PDA

View Full Version : Scag Vs. Toro, John Deere

Escapeslawncare
09-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Im looking to purchase a new mower and the Scag dealer said toro's just dont hold up, I dont beleive that to be true but lets get you opinions.

meets1
09-13-2008, 08:32 AM
I have no expereince other than demoing a scag. They seemed like a great mower but I went with TORO. I have had JD in the past but really did not like them at all.

In regards to TORO holding up. I have had 8 of these machines and currently am running 4 Z's. They have b/t 500 - 1200 hours. 3 machines have had 0 problems. 1 machine is in the shop at least every other week. Belts, spindles - replaced two, replaced both hydro's, DFS bagger vibration, throttle cables, always something with this machines. If there was a lemon law for mowers this would be a candiate!

So I would go TORO. Although my next new mower, I will look seriously at Exmarks new machine come next spring. Remember dealer support means as much as what mower you buy.

Escapeslawncare
09-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks, I think I will go with toro the dealer is one of the best mechanics in town, but I would still like to know more about Scag

ALC-GregH
09-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Scag is "simply the best".......

SomervilleLawncare
09-13-2008, 09:22 AM
IMO Scag is the better mower

David Haggerty
09-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Toro's commercial line can't be beat. Their professional series with ball bearing spindles aren't any better than anyone else's equipment.
What are you looking to buy?

djflats
09-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Anyone have some approximate price range of the toro series?
Z500
Z550
Z580
Are these commercial grade?
I'm not in the lawn business but I cut a little over 5 acres weekly here at the house. Some of the terrain is half-way smooth, some rough spots, slopes and hills. I was thinking of something like a 52" and 25 hp or so. I really wouldn't want to go with a bigger deck, some obstacles to cut around and between.
Thanks.

TPendagast
09-13-2008, 12:17 PM
I have had years of scag expereince followed by years of exmark and toro expereince. I used to have a fleet of all scags but by 2001 scag went to al kawi engines (for a while) and I liked the briggs vanguard series engines.
I bought new scags and had nothing but trouble with the kawi v twin engines, not scags fault, but they wouldnt give me another engine option.

I bought my first Lazer Z 60" in 2001. With 1800 hours on it i sold it in 2005 with no issues, ever.

MY riders were exmark and my walk behinds toro.

The lazer Z was the first to have the striping kit.
Now scag actually has a better one.

I think it depends on what you are going to do with the machines.

If you are going to run those things 8 hours or more every day, mowing lots of grass and you have employees. Go scag.

If you are owner operator, with a lot of resi lawns on your list and you do alot of on again off again with the trailer, go exmark.

Exmarks controlls are better, scags are tougher.

Right now I have one scag and one toro (much smaller than I used to be)
The scag is a much better machine (and its definately older too)

Toro T bar walk behinds are the best in the walk behind market.

But If I had a fleet I needed to buy over again. I would go scag.

meets1
09-13-2008, 08:22 PM
I would like to try a scag but dealer is to far away to even consider. TORO/EXMARK are here, as is JD, WOODS, GRASSHOPPERS, KUBOTA, DIXON, CUB CADET. Out of that line up for me, I have to swear by TORO/EXMARK. #2 you may ask - KUBOTA Z, then as far as I am concerned the rest may well....................

TPendagast
09-13-2008, 08:29 PM
I would like to try a scag but dealer is to far away to even consider. TORO/EXMARK are here, as is JD, WOODS, GRASSHOPPERS, KUBOTA, DIXON, CUB CADET. Out of that line up for me, I have to swear by TORO/EXMARK. #2 you may ask - KUBOTA Z, then as far as I am concerned the rest may well....................

IF you could get a kubota Z for same or lower price than exmark Iwould do it in a heart beat.

Escapeslawncare
09-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Well now I dont know wether scag or toro or exmark, so many choices

TPendagast
09-13-2008, 08:50 PM
psssssst over here! SCAG!

WannaGoodLawn
12-31-2008, 08:02 PM
I spent most of yesterday afternoon looking at new mowers: Bad Boy, Exmark, Scag and Toro and drove all but the Exmark at a local dealer.

The Bad Boy starts about $4700 and personally I didn't like it; sits too high, but looks like a good machine.

In my area, most of the Scag dealers are selling the 48" Scag Tiger Cub with a 26 HP Briggs & Stratton for about $5650-$5999 and this was my first choice.

Now, my new first choice is a Toro Z400 Comercial mower with a 52" deck and a 19HP Kawasaki; I've been quoted $6,199. This dealer took over another dealer's inventory and is trying to clearance out the last remaining Toro's at cost. They have a 48" for $5,899,but for $300 more, I get a newer machine and a 52" deck.

If anyone is looking for a new Toro; don't know which model, but the list on the one I REALLY liked was $11,500 and they were selling it for $7,400. Way more mower than I need for my 1.25 acres, but was it NICE!!!!! 60" deck, 23 HP Kawa and it was a smooth ride.

Of all of the ones I drove, the Scag and Toro were the best handling; but I'm giving my nod to the Toro. The one I'm looking at has a wrench-free baffle system that I really like, the ride and handling was a little better than the Scag, and it has the Kawa engine. The Scag Tiger Cubs that are being sold around here have a fixed ROPS and I really liked the adjustable one on the Toro.

May still go with a Scag, but today I'm looking at the Toro very seriously. I've probably given you more to think about, but that's my two cents worth.

DLAWNS
12-31-2008, 08:45 PM
I have a Toro Z and a Toro 21" push mower. I haven't had any problems with them holding up. Just figured I would throw that out there.

lawnprosteveo
01-01-2009, 09:34 PM
If you are talking walk behinds, I think Toro is the best choice of the three. If you are talking ZTR, then Id say its a toss up between Toro and Scag. But overall, Id take into account dealer support. You dont want to drive an hour for parts.

OrangeToys
01-01-2009, 10:12 PM
SCAG! The new deck that they came out with about 2-3 years ago is (simply put) in a League of it's own, I honestly believe that there is no mower that will leave a yard looking the same. The new deck design cut wet grass the exact same as cutting dry grass (no clumps, unless grass is pretty tall but what mower doesn't do that?) I was told by a local dealer that between scag, john deere and toro/exmark scag will put the other 2 in the ground in performance.:clapping:

Good luck choosing.

jds720
01-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I just sold my scag tiger cub, it would have been great if i mowed a field or somthing. It didnt leave a nice clean cut on St. Aug.

scagdude
01-02-2009, 12:06 AM
scag all the way. they are great machines and just never quit. most lco's around here run scags

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
01-02-2009, 11:49 PM
#1 scag, #2 exmark, #3 toro, #4 john deere, #5 dixie chopper, #6 grasshopper, #7 hustler...

rods55
01-03-2009, 04:12 PM
anyone running j.d. in there fleet, just left the dealer, nice people, kinda pricey, was looking at the 8 series, they had a demo 830 27hp kaw, 60" deck 150hrs for $8580.00 WOW or a 820 demo 54" 25 kaw powered, 200hrs for $8107.00, hustler dealer offered a 54" fastrack super duty kaw. powered 25hp for $5999.99, deere was nice, any input from deere users on how they like their ztr's

The Elements Group
01-03-2009, 04:21 PM
HMMM good question. I will say i am partial to toro. I get great service and they stand behind all of their products and deliver great performance. I am testing the new Grandstand by Toro right now and am going to test the wright on monday. the new grandstand is a grand treat. i am just curious but why do alot of guys on here use the 60" mowing decks? i have more than 12 yrs in the industry and i have worked with the big boys as an irrigation supervisor and also have my horticulture degree with emphasis in landscape and landscape management. you get a more quality and uniform cut with a 52" and smaller deck and less chance of scalping with the smaller decks . i understand if you have large open areas but thats the only reason it would make sense to me. i am just curious and i know that to each his own good luck if you want to know more about the mower asesment i am doing this coming week just keep looking for the post ill have it up on monday evening and will be buying one or the other as well

Glenn Lawn Care
01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
scag! there is nothing better

RTR Landscaping
01-04-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm sure Toro makes good mowers or they would not be around. I've never used Toro but I can tell you that I love all my Scags.I think they are built better than any other mower in the industry. Why don't you go and demo the mowers and see which you like the best? I'm fortunate that my Scag dealer is great and backs me up all the time on parts and service.
If the dealer told you Toro's wouldn't hold up, ask him what he bases that on.
Instead of selling you on the mower he handles,he's tearing the competition down. I personally don't like that type of sell tactic.To me the quality of the dealer is as important as the mower brand.

straightlineland
02-26-2009, 01:34 PM
just remember toro and exmark are the same...not everyone knows this. i have mainly scags, love them. don't have problems, but regular maintenance is key. i get about 3500 - 4500 hrs out of an engine, i have a tiger cub that is 5yrs old, on the second engine is runs great. we have changed out the hydro pumps, but when you have 5500hrs, that is expected. i am thinking of trying the new toro z in place of a tiger cub. i am also looking at adding a toro grand stand in addition to the rider. let me know what anyone thinks.

Sammy
02-26-2009, 08:11 PM
#1 scag, #2 exmark, #3 toro, #4 john deere, #5 dixie chopper, #6 grasshopper, #7 hustler...

#1 Hustler, #2 Scag, #3 GrassHopper, #4 JD 700 series, #5 Toro, #6 Bob Cat, #7 eXmark, #8 Dixie Chopper :)

Monroe74
02-26-2009, 09:29 PM
I'll put my two cents in I run mainly exmark but I do have two newer scag tiger cubs 24hp Honda engines 52" deck velocity plus my exmarks XS are 29hp dfi kawi 60" decks
I got these scags in august of 08 and i got two exmarks in the spring of 08 All I can say is exmarks 1 time to the shop scags 14 times to the shop my season ends here right before Thanksgiving problems i was having were Bagger bracket falling off, belts breaking, hydro pumps leaking, hydo motors leaking, Pto burning up at 50 hrs, Parts falling of But I've only used them for 3 months maybe things will get better if not I'll trade them for some grand-stands and give them a go. My exmark one ecm burnt out and it ran rough.

gdigman23
02-26-2009, 09:31 PM
it all just depends at the line you are looking at..they all make homeowner and commercial..big difference in quality and price..I have 6 JD F735 Diesel mowers with 54 inch decks...Normal maintenance is all that been required in 4 years and they are run 6 hours a day 4 days a week but they also cost 13000 apiece..simply you get what you pay for

WannaGoodLawn
03-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Hi all,

I appreciate all of the good advise and comments that everyone provided, thanks! I really liked the Toro, but the one I was looking at was 4 years old although new, but the dealer couldn't come off the price any more. So, I ended up "settling" with the Tiger Cub 48" with a BS 26; so far I really like it and have only mowed twice!

I've ordered the fabric catcher and look forward to using it. I am happy with my decision and really can't complain about the price I got. I'm looking forward to many, many years of happy mowing. That and I've cut my mowing time in one-half.

Thanks again for all of the input.

Roger

ramcat
03-12-2009, 10:39 PM
i think whichever one you buy will be the 'better' mower for you. if you didn't notice the majority of the people voting scag have scags and the majority of people voting toro have toros themselves. I've heard a lot of good things about both mowers, and not a lot of bad things about either, so i'd demo them both, buy the one you like better, and then come post about how much you like your mower......we'll congratulate you on your purchase and proceed to ask you for pictures of the mower.:)

weasel
03-12-2009, 11:55 PM
just remember toro and exmark are the same...not everyone knows this. i have mainly scags, love them. don't have problems, but regular maintenance is key. i get about 3500 - 4500 hrs out of an engine, i have a tiger cub that is 5yrs old, on the second engine is runs great. we have changed out the hydro pumps, but when you have 5500hrs, that is expected. i am thinking of trying the new toro z in place of a tiger cub. i am also looking at adding a toro grand stand in addition to the rider. let me know what anyone thinks.

that's not correct!!!

TuffWork
03-13-2009, 12:40 AM
This probably has little bearing on your purchase, but I, in the past, have just used top of line "homeowner" toro walkbehinds rather than the commercial ones. $400 savings for what I thought was not a huge change in quality. That was the case 5 or 6 years ago, but not the case now. I bought a brand new 08 model in spring of last year and it was just not up to mowing every day. I spent the first 3 months I owned it in and out of the shop. (it was so new I didn't want to work on it myself) Now only have problems with it from time to time, but I still feel like I got a lemon. Take that for what it's worth.