PDA

View Full Version : Edger v. trimmer

Jmill88
09-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Just curious how often you guys use a stick edger on your jobs v. just using your line trimmer to do edging. I'm sure it depends on what the client expects/wants and how much they pay. Thanks

Grasshopper-ALC
09-15-2008, 04:46 PM
use stick edger on every cut on my better accounts. I think it makes it look better and you don't accidentally gouge the yard. takes a few more minutes but i think it is worth it.

Silver Landscaping
09-19-2008, 05:19 PM
I believe in using the right tool for the right job and always use an edger at all of my accounts. I think that it looks more professional. I try to market "attention to detail" customers seem to like it.

STIHL GUY
09-19-2008, 10:35 PM
its cheaper and easier to use a trimmer for me. it does take a couple times to get the first initial cut with a trimmer but after that its easy to maintain. it looks about the same with a trimmer as an edger if properly done

ed2hess
09-19-2008, 10:58 PM
Trimmers on all accounts for over 30 years and we can make them laser sharp all you need is a little experience. Brand new guys can learn in about a month to do a PERFECT edge cut on ALL grasses. Waste of space in trailers to carry extra stuff. NEVER EVER had a complaint on edges even on ones where we went in to do cleanup when yard was overgrown with St. Augustine grass. But 90% of the guys on lawn site use edgers and air impact wrenches and special tools to sharpen blades, and special tools to hold the unit up...etc. etc. And as a result they have to charge $1 minute to make money.

ALC-GregH
09-20-2008, 09:05 AM
I use a stick edger for over grown edges only. After that, my Edgit equipped string trimmer handles it great. It leaves a edge as sharp and clean as a stick edger.

RLS24
09-21-2008, 03:48 PM
I have a walk behind edger, and I use it all the time rather than the trimmer. To me, i think it takes longer to edge with the trimmer and it looks far worse.

arcticcatzr580
09-21-2008, 04:06 PM
I have a Husky stick and use it on almost every yard. I just don't trust myself with the line trimmer for edging. Paid 100 bucks brand new for the edger and it's the best piece of equiptment I have.

Green Finger
09-21-2008, 05:29 PM
its cheaper and easier to use a trimmer for me. it does take a couple times to get the first initial cut with a trimmer but after that its easy to maintain. it looks about the same with a trimmer as an edger if properly done

Second here.

I didn't know that a trimmer can give you that look until I was cutting with another Crew and saw it. Wow

It takes experience and steady hand and eye.

Once you get it. You'll be a pro.:canadaflag:

SNAPPER MAN
09-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Amen Edhess, I use trimmers to do all edges. Its alot easier on the body than using a stick edger. Also saves time because you dont have to make another trip to the trailer.

Lamonicaslawnservice
09-21-2008, 06:35 PM
I use the stick edger on all my properties. I have used a line trimmer a few times on even my good properties and it looks the same but takes me way longer with the line trimmer. It uses alot of line up too. I have houses with alot of side walks and driveways though.