PDA

View Full Version : Ferris Owners....tell me about the 1500 IS...

From Dust 'til Lawn
09-12-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm looking at one and it's a great price....likes and dislikes????? True Commercial grade????????? Thanks!!!! oh.....it's a 48in deck....

J.A.G LAWNCARE
09-12-2008, 07:02 PM
is it new? what size engine?

fishmagnet
09-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Do a 'SEARCH' on Ferris 1500, should get you lots of info/opinions.

We have the 1500 with 48" 21 Kaw, and yes it is commercial grade!:weightlifter:

From Dust 'til Lawn
09-12-2008, 09:49 PM
this to is the 48 with the 21 Kawi motor...

Liquidfast
09-12-2008, 10:32 PM
I had 8 hrs on one and I can say this....

Aside from the Ferris IS500, it's an entry level commercial machine. With the mowing I do, I personally wouldn't want one for daily use. Again, in my opinion, I would opt for the IS 2000. Much better quality (sort of) but much better in the suspension dept.

I found it to be a little "rinky dink" and the engine bogged down heavily when mowing the hills that I do but then again, I was an idiot for buying the Hustler Super Z with the 25kawi cuz the damn thing bogs down too on the hills that I mow.

My dealer, who I give $$$ to each year offered to bring the Hustler to the site with the hills and allow me to demo it.....................a no brainer right? NO. Cuz the 1500 bogged, I figured there was NO WAY the Hustler would so YMMV.

TomberLawn
09-12-2008, 10:52 PM
I really like my 1500, 48". I've got close to 150 hours on it. The ride is good, probably not quite as good as the larger models, but good. The power is excellent. Only a couple of times have I wanted a little more power, but it was in extreme conditions. The cut quality is pretty good. I have noticed lately that the grass looks really good after double cutting, but it will give an acceptable cut the first time.

As far as being commercial, I would say that it is tough enough for daily use. I cut 1-2 days a week, so it has done fine for me. For full time use, I would suggest looking to the larger 2000 or 3100 if your budget allows and if the yards you are cutting can handle a mower that big. For smaller yards, sure, the 1500 with a 48" deck is a great fit.

Liquidfast
09-12-2008, 11:25 PM
I really like my 1500, 48". I've got close to 150 hours on it. The ride is good, probably not quite as good as the larger models, but good. The power is excellent. Only a couple of times have I wanted a little more power, but it was in extreme conditions. The cut quality is pretty good. I have noticed lately that the grass looks really good after double cutting, but it will give an acceptable cut the first time.

As far as being commercial, I would say that it is tough enough for daily use. I cut 1-2 days a week, so it has done fine for me. For full time use, I would suggest looking to the larger 2000 or 3100 if your budget allows and if the yards you are cutting can handle a mower that big. For smaller yards, sure, the 1500 with a 48" deck is a great fit.

With my full season long 8 hours I would have to agree with ^

beano
09-13-2008, 12:07 AM
I have mine with about 525 hrs. on it now and overall ive been pretty happy with it. You have to keep sharp blades for the cut to be great and it stripes well without a kit. Ive had little problems with, mostly stupid electrical safety switches and a wheel motor but that was covered under warrenty. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. For the money its great. I cut a couple days a week, probably about 30 acres weekly. I think i paid 5800 out the door for mine brand new 3 years ago.

From Dust 'til Lawn
09-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks everyone...I would be cutting only a few days a week with it...part time...any one use the collection systems for them?

Frue
09-13-2008, 01:11 PM
I would go with the bigger units the 1500 is not full suspention.

beano
09-14-2008, 05:38 PM
no collection system but just bought a jumbo grass gobbler for it, havent installed it yet so we'll see how it works. Frue, what do you mean it dosent have full suspension, they have it on all 4 wheels, whats the difference between that and the larger units? Im not too familiar with the 2000 and 3000 series.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-14-2008, 06:42 PM
I would go with the bigger units the 1500 is not full suspention.

keep in mind, if your looking for a 48" deck, the 1500 is the only model you can get. a is2000 is only a 52/61" deal.

I like my 1500, yeah it "feels" rinky dink but thats just because its very weight bias towards the back, more than even my other ferris machines, i like that though.

Its perfect for all the smaller yards, i get through gates with it and so forth. We use this mower mainly in any of the smaller areas, otherwise the 72" and 61" are out and about.

How MUCH property are you talking about cutting with a 48" anyway? I could see if your comparing 6 different 72" models, but a 48", are you really going to beat the crap out of that wide open out mowing 10 acres a pop?

From Dust 'til Lawn
09-14-2008, 07:11 PM
my biggest account is 4 mowable acres......i average about 3 acres an account.....I'm thinking 48 because i can get through alot of obstacles with it....around a few rows of pine trees....I do it now with a 52 scag WB.....i would like to sit down sometimes....lol....

landmk
09-14-2008, 08:18 PM
O.k. so where do I begin??? bought a new Ferris 1500 3 years ago 21 H.P. did not use it much the first year only about a 125 hours the second year is when all the fun started!!! first the fast vac collars came loose and the blower fan hit the housing (bent fan $200.00) then the right side wheel motor blew hydro oil all over the customers lawn $900.00, Then three months after that was fixed left side wheel motor blew this time hydro oil all over the trailer floor $900.00. So this year driving along and the deck idler pulley loses all the bearings fries the belt and the pulley $40.00 for the pulley $92.00 for the belt!!! So at this point the machine has 447hrs. on it. So I call Ferris and say spend $7500 for a piece of SH*t WTF. The guy in customer service said he would review the records and give me a call back that was five weeks ago!!! so much for Ferris customer service!!! And by the way he also said that wasn't't that bad... So with that response I have sold that mower took a large loss and have now moved on, By the way this unit was never abused or beet on I was the sole operator, not to mention its a S.O.B. to work on believe me I know!!! So take this for what it's worth stay away from Ferris!!!! But if you buy it I hope you have better luck than I did especially with Ferris customer service.:cry:

Liquidfast
09-16-2008, 09:00 AM
my biggest account is 4 mowable acres......i average about 3 acres an account.....I'm thinking 48 because i can get through alot of obstacles with it....around a few rows of pine trees....I do it now with a 52 scag WB.....i would like to sit down sometimes....lol....

3 acres per account with a 52 WB??????

Please, send me your addy so I can send you some food. You must be as skinny as a light pole. I envy you.

Do you run marathons in your spare time?

From Dust 'til Lawn
09-16-2008, 10:18 AM
haha....yeah....but i have a sulky...it isn't that bad...I'm trying to get through this season and then buy a Z...hence the question about this ferris....Thanks....and I wish I was skinnier!!!!