PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the business installas i am thinking of doing!

Hardscaping
09-13-2008, 12:17 AM
I have been thinking about this an looking for information on it, can't find much and i don't see much jobs being done like it around here.

My idea is for interlock inlays into asphalt.

Have any of you done this before? Got any suggestions towards the idea?

My basic idea of the job layouts would be done on computer and then shown to the customer. If they then agree i would go ahead and install as follows.

I would mark all areas to be cut and inlayed. The areas would then be cut with my 14 inch concrete saw with diamond blade for the long cuts. For the more complex cuts i am not sure what to use yet, maybe an angle grinder with 7 inch blade and a 4 inch blade obviously diamond tipped.

I am going to look for a impact drill with a really good bit that i can use as basically a router for the outlines. I will also use a variety or sizes for chissels and a dead blow mallet. for touching the edges up.

With the cut outs done i will be excavating down only enough to screed for sand and lay brick to correct height. So about 3 1\4 inches of excavation. then i will screed sand there and lay the interlock, then i would use polysand to seal the joints. Maybe once the bricks are layed i will cover the interlock and then seal the driveway to finish the look of a new driveway.

A couple benefits i will sell the customer on is the fact of having design in a dull driveway making it stand out. The newly sealed driveway. When people extend there driveway they always have those ugly addition lines from adding new asphalt to old asphalt, This will allowed us to cut those lines out and do the inlay there, depending on the location and design of inlay.

One thing though, is that people with ruts in the driveway i would want tostay away from as this can cause alot of problems.

Ok so now you have my new idea so, go ahead pick it apart, let me know what i sould do differently.

Especially in newer subdivisions where they got new asphalt just put down and they couldn't afford the interlock for the full driveway then this will be a slightly more affordable way to add design to their driveway. (while also adding alot of value to their house)

csl
09-13-2008, 12:51 AM
it sounds like a good idea. there are a few problems, and they fall within the work the guy before you has done. if the asphalt moves at all you are going to be in the middle of a pi$$ing match, and everyone is gonna point fingers. we laid a paver walkway between a retaining wall and parking lot, and there havent been any problems yet, but asphalt is a monolithic structure, where as pavers are not. good luck with it though.

Hardscaping
09-13-2008, 01:12 AM
I just found this when looking for inlay information maybe a good alternative to what i am thinking and to interlock and stamped.
It is called clay mac or something street prints they basically do the same thing as stamped concrete but with asphalt.

check it out.

http://www.integratedpaving.com/streetprint/

Hardscaping
09-13-2008, 01:59 AM
to do the inlays of interlock i would have to charge a minimum charge of 13.50 per sq ft to cover the costs and labour as well as make some profit. so what i was thinking would be a good altrnative to an expensive driveway actually is not that much of a difference once they pay for the asphalt and the inlay they almost could be at the cost of a full interlock driveway. I am still going to look into this more and try a few bids on the idea for some customers.

I guess it depends on the size of the inlay compared to the size of the driveway.

shovelracer
09-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Its been done before. Most common thing Ive seen is the installer does exactly what you said. Then it gets driven over and the edge pieces sink and the driveway eventually cracks. Blacktop and pavers distribute the weight differently which is why the driveway wont have a sufficient base for pavers in most cases.

Hardscaping - you got some big ideas. Thats not a bad thing. You really need to get some education and start cutting your teeth on little projects though. One bad large project will run you into the ground real fast. Its been mentioned before, but again you need big bank rolls to take on big projects. Not just talking about supplies here. What happens when you make a mistake and its either fix for 15K out of your pocket or get sued and lose everything.

Not that an inlay is a big project, but if it leads to replacing the blacktop than it could be.

PatriotLandscape
09-13-2008, 09:36 AM
asphalt is on a much thinner base then pavers it doesn't work that simple.

Asphalt dying and streetprints are garbage commercial projects.

The transition between the concrete and ashpalt will only work well for a few months depending on traffic.

It is different however if you are puring a new driveway you have much more control over your bases/transitions.

Hardscaping
09-13-2008, 01:20 PM
What if i put a concrete base under the pavers?

shovelracer
09-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Than you turn flexible pavement into a monolithic structure. You'd have to dig just about as deep, and it would cost more. Even if you dig the base out for your cut area you still have a problem with edge pieces based on the way the weight is distributed along the pavement.

PatriotLandscape
09-14-2008, 02:51 PM
What if i put a concrete base under the pavers?

how deep is your frost line?

Inlays are not new. I do believe you lay the pavers first then lay the asphalt.

Hardscaping
09-14-2008, 10:27 PM
3.5 feet i believe is the frost line here. so maybe putting the concrete wouldn't be a good idea.

I think i will try it out on a couple driveways and see what it turns out like. I will warranty it really good. This way i will see if any effects of the method of the instal is. and know the way i can prevent those problems.

stuvecorp
09-14-2008, 11:21 PM
:confused:Am I missing something because I can't see the upside of this. For the price you were talking about people could have real pavers. If people were on a budget they would go with stamped/stained concrete(at least here). I would hate to see you try this and it not work, are you going to repave or pour new concrete to fix it?

Hardscaping
09-14-2008, 11:34 PM
yes i will repave if it doesn't work
but i do think that it will work really good. And stamped concrete is expensive at least here it is. Costs more then basic interlocking brick.

I don't see why it wouldnt work. Things happen though so i will try it and see. i am trying to get a friend or my girlfriends parents to let me do it there to test it out.

Hardscaping
09-14-2008, 11:38 PM
If the driveway is a big driveway like 900 sq feet there is an upside but for a regular size small driveway it wouldn't be worth it no.

If there is a 900 sq ft driveway and they get say 200 sq ft inlay total then it would cost from $2000 when that same driveway to do interlock would cost about $9000 or more. then the cost of the paving at say $2 per sq ft then you have a total price of $3800 and up depending on interlock used. saving them over $5000

Do you see how it is worth it to do this now?

That would be putting a large inlay in there too. now instead of doing a full outline and then inlay they just do the middle with an inlay using only at most 60 sq feet. So now you got a cost of $780 plus asphalt ($1800) compared to that $9000 now saving them over $6000.00 on their driveway and they got a nice design to it.

stuvecorp
09-15-2008, 12:02 AM
It just seems like you're cobbling the clients driveway.

Hardscaping
09-15-2008, 01:54 AM
yes basically all i am going to do is make a design as if the whole thing was interlock with a design in the pattern. Then i will take just the design part mark it out on the asphalt then cut the asphalt out and prep and lay the design into the area.

Hardscaping
09-15-2008, 01:56 AM
Now if i were to lay the design first for a new driveway then pave around it and into it, How would i go about keeping the interlock in it place when doing the asphalt. This is actually been on my mind since i thought of doing this type of work. if you got suggestions let me know.

Would i just use edgin on both sides and then pave over the edging, just have the edge a bit lower then normal.

I could use a aluminum edge on the side where the pavement would be, so it could stand up better to the heat of the pavement on it.

PatriotLandscape
09-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Now if i were to lay the design first for a new driveway then pave around it and into it, How would i go about keeping the interlock in it place when doing the asphalt. This is actually been on my mind since i thought of doing this type of work. if you got suggestions let me know.

Would i just use edgin on both sides and then pave over the edging, just have the edge a bit lower then normal.

I could use a aluminum edge on the side where the pavement would be, so it could stand up better to the heat of the pavement on it.

yes. we only use aluminum edging anyways. I like it better.

John from OH
09-16-2008, 10:47 AM

I admire that you are thinking out of the box, but on a practical side, how do you plan on keeping new asphalt from getting on the paver inlay when the asphalt is installed? How do you plan on keeping the new asphalt from staining the paver inlay on 90 degree days due to tracking? Also, have you given any thought as to how the asphalt can be seal coated without the seal coat running onto the pavers? Sealcoating is a messy job. Once you have these questions asked, then you might have a winner. I put myself in the client's shoes and would be upset if my paver inlay turned into an asphalt stain mess after I paid a premium for the inlay.

I think inlays are fine for concrete, but I have my doubts about inlays for asphalt.

Hardscaping
09-16-2008, 11:23 PM
The inlay for sealing the asphalt after they would have to obviously cover the inlay when spray or rolling, would have to take more caution when doing it.

The inlay protection from this i guess i will have to look into it. There is nothing i can think of right now.

The sealing of driveway after i do the work is complete responsibility of the person sealing the driveway to take care not to cover the pavers witht he sealer.

When doing paving around the interlock inlay there will have to be special care as to not cover the pavers with asphalt. the best thing i can think of to avoid this happening is to cover the pavers with something when doing the asphalt.