PDA

View Full Version : How to test trailer brakes

JimMac
09-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Anyone know of a link to properly test trailer brakes? My trailer is 7000LB dual axle with electric brakes. Thanks for any info.

ALC-GregH
09-12-2008, 09:26 AM
The best way I've found is to use a 12v battery. Run a jumper wire for the ground from the battery to the trailer anywhere on the frame, I use vise grips. Next, use a jumper wire from the trailer plug and jump 12v to the brake wire in the trailer plug. With the trailer wheels off the ground, spin one of the wheels that has brakes on it and touch the 12v wire in the plug for the brakes, it should lock up the wheel. If it doesn't, you have a bad ground, a broken hot wire or a bad magnet on the hub.

tilawn
09-12-2008, 11:30 PM
just go slow through a parking lot or driveway and hold on your energize button from the brake box and the brakes should lock up as your hoding it

MileHigh
09-12-2008, 11:57 PM
drive 25mph, and press the button on your brake controller.

Luvs2Play
09-13-2008, 12:11 AM
What type of test? Are you just wanting to see if they work? Testing the breakaway? just get moving, even slow and move the button on your brake controller. To test the breakaway, pull the pin out of the switch and see if you can pull the trailer.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Yep, thats what I was going to say, just go slow and slide the energize button. Make sure no one is behind you though, lol

Kennedy Landscaping
09-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Yep, thats what I was going to say, just go slow and slide the energize button. Make sure no one is behind you though, lol

02DURAMAX
09-13-2008, 12:34 AM

Thats what I do..But when I go for my safety sticker they pull teh emergency rope to test it..also works.