PDA

View Full Version : Spare tire carrier

DJ Contracting
09-11-2008, 11:19 PM
I posted this on plowsite as well

So i had to cut my spare tire carrier off and now i'm looking to install something that will work a year from now not the junk that Chevy makes and i don't want my tire in the back of my truck. Does anybody have or has anybody made up a new way to hang their spare tire under their trucks?

seabee1
09-12-2008, 12:25 AM
man every body wants to get them out from underneath ! if you dont like the cable make a retro 60's tire bracket that hinges down . or mount one out front of the bumper !:confused:

DJ Contracting
09-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Well if i put it on the front bumper where will i put my snow plow thanks anyway

seabee1
09-12-2008, 12:41 AM
now your making it tough ! the old truck's had a lever bracket that hinged down but they were a pain also ! do you have a ladder rack on it also that you can mount it on the side ?

DJ Contracting
09-12-2008, 08:08 AM
now your making it tough ! the old truck's had a lever bracket that hinged down but they were a pain also ! do you have a ladder rack on it also that you can mount it on the side ?

No i don't have a ladder rack and i would like to keep it under and out of the way thanks Joe

topsites
09-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Mount it on top of the cab.

Seriously?
How about off the tailgate, Jeep style.

Swampy
09-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Mount it on top of the cab.

or to the top the hood, but you got to start speaking Australian like Crocodile Dunn Dee "Geday mate" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

My buddy from back in high school broke his off his 85 F1fixme and just welded a bracket on the bulkhead of the box.

Or my Idea is run a piece of C channel between the frame rails with a couple of studs through the center of it. Use actual lug nuts and studs for the truck that your putting it on to have a couple of quick replacements and you also won't round out your spare rim.

GravelyNut
09-12-2008, 11:48 PM
What's been the trouble with the underframe carrier?

DJ Contracting
09-13-2008, 12:53 PM
What's been the trouble with the underframe carrier?

It's a cable opperated system and of coarse it is only used when you need your spare tire and by that time after years of not being used the cable unit rust and you can't lower the spare which sucks anyway ford used to have a system that had a hook and latch that seemed to work ok.

Riley Lawn Service
09-15-2008, 04:57 PM
just make a bracket in your bad that would hold it up against the back of your bed and you would still have plenty of room.