PDA

View Full Version : Employee/Friend...Need Help!

Kennedy Landscaping
09-13-2008, 12:36 AM
My on call guy is from another company so he brings his own equip. and uses that. He could use mine if he wanted but I think he just prefers to bring his own but anyways. I tell him to be ready at say 7:45, I show up a shade before 7:45 and he hasn't even gotten his company shirt on yet, trailer not loaded or hooked up, nothing ready. So then we are always late getting to a job, which is why we leave early anyways. His weed eater isn't strung up ready to go so half way through the first yard he has to stop and respool, then he don't have any string, so he has to use mine, he dumps grass on top of my gas cans, he never tucks his shirt in and when I say to do it he says Oh it'll be fine. I don't want to fire this kid because he has been a good friend for a long time and I don't want to make him mad and quit or anything like that. I just want him to be prepared and use common sense and be a professional about stuff. Any advice on how to correct this?
Thanks

Luvs2Play
09-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Take off without him.

You say he's on call? Give him enough notice, say a full day in advance so he can get ready the night before. Just let him know that you roll at 7:45, not 7:46. Maybe you expect too much from somebody that has other things going on, at least he is willing to help you out. Tell him to be ready at 7:30. Talk to him, maybe he just doesn't know what you expect. Around here it's somewhat hard to get anybody that really wants to work, let alone on call.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Usually he only helps on big jobs that are planned like a week in advance. He is a good hard worker and I don't think I expect to much out of him, I know he can complete the tasks with no problem he is just looking for an easy way to make money. So not enough notice isn't a good excuse on his part, although he has never used it. He has about four yards of his own and when he isn't doing that he plays xbox.

Luvs2Play
09-13-2008, 01:00 AM
Let him go, he is just too immature to accept the responsibility. Might be hard to do now, but the longer you let it go, the harder it will be. Also, repairing the friendship will start sooner.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Friendship is still good. I think what I'll do is just sit down with him and tell him stuff when I say be ready I would like for you to be ready to go 15 to 20 minutes early, this includes: having company shirt on and tucked in, equipment loaded and maintained, supplies in the truck, and so on and so forth. Then I think after all of that I'll just be like, I've been putting this off for a long time and I just can't let it go anymore so if you can't handle it I'll just find some one else that can. And then ask him if he is going to shape up and be a professional like he is being asked?

pinto n mwr
09-20-2008, 06:26 PM
let him go, story time never works

StBalor
09-21-2008, 05:07 PM
This sounds like a recipe for disaster from the beginning. He is on call to work for you are you for him? WHy are you meeting him at his house and him not at yours? Why would he be useing his equipment and not yours? It is only a matter of time before he demands more money for useing his equipment and just wait till his equipment starts breaking down on your job and he expects you pay for the repairs.
set him straight, he works for you, tell him to show up at your house on time and just bring his shirt.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-22-2008, 11:22 AM
JUst a little update, I forgot all about this thread, but he's been fired.