wedge brake and yes once you loose hydraulic pressure from the PS pump you are not going anywhere soon. Lucas Girling brakes are a horrible horrible braking system.

With air brakes if you blow a service line to the trailer your screwed the tractor protection valve will stop the air loss on the truck but you don't have any control to the trailer brakes untill the air bleeds off.

The biggest problem with P/U trucks pulling trailers is they don't have enough braking power to even control the trailer if you loose your trailer brakes.

ccstrebe
09-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Is this an acceptable load to pull behind my 1/2 ton? Took the afternoon off yesterday to get some skiing in.

Junior M
09-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Thats a good looking boat. is that a 250 evinrude?

ccstrebe
09-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Thats a good looking boat. is that a 250 evinrude?

Yes, with the HO package.

Junior M
09-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Nice... How fast will she go?

dozerman21
09-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Is this an acceptable load to pull behind my 1/2 ton? Took the afternoon off yesterday to get some skiing in.

The problem with the truck is circled on the grill...:laugh:

Nice looking boat. Do you ever go to Havasu or Tahoe? I'd like to make it out there someday.

Junior M
09-18-2008, 08:49 PM
The problem with the truck is circled on the grill...:laugh:

Nice looking boat. Do you ever go to Havasu or Tahoe? I'd like to make it out there someday.
I agree with that!!

I would love to go to both of them.. I have seen pics of Havasu. It looks beautiful..

Nel-Martin
09-18-2008, 09:19 PM
where is your cat ? show some pic's too

here's my T190

Junior M
09-18-2008, 09:55 PM
where is your cat ? show some pic's too

here's my T190
How many skids do you have nel? Also is the t190 a gold package?

Nel-Martin
09-18-2008, 09:58 PM
just the 190 , no it doesn't have the gold package

ccstrebe
09-18-2008, 10:31 PM

No, just the closest boat launch about a half hour away. The problem with Havasu and those other places is that they are for partiers. Even the local scene has a sand bar called 'Silicon Beach' (I'll let you guys figure out why its called that) where hundreds of people hang out and get drunk.

Me, I'm into skiing and just relaxing. Once we hit the river we have to go up stream about 30 miles to get away from all that other stuff.