PDA

View Full Version : Cheap isn't always better

Icepuck72
09-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Did an estimate for an aeration job last Sunday. Quoted her $100, she gave me a look, and said the last guy did it for $75. I told her if she can get it cheaper and the guy is reputable, by all means go for it. We agreed when I left that I would be out Wednesday AM. She was kind of snooty about it all.

Got an email Monday AM she said she was going with another guy. I emailed her good luck and if there was anything that I could do in the future please call or contact me.

Out working today and get a voicemail asking me, or pleading me to see if I could get out there this weekend. Apparently her "cheaper" guy didn't show up as promised. :cry: Too bad, so sad, bye-bye. I can't get out there because I'm working Saturday (fire job) and I don't do lawn care on Sundays. The rest of next week I'm slammed booked with other guaranteed jobs.

mississippiturf
09-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Good for you!! A professional LCO has the feedom to tailor his/her business plan and type of customers he/she services. Personally, I've done just what you did twice this year.

lawns Etc
09-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Thats her loss I love the lowballers that realize its too low and never come back or call.

topsites
09-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Yeah I'm so glad I am getting a TON of calls too.

jeffex
09-12-2008, 10:13 PM
I would have rescheduled the job and taken the $100. Part of this business is just what you initially said to this customer....leaving the door open for them to call you back. Not taking advantage of your own technique so you can feel better is only a good story for this site but she could have been a future regular. I 'm not judging you skipping on what would probably be a PIA but why bother with telling her to call you and then letting your pride get in the way of a good business tactic IMO. I've done the same tactic but when they come back you have the upper hand and I've also found the finicky types have friends who know if she's using your services they may want to as well because she Will tell them how great YOU are just to make her look good.. call her back and fit her in ... its her downstream of people you want

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
09-12-2008, 10:28 PM
I don't understand are in business,or being pride full.....

Liquidfast
09-12-2008, 10:39 PM
I would have hit that property and showed her why I charged what I did. And probably would have thrown in some seeding. But that's just me.

The reason behind your decision is one that will quickly see you to an exit in your business. Sorry to be blunt but you can't operate that way. She found someone cheaper...so what. He didn't show but you obviously impressed her enough for her to call you.

Quick story. I had butted heads with a customer on several different issues. Finally, I gave in and swallowed my pride. To this day, she recommends me for everything. In fact, the most recent $7000 job was based on her recommendation.

But be careful of this customer. In the 5 plus in the biz I have yet to have someone BEG for aeration. Copulation yes, aeration, no.

Damn you man for being a part-timer! J/K

mybowtie
09-12-2008, 11:02 PM
I would have hit that property and showed her why I charged what I did. And probably would have thrown in some seeding. But that's just me.

The reason behind your decision is one that will quickly see you to an exit in your business. Sorry to be blunt but you can't operate that way. She found someone cheaper...so what. He didn't show but you obviously impressed her enough for her to call you.

Quick story. I had butted heads with a customer on several different issues. Finally, I gave in and swallowed my pride. To this day, she recommends me for everything. In fact, the most recent $7000 job was based on her recommendation.

But be careful of this customer. In the 5 plus in the biz I have yet to have someone BEG for aeration. Copulation yes, aeration, no.

Damn you man for being a part-timer! J/K

So your saying his buisness will fail because he has commitments for the next week and cant get there in the next day or so....Wow you have a crystal ball??

plowking15
09-12-2008, 11:05 PM
I see the point of not being to independent to get new accounts, but you quoted a price for a weekday. She cancels you and calls you back on Friday ,making it an emergency situation for you. Even if you could do it on a weekend. In other industries that would be an additional charge. I am in a service business,not lawncare and I will do calls on Saturday for my regular customers at weekday rates, I do get additional calls from price shoppers,because my competitors will charge an additional 75.00 for Saturday service,more for Sundays. I understand when a person is new in business,you put up with the BS to get established,but once your established you don't want to waste time with someone who may or may not be a regular customer[ especially a price shopper] ,unless it won't take time away from servicing your regular satsified customers waiting with cash in hand. I also have a habit of not fittng people in and making me late for the scheduled appointments unless the job I fit in wil pay more ,so I can give the other customers who were inconvienced a break. And the other customers have to approve of being inconvienced. plowking

Icepuck72
09-12-2008, 11:12 PM

People that are saying to take her and to swallow my pride are not reading my post. I'm full all next week, and she wanted it Saturday or Sunday. I'm working Saturday, and I don't do any lawn care on Sunday no matter what. On top of that, she was not the most pleasant person in the first place.

Some of you read too much into these posts sometimes. Of course I'm smiling just a bit because she didn't go with me at first and she tried to get something for nothing...now she's calling me back.... but I'm filled up, I literally can't do anymore. This is her loss. .:walking:

Liquidfast
09-12-2008, 11:23 PM
So your saying his buisness will fail because he has commitments for the next week and cant get there in the next day or so....Wow you have a crystal ball??

I think the bigger issue is you actually took time to post ^^^. Re read my post. Take from it what you will. I am simply implying that he doesn't let pride get in the way of allowing him to show off some mad skills.

And as a matter of fact, my wife wants to reply to your last question by saying yes, I do have crystal balls.

Icepuck72
09-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Pride is not getting in my way. Too much work is getting in my way. And that's a good thing.

JFGLN
09-13-2008, 01:46 AM
What is the big hurry with aeration? This week, next week, next month, does it matter?

02DURAMAX
09-13-2008, 02:15 AM
I start Monday!

bigjeeping
09-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Guys, this is the best part of being a business owner. We get to name our price - and who cares if its too high (if its too low your competition might get pissed). Personally, I overprice everything. I get paid WAY too much to do what myself and my employees do.

Capitalism is a great thing. God Bless the USA!

Icepuck72
09-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Guys, this is the best part of being a business owner. We get to name our price - and who cares if its too high (if its too low your competition might get pissed). Personally, I overprice everything. I get paid WAY too much to do what myself and my employees do.

Capitalism is a great thing. God Bless the USA!

Ding ding ding....we have a winner.:clapping::dancing::cool2:

grass-scapes
09-13-2008, 12:23 PM
I start Monday!

Aerators will be on the trailer Monday morning.

Frue
09-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Good for you!! A professional LCO has the feedom to tailor his/her business plan and type of customers he/she services. Personally, I've done just what you did twice this year.

Professional and sideline business do not go hand in hand. I get where he is coming from but the real reason he cant fit her in is that he is part time.......

Just like thousands of other people who do this part time. I am sure he is very professional and has great equipment and all. it just gets to me a little, when they brag how the really handled this customer and the truth is, its a part time job witch takes money off full timers.

There the pots officially stired.......

plowking15
09-13-2008, 02:35 PM
WOW! I don't have to compete with firefighters here,the local dept. is volunteer except for two fulll timers and some depts. don't allow moonlighting. My father did have a firefighter as a part time helper years ago. What your saying is that they have an income already and benefits so they can do lawn care that should be done by fulltime landscapers? I don't know his area ,so I can't comment ,maybe he has fellow firefighters and police as customers. Opps! I forgot, firefighters and police dont usually like each other. Especially if they are in the same town fighting for new stations, improvements. plowking

jeffex
09-13-2008, 03:23 PM
ok ok icepuck72 your right ,if your full then your full. I just think you could have still gotten paid from this customer and like has been posted, what is the difference of this week or next for aeration. I work a ft job as well and most aerations I do take about 1/2 hr so I would have fit her in but I have no knowledge of your situation. The real thing I DID read in your post was you telling her to call you back if it doesn't work out with this other cheap price. You may not have spoken the exact words but it is my observation that SHE took it as such. That is why she called you right back when he didn't show. Its your busines and I don't think for a minute one little old lady will break you. It is my also my observation that you are aware of good pricing and are learning the game of customer relations. All this rain should make areation much easier. I'm hearing Richard Petty on the radio doing his adds for REbel grass seed and it helps bring in the calls. Soon the newspaper will print its seasonal story about aeration and seeding for fall and get it going as well.

mississippiturf
09-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Professional and sideline business do not go hand in hand. I get where he is coming from but the real reason he cant fit her in is that he is part time.......

Just like thousands of other people who do this part time. I am sure he is very professional and has great equipment and all. it just gets to me a little, when they brag how the really handled this customer and the truth is, its a part time job witch takes money off full timers.

There the pots officially stired.......

I'll follow the wisdom of my late father who taught me, "Never enter a battle of intellect with an unarmed man" because the best part of being a business owner is that the owner can choose to run it anyway he/she chooses whether it be part-time or full time, low-baller, high-baller, or in between.

You have the right to take pride in "stirring the pot", I have the right to take pride in choosing my customers!! :rolleyes:

Oh, one more thing: I have yet to see such market saturation in this business to feel the need to tell a firefighter, policeman, or whatever, that he/she is a threat to my business.

I'm off my soap box now!!:cool2:

TOOMUCHWALKING
09-13-2008, 10:17 PM
I'll follow the wisdom of my late father who taught me, "Never enter a battle of intellect with an unarmed man" because the best part of being a business owner is that the owner can choose to run it anyway he/she chooses whether it be part-time or full time, low-baller, high-baller, or in between.

You have the right to take pride in "stirring the pot", I have the right to take pride in choosing my customers!! :rolleyes:

Oh, one more thing: I have yet to see such market saturation in this business to feel the need to tell a firefighter, policeman, or whatever, that he/she is a threat to my business.

NOW we're talking ! How many of us are MBA/CEO material, and how many are just guys who want to do their own thing ? I reserve the right to fire a customer if they piss me off too much. I think I just gave the heave-ho to maybe the fourth one in 9 seasons...to the O.P.; tell her she had her chance and now it's $150 !

Icepuck72
09-13-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm full because I swore I would only handle 15 customers, now I have 20. Newborn baby, paramedic school and my fire job. That's why I'm full.

I did tell her if she needed anything in the future to call me, which she did. She wanted the aeration done this weekend, which like I said I am just too busy. Busy all day Friday taking care of customers and work...which I'm actually at work right now typing this.

You would think the full-timers would like it if just a little part timer didn't get this account...that's more for them to grab up. Am I wrong??

Didn't mean to stir the pot with this thread guys.

Icepuck72
09-13-2008, 10:34 PM
NOW we're talking ! How many of us are MBA/CEO material, and how many are just guys who want to do their own thing ? I reserve the right to fire a customer if they piss me off too much. I think I just gave the heave-ho to maybe the fourth one in 9 seasons...to the O.P.; tell her she had her chance and now it's $150 !

I agree with you. It's my business, I'll take who I want and discard who I don't want. I do it my way. If you're snotty with me, I won't work for you. I have that luxury.

I am happy to say that I don't have one problem account, all customers are loyal and understanding.

Icepuck72
09-13-2008, 10:36 PM

Well said as well.

mybowtie
09-13-2008, 11:34 PM
I think the bigger issue is you actually took time to post ^^^. Re read my post. Take from it what you will. I am simply implying that he doesn't let pride get in the way of allowing him to show off some mad skills.

And as a matter of fact, my wife wants to reply to your last question by saying yes, I do have crystal balls.

I did re read your post...I still cant see how chosing his jobs and not doing this job is going to make his buissnes fail??

As far as your cyrstal ball.....You got next weeks NY lotto #'s?:laugh:

Frue
09-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Well said as well.

Be a firefighter. you cannot not love 2 things, you will love one hate the other. So someone suffers either the engine house or your customers. If your goal is to be a full time lawn guy then fine but if your just tinkering you are taking a piece of the much bigger pie.If your strapped for cash I apllaud you for making ends meet however you can.

This cracks me up "I work for who I see fit and I am the boss" Someday you will learn everybody works for somebody and if you are going to GROW you will have to put up with less then friendly or demanding customers. You dont like that please go fight fires.

yes I am very bored and I wanted to stir some stuff up:laugh:

Icepuck72
09-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Be a firefighter. you cannot not love 2 things, you will love one hate the other. So someone suffers either the engine house or your customers. If your goal is to be a full time lawn guy then fine but if your just tinkering you are taking a piece of the much bigger pie.If your strapped for cash I apllaud you for making ends meet however you can.

This cracks me up "I work for who I see fit and I am the boss" Someday you will learn everybody works for somebody and if you are going to GROW you will have to put up with less then friendly or demanding customers. You dont like that please go fight fires.

yes I am very bored and I wanted to stir some stuff up:laugh:

I'm glad that I don't have to do lawn care as my full-time job. Too many headaches, too many bad customers. Dependent upon weather. I'd feel as if I'd have to get everybody that called me even the jerks.

I don't want to grow anymore. 15 was my limit, I'm at 20 and that's it. Who said anything about loving lawn care? I like doing it, but I would never do this over being a Firefighter/Medic....no way no how.

I'm not strapped for cash. But my schedule allows me to work a second job like a lot of Firefighters, so why not? I'm good at it, and I enjoy it. Don't get mad at the part timers that can do it. :rolleyes:

Frue
09-14-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm glad that I don't have to do lawn care as my full-time job. Too many headaches, too many bad customers. Dependent upon weather. I'd feel as if I'd have to get everybody that called me even the jerks.

I don't want to grow anymore. 15 was my limit, I'm at 20 and that's it. Who said anything about loving lawn care? I like doing it, but I would never do this over being a Firefighter/Medic....no way no how.

I'm not strapped for cash. But my schedule allows me to work a second job like a lot of Firefighters, so why not? I'm good at it, and I enjoy it. Don't get mad at the part timers that can do it. :rolleyes:

I understand trust me. I have a friend who does both. The only thing he faces is loss of time with his family.