PDA

View Full Version : so hot I wanna puke

Mike M
09-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Southern guys, when does it cool off down here? Every time I step outside I soak my shirt like I fell in a river. The sun is making me wanna throw up. Seriously, this reminds me of living in PA and waiting for winter to end. I feel like I caught yellow fever or something. Maybe I did. Do they still have those misquito disseases down here? Really, I'm getting dizzy.

I think I should head to a pub, watch college ball, and drink some cold ones until October comes.

Cooler weather, plus, the lighting biz better pick back up or my daughter's catholic school principal is gonna start beating me with a yard stick for not paying her tuition on time.

I'm heading out to cry in a frosted beer glass.

Mike M
09-13-2008, 07:15 PM
(sp) mosqito, diseases.

bmwsmity
09-13-2008, 07:40 PM
i cant imagine working down there.... i hate the heat and humidity here in ohio.... at least this year it's been pretty bearable for a change.

last year i did a job and it was over 102 degrees the whole week.... blah.

David Gretzmier
09-13-2008, 08:06 PM
The good news is that you are in the coastal south, and it has pleasant weather year round. There is no real winter in the southern gulf. In October, it will go from hot and muggy to warm and muggy. In January, it is still pretty much 55-80 degrees as you follow Interstate 10 from texas to Florida. And pretty muggy all along the way. I head to the coastal south in February to take a couple of cruises after the crazy Christmas light season. After working in 10 degree temps, 50-70 degrees in February is awesome.

TXNSLighting
09-13-2008, 08:31 PM
ah, its not so bad, you get used to it after a while. before long 95 will feel good to you!

Mike M
09-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Okay.

Just got back from (2) beers and some lame sat night college games.

I just need summer to end and fall to begin. It was so flipping hot the past few months. Fire ants x (2), wasps x (2), (3) showers a day, and fermented gatoraide. I grew up thinking the phrase "endless summer" was a good thing. Well, the truth is, Mr. Heat Miser from that Christmas special when we were kids, was satan.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-14-2008, 09:46 AM
This weekend we have the remmanants of Gustaf over us making it warm and rainy, but our night time temperatures have started their dive to freezing. We had our first frost a couple of nights ago and the birch's are starting to turn colours now.

Pro-Scapes
09-14-2008, 11:14 AM
mid 80's here now. Has been in upper 90's and real humid this tropical season so this is feeling pretty darn good.

Seems the humidity is worse yet this year. By Mid to late October and into november things will be realllly nice to work in. I love the 60's

coxlandscaping
09-14-2008, 11:43 AM
It's been real hot hear all summer Last week was in the mid to upper 90's with the humidity being up to. It almost makes you wish for winter of course when it's 30 and 40 deg. Will be bitching about cold weather.

tdf
09-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Every year around this time I want Fall to hurry and come and around Feb I am itching for Spring again.

Chris J
09-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Every year around this time I want Fall to hurry and come and around Feb I am itching for Spring again.

I'm the same way, never satisfied at all. Is there such a place that has 70-75 degree temps year round? (Oh, that actually has a lighting market?)

Mike M
09-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Yeah, California coast. Let's go!!!

bthomaskelly
09-14-2008, 08:00 PM
I prefer the cold, seems your can always put on more clothes to stay warm. When your in the hot humid there isnt enough to take off. Grew up in miami and cant tell you how many days, hanging out in underwear with wash cloths. Much rather sunggle up with my lady in a thick blanket! With no humidity here, summers are a bear. Good thing winter is near. Not envious of that heat at all.
Kelly

David Gretzmier
09-15-2008, 01:04 AM
I Love summer days with low humidity. it's those 100% humid days that drop my energy level. drink 2 gallons of water, sweat it out, repeat.

ChampionLS
09-15-2008, 03:09 AM
it was 93 here today in Central NJ

LawnTamer
09-15-2008, 03:20 AM
I don't know how you guys in the south do it. I get so sick of heat, I feel like I am at the end of my rope every year by the end of Aug. But then, the heat here breaks.

Mornings here are very cool now, low 50s, sleeping with the windows open feels like heaven. Daytime highs have mostly been in the 70s this last week, a little under average for this time of yr, but perfect for working. My favorite days are the ones in Oct. Nice crisp mornings, a touch of frost, warming up to about 60 or so. mmmmmmm. Perfect, if I get remotely hot, I just pop off the hoodie and let the cool mountain breeze dance on my arms and face.

Pro-Scapes
09-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Yeah, California coast. Let's go!!!

yep where i grew up it was 60's to 80's most the time. the pacific is cold in northern cali keeping the temps in check. Head over the mountains to the central valley and its a diff story.

worx
09-17-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't know how you guys in the south do it.

Beautiful girls with long hair, dark tans, and skimpy bikinis help me through the tough times!!!!

Branch manager
09-17-2008, 10:43 PM
I have to agree that this is ideal working weather. I'm based in Western NY, but spend alot of time out here in Iowa, and the summers here are a ***** compared to NY. I'd honestly rather work in the cold, as you can layer clothes accordingly, though it reduces range of motion. I've seen a 100 degree variation in temps in Iowa(winter/summer), and if we get a dozen days above 90 in NY, that's rare. I don't plow; not a morning person. I pretty much get caught up on paperwork, dabble at cooking (my second career, coming up in a few more years), and fly out here to do treework with my brother. For sure, key is to stay hydrated, year 'round.And, 100% polyester shirts seem to help with the heat(try Duluth Trading Co.) Stay cool!:waving:

Chris J
09-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Today was a wonderful day! 81 and breezy, and we were at a heavily shaded property. It makes us work so much faster, and more efficient, plus it just gets me in a good mood when it's cool.

Mike M
09-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Seriously, today's weather was awesome, Chris!!!

Chilehead
09-18-2008, 08:35 PM
I have had a much more bearable year since i started wearing a large-brimmed straw hat, and shirts that are cotton/poly vs. just cotton--they wick sweat better. You can find all of this at Dick's Sporting Goods stores/website.

tdf
09-18-2008, 08:52 PM
I put gutter gaurds on my house today and aerated /seeded my lawn. I don't think I even broke a sweat. In the words of Ice Cube, "Today was a good day."

:cool2:
TF

Chris J
09-18-2008, 09:09 PM
I have had a much more bearable year since i started wearing a large-brimmed straw hat, and shirts that are cotton/poly vs. just cotton--they wick sweat better. You can find all of this at Dick's Sporting Goods stores/website.

You really like those cotton/poly blends? I tried this the last time I ordered work shirts, and I don't like them at all. Although they don't fade/wear out as fast, it seems not to evaporate wetness as fast as cotton. I guess everyone has their own preference, thus the reasons for choices.

Chilehead
09-19-2008, 10:31 AM
You really like those cotton/poly blends? I tried this the last time I ordered work shirts, and I don't like them at all. Although they don't fade/wear out as fast, it seems not to evaporate wetness as fast as cotton. I guess everyone has their own preference, thus the reasons for choices.

The thing about cotton is that it will absorb moisture much more than polyester. However, cotton takes longer to dry out once it is wet. There's a material that has been on the market for about 2 decades called Coolmax. Coolmax is a 100% synthetic polyester material. All of my cycling jerseys are made of this stuff, and they wick sweat like nothing else. Tee shirts can be purchased made of Coolmax as well.

KrayzKajun
09-19-2008, 11:55 AM
i love the southern heat!!!!

David Gretzmier
09-19-2008, 09:19 PM
I only wear the athletic type cooldry shirts from wal-mart from june through October. they are very light and keep you the coolest. I used to wear nothing but 100% cotton, and they are 100% polyester.

The weather here last week was possibly the best weather for the year. monday -friday, it started at 55 degrees or so and would warm to 78 degrees tops. start with a hoodie and shorts, shuck hoodie at 62 degrees or so.

we hung tons of Christmas lights this week and worked at the shop today. love this weather.

Branch manager
09-20-2008, 01:01 AM
:laugh: Stringing Christmas lites before summer is officially over? Hmmm. Anyway, I agree that the Coolmax shirts from Duluth Trading Co. are the way to go. The more quickly the moisture wicks and evaporates, the better, and they come in several styles. Up north, we are at the end of sweat-season; we even had frost advisories posted last few nights. Be safe out there:waving:

Mike M
09-21-2008, 09:57 PM
When you guys are wearing those coolmax, etc., shirts, are you wearing these under your work shirts or as stand alone?

I've discovered the tommy bahama type silk or linen are available in a "camp shirt"--they are cut near the waist so you don't have to tuck them in. Too expensive for installs, but I got one for consultations and demo's.

Mike M
09-24-2008, 05:51 PM
www.grits.com/tea.htm

Check out the southern iced tea recipes here, I made some today, totally awesome.

btw, recipe #1, the pitcher is 1 gal.

Branch manager
09-24-2008, 06:19 PM
When you guys are wearing those coolmax, etc., shirts, are you wearing these under your work shirts or as stand alone?

I've discovered the tommy bahama type silk or linen are available in a "camp shirt"--they are cut near the waist so you don't have to tuck them in. Too expensive for installs, but I got one for consultations and demo's.

We wear them stand-alone; I prefer the short-sleeve versions, whereas my brother wears long-sleeve for forearm protection while in the trees(abrasions and scratches, not chainsaw). We also go with the High-Vis yellow when working anywhere near a street/road. Me being in yellow also helps him to see where I am when he begins cutting limbs. We've done this for well over 5 years together, and have S. O. P.'s in place...dangerous stuff, you know.:weightlifter::waving::drinkup:

TPnTX
09-24-2008, 09:23 PM
North Texas weather, just gotta love it. Mild winters Hot Summers. Wouldn't have it any other way.

irrig8r
09-25-2008, 12:28 AM
www.grits.com/tea.htm

Check out the southern iced tea recipes here, I made some today, totally awesome.

btw, recipe #1, the pitcher is 1 gal.

What makes it "Southern"?

I thought y'all drank mint juleps (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mint-Juleps/Detail.aspx)....

which appears to be basically a mojito, only with bourbon instead of rum... :)

Chris J
09-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Recipe #1 is how I've made tea for years. I thought that was the way everybody did it; around here anyway. I know I've had some pretty nasty tasting tea in other parts of the country, but I guess it's all about what you're used to. When I was in Ohio last time, I thought it was pretty funny that those folks didn't know about boiled peanuts. To them, boiled peanuts are N-A-S-T-Y!

irrig8r
09-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Funny thing about that Chris. I'd never had boiled peanuts until last year at the local farmers market.

There are Southeast Asian farmers (Hmong, on our side in Vietnam and refugees that settled around the Fresno area) who bring them in along with lots of Asian vegetables I'd never seen before.

So they offer them freshly dug, and also already boiled. The market has an international flavor to it, and most of the peanuts were being bought by Chinese and Indian people.

I liked the boiled peanuts. My girlfriend didn't.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Gregg, watch for the source of those peanuts.... Seriously. China is now the largest grower of peanuts in the world, only problem is, they use a pesticide on much of their crop that is banned by the rest of the world. Nasty stuff.

Same thing goes for honey! Apparently the ariaries in China (quickly becomming a huge producer of honey) are allowed to use a fungicide that is banned for use by most other countries.

This in the wake of the melamine tainted milk supply, the melamine tainted wheat gluten supply (that took down Canada's largest producer of pet foods - Menu Foods) and the lead in toys scandal has us being very careful about sourcing our food supply locally.

Have a healthy day.

Mike M
09-25-2008, 06:13 PM
I liked the boiled peanuts. My girlfriend didn't.

This is a good situation to be in.

btw: I make boiled peanuts, it's awesome because you can stand there and eat few pounds all at once.

Recipe:

Put a bag of raw peanuts and a few tablespoons of salt inside a big pot add water and boil for about 45 minutes. Start tasting them to see if they are tender, and add salt to taste. It's that easy. My wife didn't like them at first, but now she gets mad when I stand there and eat them like a pig.

fyi: They are not a new way to eat them, Jimi Carter ate them boiled as a kid. This Saturday they are having the 2008 Peanut Festival in Plains, GA. He will be there with his wife, both doing book signings. It's like 5 hours from me and I have no real life, so I was thinking about a back-roads-Georgia road trip.

But I'm so lazy, I'll probably stay home and make my wife go buy raw peanuts at the store.

irrig8r
09-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Gregg, watch for the source of those peanuts.... Seriously. China is now the largest grower of peanuts in the world, only problem is, they use a pesticide on much of their crop that is banned by the rest of the world. Nasty stuff.

Thanks James

Maybe I didn't make it clear that these peanuts were grown by the Hmong farmers in the Fresno area (San Joaquin Valley, still mostly agriculture.)

They are only available for a short time (might be over already). My point was they were quite popular with a lot of ethic groups, and not commonly available here.

These families come to Saratoga/ Cupertino/ Campbell with a load of Asian vegetables because they know there are a lot of Asian people in the area and there is a big demand for fresh vegetables.

Good stuff. You can find seeds for a lot of them here: http://www.kitazawaseed.com/index.html

Mike M
09-25-2008, 07:46 PM
In an effort to stay alive on my budget, I'm turning to readily available southern foods. I just bought a bunch of grits. If I'm lucky, I'll have shrimp with them. Someone offered to take me schrimpin' soon.