PDA

View Full Version : no vassar but ok in my book

growingdeeprootsorganicly
09-12-2008, 11:39 PM
first year totally organic, spring renovation,aeration,myco,topdress,seed,RealTEA, and other natural things, getting ready for another renovation/topdress
all year-Pleanty of REAL TEA,plant based meals and liquid feedings, hand weed only, clippings mulched

treegal1
09-13-2008, 12:49 AM
yeah sorry about the post getting yanked, I just stuck my foot in my mouth over there. got to figure its pay to play time in here, sponsors and all that jazz. what ever, every one has to eat.

great looking sod, nice color, good cut and real tall, god I love that when I see some one who cares to raise the deck of there mower. I bet you clean it of every now and then also. thats exactly what the mods should have put on the vassar post. that name sound like cutting day at the farm. if they want to sell some thing maybe they should get some more of the facts into the post, maybe Bill should have jumped in, maybe not. he is a nice guy and his ict is ok but just the constant comparison gets to me every now and then, its not his fault.

treegal1
09-13-2008, 01:07 AM
this is all on real AACT only, and it only cost 560$ per acre per year. lets see some more real tea pics!!!!

JDUtah
09-13-2008, 01:16 AM
*peeks back into the forum, humble and a little embarrassed*

Good looking turf guys! Sorry, my pics are only jar tea lawns with limited SOM.

They might "not be Vassar", but were they "completely regraded and refurbished last fall"? I personally want to know what that means. http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=2399093&postcount=4

Good work! :clapping:

treegal1
09-13-2008, 01:26 AM
welcome back dude, funny thing, we are messing around with "the sprayer" and going to brew some tea in it, thats another thread.

lets not forget the dgl post with all the pics.....\

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=237205&page=3

09-13-2008, 02:17 AM
looks like new sod don't it?can't stress enough about proper timely over seeding too,i like to get in with the back packs and loosen up the matted down grass ete.. to let the grass breath so to say, clean deck and samurai sword sharp blades every day for my lawns! as long as irrigation is running correctly disease's really haven't been an issues for me this year

that property's soil is so bad too! surprised to turned out so well this year, my first year practicing commercial organic's lawncare was a big step for me to get right into, thank god it's working and im getting great results,

im known to put my foot in my mouth too sometimes, and have trouble keeping my options to my self but the comparison that i seem to read about every, every day, the misleading in sake of sales just turns my stomach to the point i just have to add my @ cents,
my options are not personal attacks, i sure certain people are real nice guys and all, but when do you turn away from the cross roads and take another route when it comes to selling products? i have no problem calling crap, sh@t but don't call crap, gold and say its not crap just tell it like it is and don't mislead in anyway, we all have to eat no bought! but a little less smoke screen and a little more honesty goes further with me.

when i go and see a new customer i tell it like it is, i could sell them some bs program and promise the world but they will not get results,icould just rip them off for the year and move on to the next, i tell them the truth on what it really takes, whats bs myths about organics and whats not, organic limitations and other short Cummings or other considerations they need to consider, expenses that might be needed to really get results, things like that, some go for it some don't, but either way they are impressed of my knowledge(still a work in progress) and trust me enough to help them with what ever program they decide to go with, it's all about trust to me, trust is the first thing that i sell a customer. without exception!

im working on my website right now, it's really hard for me to get it organized correctly the way i want it, i want it to sell me and my service approach ,with lots of good info, a type of resource if you will for people who want the best in gardening service, lots of trust worthy info/ options,
down the road hopefully we can get our own compost/vermicompost going, i know it's so vital to make this really work for me

i just started my own biz,im semi young,lived a hard live of sorts,had my on issues,payed my dues and just want to give back a little to my community in the most honest way possible.
i know i can be successfully with out coning/misleading in the sake of sales.
to each his own though

enough rambling
ill work on more pic's of lawns too

09-13-2008, 02:30 AM
jd my friend!!!! what up? glad you chimed in, chime in more offen it gets boring hear some times! lol love your good discussions you bring out but........no hurt feelings ok?

tree, your pic'S of your passion flowers A++++++++++ FREAKIN AWESOME great variety
i wanted to ask you about your tea apps, you guys have 200g sprayers? whats and avg. amount per app in gallons? i go through many gallons my self on a yard, wondering do you have to refill alot at the shop? what about dilution for only feeding lawns tea?
pm me if you rather,

treegal1
09-13-2008, 07:45 AM
no need to pm, we use a loads of tea 40 gallons to the acre is the high end and 8 is the low end, we water it down 1:3-4. we refill now at the new shop or the house, and we got our self's a 500 gallon tow behind pony tank and love it for droping REAL TEA at several golf courses, they do it 1:6.

Prolawnservice
09-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Growing Deep,

What kind of weed pressure are you experiencing this year, and how are you charging for hand weeding?

Tim Wilson
09-13-2008, 11:11 AM
that property's soil is so bad too! surprised to turned out so well this year, my first year practicing commercial organic's lawncare was a big step for me to get right into, thank god it's working and im getting great results,

C, I knew you were going to do a good job, right from the beginning.

Tim

09-13-2008, 11:13 AM
so many variables when it comes to weeds, since all my lawns are new to me things like past maintenance practices, depending how well the past weed control was seems to determine what im dealing with this year, also customers that don't listen to me about watering and have to water every other day get the worst annual weed problems,

this summer im seeing more and more yellow nutsedge and green kilinga(sp?).
depending on when i pick the lawn up and how out of control it is at that point all determines my strategy or my approach to dealing with it,
i think long term solutions for dealing with it organically, if you pick a lawn up at the end of summer full of everything and they don't want any chems or no renovation, i tell them well, let it run it's course this year but you have to renovate next spring,have to seed!!! but the fall is really the best time to get your yard ready for next year, it's the only way to out compete the weeds.

also i tell customer that i don't like to do just apps for them if they expect the weeds under control, let me cut and hand pick weekly, it's the only way to keep the yard under control, you have to hand weed weekly, charge in 15 min blocks per man, some customer don't have the budgets for that but again i tell them maybe the front can be chemically treated for weeds but the area your children play is that worth an extra 30-100$ a month to have a beautifully weed free lawn that is completely safe for them?

once my company grows i hope to take it full organic but till then i do what i have to do to get the job done with in the budget and man power i have,

my dream always was to offer a safe place for children and pet to enjoy.
im the only guy in my area offering this choice to them,

what to charge? it all depends really on how good is that customer to you?
maybe one price for cuts+15extra min if that between 3 guys a week?
to keep it simple or charge according to weekly time spent, if i do that i say i bill at 10$ per 15min per man instead of saying i charge 45 hr per man,
it doesn't scare them as much.

always say is that extra cost worth your child's safety! most go for totally organic back yard play areas

09-13-2008, 06:05 PM
more organic lawns, first year

09-13-2008, 06:09 PM
another house, organic care only

09-13-2008, 06:15 PM
new lawn, alright! grubs and tons of green kilinga to deal with, least there's nice soil and many big worm there too

09-13-2008, 06:36 PM
tim,
just saw what you wrote
thanks for the kind words

DUSTYCEDAR
09-14-2008, 10:24 AM
nice work glad to see it working for ya

treegal1
09-14-2008, 07:44 PM
growing, wow, I am so pleased with the new lawn pics!! it shows a "real" side of this biz. glad I am not the only one that is not afraid to show a dirt hole and tell how this is the start. honesty and integrity are what it takes to get by, you got that.

JDUtah
09-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the 'welcome back' you two.

Your pics/success help encourage people, including me, continue to pursue an organic program, correctly. :)

09-15-2008, 06:30 PM
tree,
thanks for the vote of confidence

jd,
keep learning and you will do very well!

ICT Bill
09-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Growing

EXCELLENT, great work those sites are beautiful

and.......................... they, their pets and their children can play to their hearts content, no worries

09-15-2008, 10:40 PM
on those propertys i say are safe .............yes

DUSTYCEDAR
09-15-2008, 10:43 PM
so what is going to be done about the grubs?
land shrimp?

dishboy
09-15-2008, 10:50 PM
growingdeeprootsorganicly , Nice work!

09-15-2008, 11:42 PM
it's easy as 123 if you do it right, there's no bs in my program but alot of hard a#@ work
not all of my lawns are chem free, like i said in my other posts most won't pay for the hand weeding or the extra products/apps needed for great results, the first two i posted are my show case lawns in those neighborhoods and i have had them since the beginning of march, i put alot of work into them, if you think i can get color and results like those lawns i posted i say come and watch me do it, but i know you like doing the bill gates thing, ive learned alot this year and i know what works and what are just promise in bottles, and i learned to that any one who is a sales man don't have my best intentions in mind, it's only about selling units to you guys, got stuck with out a heads up with half a pellet of chicken Sh@T without any warning to the possibility of problems,went bad after a month, like they didn't know

i put alot of work lately in finding good suppliers for most of my needs, like i said i know what works and what doesn't alls i have to say too is there will be many more lawns like them in the future, also too alot of my customers are present during my apps and i stand by my word on every thing i do, if i say one thing, i do it, i don't have to bs and smoke screen like others
i so sick of the bull cr*p i talk to guys every day about your wannab tea in pm, its them coming to me asking why they don't get results, but after they buy who care's there's plenty more to make the same mistake too right?

you have any idea what it take to brew REAL TEA and go out and apply?
all the work and time needed? to make a GOOD product?

nah... will bottle 4 dormant bacteria, couple myco( that one gets me too, surface applied? 67. cents per thou right? how much myco in there? couple other anti fungal spore, and the best, 1oz per thou of fish/kelphumic i guess?
whats that going to do? a.. food for the good guys right?
and to top it off and my biggest problem with it you call it compost tea.
do you make it from compost? i didn't thinkso, it's not by mistake you call it that? your trying to cash in on pros, no home owner going to buy it, the pro's would be your best market. you site talks about REAL TEA why?
talk about what your product is and find a new name cause i could give an f what you or anybody else thinks, you put the product out there for bandwagon jumpers to jump on to try to cash in on organic lawn care market and it just takes food away from the people doing it for real, besides giving REAL compost tea a bad name cause you dame well know it ain't nothing close to REAL tea, and i suspect it does nothing at all.

no what else iv learned when it comes to REAL tea local compost sources are where it s at for truly the best results

, change the name and ill never say a word again about it
i know that won't happen so please don't get mad when i stand up for my product ok?

09-16-2008, 12:00 AM
dusty to tell you the truth i would like to with in the next two weeks before they start moving down rip all that area out and just hand pickum out, the day i was there i must have pull out15% of them, the turf pulled back so easily, i checked the whole property and the grubs where only in that general area,

yah so rip them out and topdress and seed or sod not sure if they will let me?
i know that just fixes the problem for now and damage can happen again, thing is it's a summer house for them, so not sure how hard core they want to get,

i still learning the best way to handle these type of issues's too naturally, i mean i could just break out the dylox and problem solved but like tree would say where's the art in that? my going on 13 years in lawn care and my first doing organic's i still have alot to learn you know? any suggestions?
nematodes seem to be the only thing that sort of works for them if done right, i got this cool link of yahoo compost tea forum on the procedure to culture them but im not even close to doing that yet, there so expensive to buy, i have t really start researching solutions to these problems, one foot in front of the other, learned alot this year though when it comes to fert, tea, handing weeds, those where major things to over come,
im in this for the long haul so ill just keep checking thing off the list as far as figuring things out on how to do them best for a natural landscape care

any help for the grubs

treegal1
09-16-2008, 12:49 AM
http://gardeningzone.com/index_25_75.html

loads of water, also some botanicals if washed into the soil. maybe some of bills npp, but then there goes the art, get the big starter pac and save some back for a cheap 10 gallon diy toad factory.

jcflys
09-16-2008, 01:07 AM
Growing who are you so pissed at?

it's easy as 123 if you do it right, there's no bs in my program but alot of hard a#@ work
not all of my lawns are chem free, like i said in my other posts most won't pay for the hand weeding or the extra products/apps needed for great results, the first two i posted are my show case lawns in those neighborhoods and i have had them since the beginning of march, i put alot of work into them, if you think i can get color and results like those lawns i posted i say come and watch me do it, but i know you like doing the bill gates thing, ive learned alot this year and i know what works and what are just promise in bottles, and i learned to that any one who is a sales man don't have my best intentions in mind, it's only about selling units to you guys, got stuck with out a heads up with half a pellet of chicken Sh@T without any warning to the possibility of problems,went bad after a month, like they didn't know

i put alot of work lately in finding good suppliers for most of my needs, like i said i know what works and what doesn't alls i have to say too is there will be many more lawns like them in the future, also too alot of my customers are present during my apps and i stand by my word on every thing i do, if i say one thing, i do it, i don't have to bs and smoke screen like others
i so sick of the bull cr*p i talk to guys every day about your wannab tea in pm, its them coming to me asking why they don't get results, but after they buy who care's there's plenty more to make the same mistake too right?

you have any idea what it take to brew REAL TEA and go out and apply?
all the work and time needed? to make a GOOD product?

nah... will bottle 4 dormant bacteria, couple myco( that one gets me too, surface applied? 67. cents per thou right? how much myco in there? couple other anti fungal spore, and the best, 1oz per thou of fish/kelphumic i guess?
whats that going to do? a.. food for the good guys right?
and to top it off and my biggest problem with it you call it compost tea.
do you make it from compost? i didn't thinkso, it's not by mistake you call it that? your trying to cash in on pros, no home owner going to buy it, the pro's would be your best market. you site talks about REAL TEA why?
talk about what your product is and find a new name cause i could give an f what you or anybody else thinks, you put the product out there for bandwagon jumpers to jump on to try to cash in on organic lawn care market and it just takes food away from the people doing it for real, besides giving REAL compost tea a bad name cause you dame well know it ain't nothing close to REAL tea, and i suspect it does nothing at all.

no what else iv learned when it comes to REAL tea local compost sources are where it s at for truly the best results

, change the name and ill never say a word again about it
i know that won't happen so please don't get mad when i stand up for my product ok?

09-16-2008, 01:24 AM
long story, but many things, nothing 6 hrs sleep can't fix

ty, tree

10g diy huh? i look into it more

treegal1
09-16-2008, 01:48 AM
pet smart or some thing, air stones and some straw, maybe some agar..... good stuff.....another 5-6 hours of sleep and im fine type, eh i know how it is.LOLOL

phasthound
09-16-2008, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=growingdeeprootsorganicly;2516605]
couple myco( that one gets me too, surface applied?

As you know I publicly doubted that claim, too. As you also know I apologized after hearing from respected mycologists that surface applications do indeed work. I am sure you know the two Rutgers scientists who have held workshops for growers on how to collect and grow native mycorrhizea. If not, I will gladly get you in touch with them.

First hand experience with ICT Hydroseed, surface application to newly laid sod, within 2 weeks mycorrhizea association was established. I also use 123 Turf as part of our lawn care program with success. Am I biased because I sell it? I prefer to think I sell is because it works.

One of my landscaper clients just told me he had looked under the microscope at the worm castings I sold him this spring and was surprised to they were more biologically active than his own fresh castings.

Anyway, I hope you get some sleep. :sleeping:

Kiril
09-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Here's one for ya, cut at 3". Amendments for this year include:

1) Some left over alfalfa pellets from a friend in early May 2008

ICT Bill
09-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Kiril,
That is a sweet stand of turf

was that right before you KILLED IT, LOL

:gunsfirin:gunsfirin:gunsfirin

treegal1
09-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Bill I would almost bet that that is the only turf in the yard and it is only there to cover the drain field, that is the only turf in my yard.....

Tim Wilson
09-16-2008, 11:56 AM
As you know I publicly doubted that claim, too. As you also know I apologized after hearing from respected mycologists that surface applications do indeed work.

Barry, Some citations would be nice, with studies illustrating before and after measurements (microphotos). Was it necessary to cut air cores first or cut the grass really low? Does it depend on whether the soil is sandy? What is the germination percentage?

JDUtah
09-16-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm also wondering if SOM is a significant variable as well? (I know foliar apps, but still)

3 oz per 1,000, mixed into 4 gallons per 1,000, control strip left untreated. 2 sprays, 2 weeks apart.

No difference between treated and untreated ares. :(

Kiril, looks good! All about the water huh? ;)

Kiril
09-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Kiril,
That is a sweet stand of turf

was that right before you KILLED IT, LOL

:laugh: No, but trust me, not from a lack of trying. Almost time for the yearly over seed routine, which by the time I'm done, it does nearly look dead.