PDA

View Full Version : How To Price Leaves

Duke9590
09-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Im still alittle new to the business, and im wondering the best way to price leave removal.

Frue
09-12-2008, 10:43 AM
hourly do not bid work. tell them a minium only.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
09-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Bid em high,or you will go broke......

ScoWa71
09-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I just bid on some leaf removal last week, the couple that called me wanted me to come out multiple times. So I bid the job out over a month of service at 130 buck, my first visit will be the higher priced visit then decrease as I go. After the fourth visit I just stated to them a per visit price. They seemed very happy with the bid.

CLARK LAWN
09-12-2008, 04:43 PM
I just bid on some leaf removal last week, the couple that called me wanted me to come out multiple times. So I bid the job out over a month of service at 130 buck, my first visit will be the higher priced visit then decrease as I go. After the fourth visit I just stated to them a per visit price. They seemed very happy with the bid.

what??? you have me totaly lost. I do them just like frue says hourly with a minimium, way to many variables in leaves to give a set price.

hackitdown
09-12-2008, 05:01 PM
I say this:

"$250 minimum, yours will cost between $300 and $400 (or whatever is realistic)."

Most people are good with that. For customers who got a cleanup last year, I charge the same, or maybe $25 more.

Duke9590
09-12-2008, 05:49 PM
So if its a one time job then i should just bid high, and if its over a period of time then everytime i do the job i should lower the price.

shovelracer
09-12-2008, 07:10 PM
No you should bid high because you will look at 2 oak trees and a small yard and think sure $130 will be fine even if it takes a little longer. Ill just bring my friend for $8/HR and Ill make even more cause we can do 2 today.

Well after hour 6 and a pile still 5 feet tall you will have wished you bid hourly. There are always far more leaves than you think. The otherside of the story is when the wind blows all the neighbors leaves into the yard you are doing.

Hourly is the way to go, and if they mention that they can get a fixed price walk away. There is a guy around here with an ad for $95 cleanup any size. I was thinking of subbing him out and taking the first 2 weeks off. By week 3 he'll be out of business and Ill finish the rest. Seriously I have 2 acre lots that pull 5 yards tops and take 2 hours, and I have 1/4 acre lots that pull 50 yards and take 20+ hours. Thing is that every year is different. Last years price means very little. Now if you have several years records you could get a better idea. Its a lot like snow removal.

agm
09-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Your hourly rate x how ever long it takes you plus disposal fees! If they ask for a round about figure then give them one, but let them know that the price may go up if it takes longer. Let them know it's an ESTIMATE!!!!!!!!! Not the set price!

LBLC_LCO
09-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Do you tell the customer the actual hourly price?

Or, do you keep that to yourself and figure how many hours to charge?

What do ya'll like to get per hour for this work? I know it will vary depending on equip used.

agm
09-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Before I even go over there, on the phone, I tell them how much I charge per hour with my minimum. If they still say ok, then I go. Better than wasting my time and fuel to go there just for them to say it's to expensive or something. I would rather them say it over the phone and tell them, thanks for the call and have a good day!

topsites
09-12-2008, 10:43 PM
So if its a one time job then i should just bid high, and if its over a period of time then everytime i do the job i should lower the price.

omg, no...

Look, if you're this lost on how to price leaves my advice is to start out with small to midsize or some of
the easier jobs and stay away from the big bad monster cleanups until you feel more comfortable.

You might also stick to your regular customers, that is,
you can take on other jobs but make sure you take care of
your regular customers and always do theirs first and make sure
they are done and here's why:
1. You want to keep them.
2. If you do get skru'd it doesn't suck as bad.

It would likely also help in the price department if we knew what kind of equipment you have.

STIHL GUY
09-13-2008, 12:17 AM
by the hour for leaves

hackitdown
09-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Do you tell the customer the actual hourly price?

Or, do you keep that to yourself and figure how many hours to charge?

What do ya'll like to get per hour for this work? I know it will vary depending on equip used.

I never tell the customer an hourly rate, unless it is a customer that I know and trust. Customers that have raked there yards think it will take 15 hours of work, so they do the math and call someone else.

So I give a range, based on my best guess, and experience. I give them a price that I will not exceed, which makes them feel more confident. It is a small risk for me, but I rarely get burned.

I get $100/hr with a helper. We use 2 BP blowers, a WB blower, and a ZTR w/collection vac system. Tarps/rakes.

Frue
09-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Tell them what your minium is. Then let them know how much equipment you have on the property this gives them a idea how efficient you are. Never tell hourly rate NEVER NEVER NEVER. They will choke out bad.

Lawn Pawn
09-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Can tell you NOT to do what I did.

Gave a flat price for Fall yard clean-up.... they called back a week or so later and told me OK. Double the leaves in yard now! I stuck to my price and learned a good lesson!!! Several lessons actually.

OKSooner
09-14-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm just starting in leaf removal this year also. I have a Little Wonder loader mounted on a trailer, blowing into a bin built onto the bed of my F250. Couplea backpack blowers, (an old one and a new one), and rakes and tarps.

I'm by myself right now. How much difference does it make to have a helper with you?

Duke9590
09-14-2008, 11:23 PM
I have an echo Backpack blower, a ryobi hand held blower/vac, rakes, tarps, and a cub cadet push mower that sucks by the way, and a crapsman push mower. Thats what i planned to use.