View Full Version : My site

PestPro
09-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Check it out and give me input:

www.pestproservices.net

lifetree
09-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Check it out and give me input ...

I don't think I'd say to call 24 hours ... !!

cbscreative
09-12-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm not saying this to be mean, but simply giving you my first impression as a potential customer. It immediately strikes me as "homemade" which would cause me to leave. Even though you are a pest control, having all the creepy crawlies and rodents is another reason to leave. Even if I stick around to read the text, it does nothing to stand out or persuade me.

OK, that's not a good reaction, but pehaps this will help. Instead of showing me the problem which I already know about if I were looking for you, I want to know the solution. Think about visual elements that reinforce the peace of mind knowing that all those pests are gone. If you find all your local competition all saying or doing about the same thing, then that is exactly what not to do. The purpose of a web site is to stand out, not blend in or mimic.

I think your Don't wait till you see pests... line has some good potential, but in keeping with the advice given above to 86 all the pest/rodent images, you could step that up several levels by going with something more creative. Since creative is what I do, here's one I came up with quickly, and could improve more with extra thought. Something like, "See any pests here? Good. Since you don't want to see them either...contact us."

When someone sees one of your service vans and checks your web address, you want the site to generate response. One problem with the DIY approach is that you are too close to create the site objectively. Hiring a good web designer who understands marketing will yield a far better success rate. I would emphasize that "understands marketing" part again because the vast majority of web designers sell on price and know very little about marketing. Their work may look nice, but there are tons of nice looking sites that make little or no money.

You said yourself in another thread that just putting up a web site does not create success. You were very correct on that. A good site involves planning, strategy, marketing, persuasive writing specifically tailored to the web, and a professional look. To accomplish all of these requires on of two options: either hire someone who already knows what they are doing, or be ready for a huge learning curve.

I know I pointed out some problem areas, but I hope my suggestions put you on the path to solving those problems.

WebMan
09-12-2008, 08:33 PM
You could use a professional copy writer; agreed. Looks home-made and is another 800x600...

Mainly in my browser the part under "Experienced since 1984" is like 2 lines of text on top of each other. I can't read it at all, just looks like a mess.
Didn't look past that, I would leave as soon as I hit that part...and being big & blue it kind-of jumps out.

JDUtah
09-28-2008, 02:20 AM
Change referrals to testimonials..

otherwise it seems like you are asking me to refer someone?

PestPro
09-28-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm not saying this to be mean, but simply giving you my first impression as a potential customer. It immediately strikes me as "homemade" which would cause me to leave. Even though you are a pest control, having all the creepy crawlies and rodents is another reason to leave. Even if I stick around to read the text, it does nothing to stand out or persuade me.

OK, that's not a good reaction, but pehaps this will help. Instead of showing me the problem which I already know about if I were looking for you, I want to know the solution. Think about visual elements that reinforce the peace of mind knowing that all those pests are gone. If you find all your local competition all saying or doing about the same thing, then that is exactly what not to do. The purpose of a web site is to stand out, not blend in or mimic.

I think your Don't wait till you see pests... line has some good potential, but in keeping with the advice given above to 86 all the pest/rodent images, you could step that up several levels by going with something more creative. Since creative is what I do, here's one I came up with quickly, and could improve more with extra thought. Something like, "See any pests here? Good. Since you don't want to see them either...contact us."

When someone sees one of your service vans and checks your web address, you want the site to generate response. One problem with the DIY approach is that you are too close to create the site objectively. Hiring a good web designer who understands marketing will yield a far better success rate. I would emphasize that "understands marketing" part again because the vast majority of web designers sell on price and know very little about marketing. Their work may look nice, but there are tons of nice looking sites that make little or no money.

You said yourself in another thread that just putting up a web site does not create success. You were very correct on that. A good site involves planning, strategy, marketing, persuasive writing specifically tailored to the web, and a professional look. To accomplish all of these requires on of two options: either hire someone who already knows what they are doing, or be ready for a huge learning curve.

I know I pointed out some problem areas, but I hope my suggestions put you on the path to solving those problems.
Steve...Thank you for your input, but if you look at the bottom of my pages, ATT Yellow pages actually made my site. I am getting lots of hits on it, but no calls...I wish there was some way I could get out of my contract it sucks

PestPro
09-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Just to let you all know. I appreciate your input........good or bad...but if you look at the bottom of all the pages, the site was designed by ATT.yellowpages.com, and I cant say I like it to much either, but I am kind of stuck with it for a year. I wish I could get out of the stupid contact with them. DO NOT HIRE ATT!!!!!...I am getting lots of click but NO calls.

Turboguy
09-29-2008, 07:07 AM
Well, I see some good and some bad. I may bookmark that and check it right before each meal. Some of those photos would make me lose my appetite which could be a good thing.

It does make you seem like you know the problem. The proof reading was rather poor like when it says. "Monthly Pest Control, Semi-Annual and Quarterly" Saying "Monthly, Quarterly and Semi-Annaul Pest control" would have been much better. I am sure you put your thoughts down on paper and we write what comes into our mind. It was their job to fix that.

I like it in some ways but it could be a lot better. Give them a teaser to encourage them to call and to let you know they were driven to you by the site. For example instead of September special $ 30.00 off, make it, Print this coupon for a $ 30 discount or print this coupon for a free estimate.

cbscreative
09-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Just to let you all know. I appreciate your input........good or bad...but if you look at the bottom of all the pages, the site was designed by ATT.yellowpages.com, and I cant say I like it to much either, but I am kind of stuck with it for a year. I wish I could get out of the stupid contact with them. DO NOT HIRE ATT!!!!!...I am getting lots of click but NO calls.
Yikes! You hired it done, yet it struck me as a "Look ma, I did it myself" site. I'd be demanding a refund, or at least be able to get out of the contract. I hope you at least own the domain name (these deals often hold that hostage too). If your name is not on the domain name as the "registrant" I would be looking at your legal options since you are either stuck with this deal for life, or forced to walk away before investing any more energy into something you have no control over. This is the kind of stuff you see on www.rip-offreport.com (which maybe they are, I didn't check).

fool32696
10-01-2008, 08:39 PM
How much are you paying? I see they've gotten the site a page rank of 3, that's got to be good for SEO right? I talked to Yellowpages.com today on the phone and they wanted over $80 a month for a preferred listing.

PestPro
10-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Yikes! You hired it done, yet it struck me as a "Look ma, I did it myself" site. I'd be demanding a refund, or at least be able to get out of the contract. I hope you at least own the domain name (these deals often hold that hostage too). If your name is not on the domain name as the "registrant" I would be looking at your legal options since you are either stuck with this deal for life, or forced to walk away before investing any more energy into something you have no control over. This is the kind of stuff you see on www.rip-offreport.com (which maybe they are, I didn't check).

Yes...I stil own the domain name, but they have a contract for one year..I am trying as we speak trying to get out of it

PestPro
10-01-2008, 09:15 PM
How much are you paying? I see they've gotten the site a page rank of 3, that's got to be good for SEO right? I talked to Yellowpages.com today on the phone and they wanted over $80 a month for a preferred listing.

Yes...my placement on the net is not bad, but I agree the web page they built for me sucks, I kill bugs for a living and not much of marketing, so I was hoping ATT could help me out with that, I have received over 500 clicks in 45 days, BUT NO CALLS..which is not good I am going to try and make some changes to the web site myself

I would NOT NEVER NO tell you to advertise with anything with ATT in the name. I wish I was only paying 80.00 a month.

PestPro
10-01-2008, 09:50 PM

I just filed a report on the above link about ATT

fool32696
10-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm getting far much more response from my site with probably 1/5 of that many clicks. I think that paying $80 a month to possibly get near 500 clicks may be worth it? The fact that you haven't gotten one call should be a big indicator that your site needs an overhaul. If you have any spare time maybe you could do the work yourself.

Team-Green L&L
10-02-2008, 09:04 AM
I wish I could help you, but the site just needs to be dumped and redone. There's nothing that can be done to revamp this site. It looks like a Bingo Hall at a run-down strip mall.

PestPro
10-10-2008, 07:32 PM
I wish I could help you, but the site just needs to be dumped and redone. There's nothing that can be done to revamp this site. It looks like a Bingo Hall at a run-down strip mall.

That you for your input but rather than just say how bad it is, could you offer some ideas of your own, on what I could do myself to improve it. I think I have gotton ATT to cancel my contract after just one month. Took a lot of talkin.

Bill S
10-10-2008, 08:32 PM
If you want to do your own site use Yahoo site builder, easy easy easy.

If not, find a web designer, one that you like their tastes and that will work with you to get the aesthetic look you seek. Then get your seo taken care of...

WebMan
10-10-2008, 11:26 PM
What are these "clicks". Do you actually have a statistics program (will show you who came, where they came from, which pages they viewed for how long, even what type browser they had and what search term they used to find you)
If you just have "hit counter"...that's a sham. It's useless, :dizzy: you may have only had 3 real people visit your site. I'd be interested to know.

I mean I also wonder since yellow pages (the printed ones) are a total rip-off (proved by their own statistics if you interpret them yourself instead of the way they do) why would you let them touch a web site :confused:...what hit you on the head and made you think the phone company knew anything about web sites?
Just joking but really...BAD move. They have to have a "buy out" clause if you really want to keep the name that bad. Or find another cool name, quit paying them and start over (unless you get your phone from them, then you will have to pay or they turn your phone off).

I want to know how detailed your info is about those "clicks" (I host a site that has almost 7 MILLION "clicks" this year on ~100,000 actual visits...in a real statistics program)

PestPro
10-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Yes...my placement on the net is not bad, but I agree the web page they built for me sucks, I kill bugs for a living and not much of marketing, so I was hoping ATT could help me out with that, I have received over 500 clicks in 45 days, BUT NO CALLS..which is not good I am going to try and make some changes to the web site myself

I would NOT NEVER NO tell you to advertise with anything with ATT in the name. I wish I was only paying 80.00 a month.

I have gotton out of the contract with ATT, and I dont know what I was thinking, I guess they are so big that I thought they would give me the best coverage area and customers WRONG.

I dont have a STATISTICS program yet, do you suggest a good one? As far as my name goes, the domian belongs to me not ATT.

cbscreative
10-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Most hosting companies have stats available, but you may need to activate them through your Control Panel. If you're still looking for a new hosting company, www.bluehost.com gets good reviews from everything I've seen on them, and I recommend them to my clients. I've never had anything go wrong there either, and I can't say that about all hosting companies.

PestPro
10-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Most hosting companies have stats available, but you may need to activate them through your Control Panel. If you're still looking for a new hosting company, www.bluehost.com gets good reviews from everything I've seen on them, and I recommend them to my clients. I've never had anything go wrong there either, and I can't say that about all hosting companies.

I have been using GO DADDY which I am happy with, I dont know if they have a cpanel, like what you are talking about. Do you know? I will check out bluehost, but I have already paid a year for godaddy

Turboguy
10-12-2008, 08:13 AM
I have two sites hosted on GoDaddy and have been very unhappy. I am paid for a year ahead and still plan to switch when I get the time. I love GoDaddy for domain registrations but don't like them at all for a hosting company. You have it paid for and are not having problems so there is no reason not to hang in there but when your time is up I think you could do better and probably for less money.

Right now I use GoDaddy, Reliant, PowWeb, Spunky world, MonteCarlo and ValueWeb. MonteCarlo and PowWeb are my favorites

cbscreative
10-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't have any GoDaddy hosting to check for cpanel, but if they have it, you should be able to see it when you are logged in. Even if they have something else, you might still be able to find stats somewhere. I do know they are tracking it, it's just a matter of gaining access yourself.

Bill S
10-12-2008, 04:36 PM
google analytics offers a wide variety of tracking information.

Doesn't matter who is hosting your site, just put the tracking code in and you are all set.

Turboguy
10-13-2008, 07:11 AM
GoDaddy does have a control panel.