PDA

View Full Version : Anyone coloring mulch beds?

Digdug
09-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Is anyone coloring mulch beds? I have some large commercial accounts that dont need new mulch every year and dont have to look like Bush Gardens. I thought we could rake and turn it over some then spray the brown coloring on the beds that the mulch manufacturers are using. Any thoughts good or bad?? thanks , doug

bam
09-12-2008, 08:12 PM
i have several accounts that have two mulchings per year. even though the second round is a light mulch, it is better to fluff the mulch and apply a dye, and let the mulch to continue to degrade.

although our mulch vendor is alittle upset since he loses 300 yards.

the other factor is that labor wise, there is no savings, just the mulch materials savings. the fluffing and especially dying is extremely slow going. since the dye is actually a carbon based pigment it dyes everything - concrete, brick, plants...

Digdug
09-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Glad to hear someone does this. Everyone I mention it to says they've never heard of it. I am looking to reduce the manpower during the night hours that we install the mulch. Also want to darken the beds up once a summer. I thought the dye would be a good idea. thanks

capetan
09-12-2008, 08:58 PM
with a good spraying system and if you have a Large area to cover with NO obstacles i would say maybe, but if you going around walkways, flowers, shrubs whatever i would say no , i thought of using that stuff to ......

jaybird24
09-12-2008, 10:53 PM
I have found the coloring is almost too stark and uniform for residential, commercial areas it works fine. Plus around obstacles and plantings it is a real pain- easier to add more mulch. When we do use it we have found using a poly shield for spraying drywall texture works real good to prevent overspray. Overall I'd rather re-mulch. Usually you need a second app to even out the color.

mr mow
09-14-2008, 06:48 PM
wow! guess someone has already thought of it! Thought i came up with a brilliant idea the other day....and that was to redye the existing mulch. guess its already been done.

P.Services
09-14-2008, 06:51 PM
am Lennard sells the dye

Digdug
09-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Couldnt find Am Lennard on the net. Do you know where there located? thanks, doug

P.Services
09-15-2008, 08:27 PM
http://amleo.com/

ponyboy
09-15-2008, 09:39 PM
they are all correct it is very labor intensive and usually you will have to respray certain areas to make it look even. we did it about seven years ago and never again

David Gretzmier
09-15-2008, 11:52 PM
I was doing this 10-12 years ago when mulch magic first came out. If you mix the red and brown stain together you will get a nice color that resembles the alabama auburn mulch color. I have also done this without fluffing, and some customers like it better, some do not. I also believe that the mulch seems to last longer when regularly sprayed. I have included roundup in the mix and killed weeds at the same time I colored the mulch. It sure helps you keep on your toes about getting it on plants. I would only reccomend roundup if YOU do it rather than an employee. on monthly accounts that have set rates and the charges include mulch services, it can save you money and time, coloring once per year and muclhing once per year.