PDA

View Full Version : Is this illegal?

Lamonicaslawnservice
09-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Next spring I was thinking about getting alot of flyers and door hangers and magnets made up and handing them out. My sister is a girl scout troop leader because my neice is in it. If I gave them a few hundred to hand them out is that illegal? Their always looking for donations and that will be more then they ever got. What with being 8 years old im not sure if thats ok. I guess if the parents are with them and go along with it then I guess it is. any input would be great:) what about sticking magnets to the outside of metal mailboxes?

LushGreenLawn
09-12-2008, 12:05 PM
The magnets on the mailboxes would be illegal, however, I get flyers on my mailbox all the time, in some markets the mailman does not care. If you get one that does, and notifies his boss, you could be in some real trouble.

As far as giving fliers to the girl scout troop to hand out, I have to admit, my first thought was no way, way to tacky. The more I think about it, however, it may work out. When I was in High School I was involved in the FFA. Company's would donate money all the time for us to go out and work. We would work the consession stands at Dover Downs, and hand out Goody's headache powder. Now the High School Cheerleaders do the same thing.

The only difference I see was that we were of working age in high school, I'm not sure how the labor laws work woth the kids, but I think with donating to a club like that its different. They are allowed to sell those cookies, and the cookie company is making money, just giving them a commission.

bobs72nova
09-12-2008, 12:07 PM
I dont know about using the girlscouts for your workforce, (maybe not in uniform) but I used to hand out flyers for a company door to door about 30yrs ago and we were told it was illegal to attach anything to a mailbox. Federal offense if I remember right.
Good luck,
Bob

Lamonicaslawnservice
09-12-2008, 12:13 PM
so door hangers on the door isnt illegal? so I can do that? is there any companys that will hand them out for me?

bobs72nova
09-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Back in my middle school days i worked for a company that all we did was hand out flyers, i dont know where you would find one though, maybe your local printer would know.

rkab
09-12-2008, 01:00 PM
The mailboxes are illegal, and not worth trying either, the federal protection is a little over the top. Or not, depending on your viewpoint. The girl scouts seem like a real clever, personal, way of delivering your message...I would really, really, want ALL kids and parents involved in it though...

As for finding someone to hand out for you, there are business strictly for that, also teenagers, high school students, even college students, and retirees would probably love the extra coin doing neighborhood strolling...

Good Luck!

Baseballman387
09-12-2008, 02:36 PM
I believe some States are legal and other states are not to attach some flyers in the mailboxes. I have had some of those attached in my mailbox.

Giving your flyers to a girl scout? I wouldn't do that.

LushGreenLawn
09-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Laws pertaining to the mailboxes are Federal, the same in sll states. I have put flyers on the mailbox flag, which is, illegal. The mailpeople (notice the political correctness) wave at me while I'm doing it, its not enforced in my area at all, but its still illegal. I would never put a flier "in" the mailbox, I am sure that I would be called out on it in a minute, and rightfully so.

That being said, all area are different. I started soing it after talking to people in my area that have been doing it for years, but in other areas, I have heard of guys getting angry calls with threats of big fines from the popstmaster their first time out.

Lamonicaslawnservice
09-12-2008, 06:01 PM
I want to advertise good next year but I know im not going to go around handing all of those door hangers out so im just trying to think of ways i can adverise in this sense but not have to do it. haha

ed2hess
09-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Most of the new HOA don't allow any door hangers any longer and they tend to blacklist those who put them out by naming them in the monthly new letters. Now the new thing is like scotts ....constant mailings for target area.

tedfrk
09-12-2008, 08:21 PM
alot of the communities in my area dont allow solicitation,there are signs before you get in the communities.

Lamonicaslawnservice
09-12-2008, 09:41 PM
same here. Its out of control how people are getting. I can see knocking on doors but a door hanger isnt bothering anyone. I guess the local yellow pages might work since there's no other way to get your business name out there. Is everyone pretty much doing direct mail next season?

Yard.Barber
10-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Just a tad off topic.

When I was living up north in Pa. and working for a deck building company in the early 90's we would go around putting flyers inside the newspaper boxes, which is not illegal but the owner of the company got a nice visit from the mail carrier in the area and giving him a warning about it.

Turned out another deck building company was going around handing them out also and took ours and put them inside the mailbox, the ultiimate form of being low down and dirty.

Just wondering if anybody has run into this problem?

topsites
10-27-2008, 09:48 AM
This might be like, can I just pay the scouts a few hundred to do my leaves? :p

Kennedy Landscaping
10-27-2008, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't think having them hand out those items would be illegal, I don't think it would be any different than in school when we used to go door to door and sell fundraisers. Just don't put anything and or on the mailbox. Screen doors work good if they have them.