PDA

View Full Version : Do you inform them of suppliers?

thegreek
09-13-2008, 01:02 AM
Ive been low-balled on service by my distributors here and there whether it be brick or sprinkler systems or nurserys in general. Anyways Im alot closer with my sod farm now and sometimes when I do a estimate They ask where I get my sod from and sure enough I answer. When ever or about half the time when I do they call the sod farm luckily they dont do many jobs where im from but the people usually call back and say they have someone that will do it for half what im bidding or ask if they could get a deal. i know simple principles like if you know what your doing in general construction its 50-50 being half material and half labor. im just saying easy way of quick guess-stimate . anyways my question is i really get the sod from a middle man for a cheaper price then the farm generally sells to people but should I be vague cause it seems everytime i give all details i just end up losing alot more jobs.

PLM-1
09-13-2008, 03:59 AM
I NEVER give out where my stuff comes from. It's pretty much a take it or leave it price. I don't even break materials down per each on an estimate.

topsites
09-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Nah, I just do it for about half what everyone else is bidding,
the only part that blows my mind is why I am so tired every day.

Tyler7692
09-13-2008, 09:36 AM
HALF?! What makes you so special to high-ball?

thegreek
09-13-2008, 10:57 AM
yeah i use to work with people on the price but i live in the bay area where a one bedroom apartment costs you 1100 a month for a garbage rental. half! how do you make a living, but i do understand that since i use to charge half the rate for sod to get all the jobs. but i found out days of 2-4000 square feet and being able to only afford help from one guy while working all day wasnt worth it for me. I would rather see some good money for 10 hr days.

thegreek
09-13-2008, 11:02 AM
and half isnt highballing guy. thats rule of thumb for general construction. Im a journeyman union carpenter and a c-5 contractor. Ive built bridges jails homes schools roofs tons of concrete form work framing and landscaping and found its close to 50-50 and in no way high balling. But then again Im a union carpenter with full benefits and a 1390 gross pay a week so low balling aint really my thing, cause if im not making more then my field why am i doing it right?

Isobel
09-13-2008, 09:03 PM
I never tell people who my suppliers are, even if they are wholesale only sales.

02DURAMAX
09-14-2008, 12:52 AM
I never tell them!!!...Not good for them to know.

Ooomwizard
09-14-2008, 06:20 AM
Tell Lowes or Home Depot

doink

thegreek
09-14-2008, 11:04 AM
where im from lowes and home depot have the worst sod. I would never get it from there.

Tom B.
09-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Greek, If you're making $1,390 gross a week being a carpenter, what are you doing landscaping? Just wandering.

White Gardens
09-14-2008, 01:20 PM
I try to bid everything out 50-50. Unfortunately around here it's mostly blue-collared, and if your a white collared worker, 75% of the time you come from a blue-collared background. For example, the CEO of State Farm ins is seen from time to time out at farm, equipment auctions, and runs heavy equipment on his property just for fun. Supposedly the State Farm founder was originally a farmer.

With that said, most of my clients have done personal landscaping or are always out snooping around the nurseries, so it gets tough to bid out a job when you know that they have a general idea of what things should cost. Many times I have them request that some materials and items come from specific nurseries/ suppliers.

In the end I try to use my sales-manship to sell a job and explain to them the principals of running a business. payup

Tom B.
09-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Are you guys adding your profit margin after the whole 50/50 thing or is it included? I've never estimated a job by just doubling material costs.

thegreek
09-15-2008, 02:58 AM
its a rough estimate but now i am doing or thinking of doing my bids also by the way the government want us to do it which is three catagorys, direct cost overhead and profit find my percentage on direct cost and the amount or bid amount of direct cost and divided that into direct cost percentage. please help me explain it if anyone knows what im taking about.