PDA

View Full Version : Any body have any luck 830 john deere

JOSLAWN
09-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Looking at buying one 8600.00 suspension seat 250.00 deferred pymts until march and only pay for nine months out of year until its payed off.Great pymt option speacilly in winter.They said it will have all the up dates my quetion is has any one had good luck out of the machine.Been running scag forever my 2004 31hp vanguard added rops velocity deck flat free fronts is 1900 hrs and all jokes aside ive just relaced 2 belts serviced every 40 hrs greesed every 10 hydros every 400hrs .Next year that mower with 35 vanguard air cooled will be around 12000.00 thats crazy.I dont know how they will compete well any ways any feed back appreciated.

Ford850
09-12-2008, 06:01 PM
You need to read the following thread before buying one:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=227501
If you buy one after reading that, you must be crazy.

lawns Etc
09-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Stay away for now, if you can find a 737 or 757 Deere jump on that if it must be a deere they are proven

DLCS
09-12-2008, 08:14 PM
DO NOT BUY A 800 series. JD is coming out with a new series for next year because they can't fix the 800s.. Their band aide box of fixes is not working and I heard a rumor that they may scrap them out. My dealer said Deere sent him a memo to not install the upgrades and to just pout them on a shelf for now. He will not sell anymore 800 series ztrs.

POPO4995
09-13-2008, 07:42 PM
My dealer wont sell anymore 800 series mowers. They are scraping the series and releasing a new one next year. I would not recommend buying an 830. I had one, and I returned it. Not John Deere quality at all and I love John Deere and really dont wanna buy anything else so i'll wait.:usflag:

rreyn1812
09-25-2008, 08:48 PM
I just traded in a dead 2005 737 for a new 830a with 54" deck. I've got 3 yards (about 7 acres total) that are very hilly (north central Arkansas) and one with deep and wide ditches that in one case would start to tip the 737 backward it is so steep. I've mowed 2 of them in the last 2 days and the other comes tomorrow, but I read the thread and checked with my dealer (AG-PRO) and they didn't believe there is a problem with the mowers now. One note is that my mower manual has a note that a different deck (54") replaced the 60" original deck. Anyway, it seems very much like a tough mountain goat to me. It has gone anywhere I asked without a whimper. Only 4 hrs on the clock, but it goes and mows better than my old 737 so far. It allows me to go faster over some pretty rough terrain.

Rick

Albemarle Lawn
09-25-2008, 10:36 PM
You're out of control going downhill. Try to get that thing to turn going downhill. That machine has too much weight on the front casters and not enough on the drive wheels. At least that was my experience with a 60" deck. Maybe not so badly out of balance with a lighter 54" deck.

But its still a lemon. You will wish you had fixed the 737.

lmay
09-25-2008, 10:56 PM
I had the same experience as Albemarle. I could never turn right. That wheel would just spin on all types of turf, wet, dry, green and brown dirt. See my current post on John deere runs sluggish. Good luck!

Cooter
09-26-2008, 04:36 AM
Any word on Deere having these new machines at Expo?

RC Randy
09-26-2008, 07:19 AM
You're out of control going downhill. Try to get that thing to turn going downhill. That machine has too much weight on the front casters and not enough on the drive wheels. At least that was my experience with a 60" deck. Maybe not so badly out of balance with a lighter 54" deck.

That is my only real complaint with my 830. Mine has the 54" mulching deck, and will tear up grass with the front casters when they swivel around sometimes. Very heavy machine.

mattfromNY
09-26-2008, 07:31 AM

I demoed a 830, and my brother in law at the controls went sliding down a hill and slammed into my wifes' truck. Thankfully he hit the tire and didnt do any damage to the truck. I run Ferris, so I just figured it was b/c it was a new machine he hadn't run before.
After my wife moved her truck, I tried to recreate where he had gone, if I could have made the hill. No way, as soon as the front wheels faced downhill, game over, no control whatsoever.
I really liked the machine overall, it goes plenty fast, leaves a really nice cut, seemed really comfortable (and I'm used to the suspension on my Ferris) and LOVE the mulch on demand deck.
The things I didn't like: Hydros were really jumpy, it sits higher than my Ferris, will not hug a wall or flower box when mowing around it like my Ferris (leaves about 6-8 inch strip of grass to trim), and the front mower guage wheels are too far out on the corners and tear too much turf when turning on uneven ground, and no front suspension.

NINER
09-26-2008, 07:52 AM
You might be in luck with 54" deck. We have 8 with the 60" deck the drive pumps rob all the power so there isnt much left for blade tip speed they lose a little tip speed going uphill. I have noticed also even on flat ground it leaves stragglers uncut even when mowed twice in some cases.with a 54" deck you might not notice this much but if you have some hills and look to the top of the crest you might see the stragglers. All the up grades we have had done are working great no isssues with them on that part. We have been breaking idler pully springs on the drive belt and a couple of control arms have broken at the pivot point just right out of the blue no warning no signs of stress cracks just all of a sudden it breaks. Other than those issues its a fairly good machine.

Albemarle Lawn
09-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Wow!

Not to flame but how often are all 8 not broken?