PDA

View Full Version : Ants, Ants, Everywhere...

srm077
09-13-2008, 12:23 PM
I have ants all over my newly converted organic yard. What can I use that will not hurt the beneficials that I am trying so hard to build?

Smallaxe
09-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Ants are cheaper than aerators. :)

If you don't want them there put some Borax on their hills. Not sure what Borax is but it is generally considered harmless and natural.

treegal1
09-13-2008, 09:39 PM
borax is boric acid, it works good, powdered molasses works also, my favorite is DE thats where its at for real!!!!

Daner
09-14-2008, 09:15 AM
The ants have been plentyfull up here In Canada this year...You can Mix some of that Borax with some sugar ...The Idea Is to get them to take It back to there nest.
Look for there trails and place It there ...mix a little more sugar than borax

FIREPLUG1111
09-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Have you tried gasoline, the higher the octane the better it kills ants

treegal1
09-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Have you tried gasoline, the higher the octane the better it kills antsjust remind your self about that 18 foot well, and that new pond! or use some ethanol and burn the little suckers.LOLOL

ICT Bill
09-17-2008, 10:23 PM
We have a new product that will be out in the spring Essential 1, made from essential oil, pepper and garlic, it will move ants to another area, even fire ants

It won't kill the hive but they will move, it will even keep armadillos from digging in beds

The biggest smell from it is cedar, not over powering

treegal1
09-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Bill, what kind of garlic??????LOLOL

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
09-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Try bisen........

44DCNF
09-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Your ants could be part of your beneficials. Ant eat grubs, mole crickets, and other pests. I wouldn't be too quick to try and knock them out. They may be doing you some good while there.

treegal1
09-18-2008, 12:34 AM
Your ants could be part of your beneficials. Ant eat grubs, mole crickets, and other pests. I wouldn't be too quick to try and knock them out. They may be doing you some good while there.you know, thats what I am thinking also, the NPP only gets used in a spot treatment by me now, thats powerful stuff, now this? i am interested to try some, but i will be more cautious with it, some how the kill and get it gone theme of the chem guys is starting to chime in my head!

hey bill where is the stuff that attracts the good bugs?! maybe some sun flower oil and rose pollen, maybe some saffron stirred in.

ICT Bill
09-18-2008, 01:06 AM
hey bill where is the stuff that attracts the good bugs?! maybe some sun flower oil and rose pollen, maybe some saffron stirred in.

I agree with you completely, the first thing that I hear from folks is "do you have a weed killer", "what does organics kill?", "if you can't kill weeds I am not interested", "do you have a bug killer"

:angry::angry::angry::mad:

It is important to not get off track

We are going to do the Garlic,Pepper, Essential oil thing but that is about as far as it goes

TG and ......I'll bet King Phillip, thank you for reminding me,

srm077
09-18-2008, 04:00 PM
I purchased some dehydrated molasses. Figured I could "discourage" the ants, feed the good guys, and add some micro nutrients in one easy application. Any idea how many pounds per 1000 to apply?

hunter
09-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Try orange oil. It will work. We use it on fire ants.