PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Stripes with a Walker GHS or ExMark Navigator

pflasch
09-13-2008, 07:21 PM
For anyone that has these great machines, how do you get a professional stripe with the tail wheel making it's own mark?

OR, should I just get a mid mount and forget about a stripe with these up front machines??

Turf Dawg
09-13-2008, 07:29 PM
You can get the wide tail wheels for the Walker if the center stripe bothers you.

grassaholic
09-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Like Turf Dawg said, You can get the split tail wheel option on the Walker and it will stripe just like a midmount. As far as I know, the Walker and the Navigator can lay down some pretty mean stripes. They just have an extra tire mark in the middle of each stripe, but the stripes are just as good as any other mower. I know the extra tire mark bothers some people, but that doesn't mean they don't stripe.

pflasch
09-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Thanks too both of you... I'm off to get a split tail wheel kit!

dave k
09-14-2008, 08:53 PM
I have a Walker and if I remember right when checking on the split wheel assy. you will need to use the wheels that are on your mower now, FYI

pflasch
09-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks Dave,

I'll check on that tomorrow!

2stroke
09-14-2008, 09:40 PM
walker stripes pic... single wide rear tire. phone pic.

Jason Rose
09-14-2008, 11:38 PM
The tail wheels don't bother most people, it's kinda a trademark stripe. anyone who knows mowers can spot it a mile away.

Another phone camera pic. this is my grandma's front yard.

Oh, and this is ONCE over in that direction, not "burned in" over several weeks like some people do. And the dark lines you see are the shadows of the powerlines that run overhead.

GrassmasterB
09-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks too both of you... I'm off to get a split tail wheel kit!

so did you get the split tail wheel kit? if so, how do you like it? i was thinking about getting it too smooth out the ride.

pflasch
09-30-2008, 08:29 PM
GrassmaterB,

I'm not going to do anything until after I get back from GIE.
Thanks for the followup...

tallimeca
10-02-2008, 07:05 PM
the dual split wheel on the walker is hated by LCO's around here. Most dealers stock them with the single wide wheel. Be prepared however, that tire is speciific to walker and is about 100 bucks to replace.

navigator comes with the single wide semi pneumatic tire, so you dont' have to worry about replacing it. The split wheel you can put on for 200 dollars . never seen on.

As far as stripping, you can run the machine side by side and wouldn't notice a difference in my opinon. A couple hard core yellow guys around here will attest the walker definetely has a better cut....haha. Fact is Navigator has a higher blade tip speed and deeper deck......

you be the judge. But the true fact is nothing on the market cuts like these two machines.

Jimmy Dean
10-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Seems like the "Feather Touch Control system" on the Navigator would be uncomfortable after awhile by having to keep your hand down between your legs all day. Is it?

dishboy
10-02-2008, 09:40 PM
the dual split wheel on the walker is hated by LCO's around here. Most dealers stock them with the single wide wheel. Be prepared however, that tire is speciific to walker and is about 100 bucks to replace.

navigator comes with the single wide semi pneumatic tire, so you dont' have to worry about replacing it. The split wheel you can put on for 200 dollars . never seen on.

As far as stripping, you can run the machine side by side and wouldn't notice a difference in my opinon. A couple hard core yellow guys around here will attest the walker definetely has a better cut....haha. Fact is Navigator has a higher blade tip speed and deeper deck......

you be the judge. But the true fact is nothing on the market cuts like these two machines.

Deep deck and massive airflow mucks up the cut on lawns that have a intelligent fertilizer program. For commercial programs with idiots fertilizing or guys who don't do their own fertilizing pushing all that air around is beneficial, but Walker has the airflow thing figured out for manicured residential landscapes. I've owned three Exmarks and sorry the cut and build quality of Exmarks products does not stack up to Walkers product. . You say Navigators are built stronger , I say that extra two hundred pounds is a BIG NEGATIVE on what it does to the soil and turf appearance in confined areas where The Walker is designed to be used. If you are satisfied with the Navigator then I would suggest a Wright Stander, more productive and way less money to keep working.

flatlander42
10-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Seems like the "Feather Touch Control system" on the Navigator would be uncomfortable after awhile by having to keep your hand down between your legs all day. Is it?

i drive my navigator with just 4 fingers *all but thumb on my left hand*

I just stuff the speed control forward to how fast you want to go with my right hand, then i can hold on to my Phone so i can feel it vibrate and never miss a call!

I find it super easy to drive and just as easy as any Walker would be to dirve also.

Now any other Z would need constant *well allmost constant* hands and attention to Both handles....right?

im not sure how you think the Navigator is hard to dirve or uncomfortable :rolleyes:

oh and yeah, i like to see the trademark stripes from the local Walkers and my Navigator :cool2: the only stripes around here that are worth a hoot are from these two!

quote from the guy above
"I say that extra two hundred pounds is a BIG NEGATIVE"

it is no worse than having a Fat guy riding a Walker...is it?

and yeah, it sure is heavy and smashes the he// outta some small areas

Later,

Nathan

flatlander42
10-03-2008, 11:52 AM
i know i posted this in another thread, but it fits here too!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk198/masternate42/100_1609.jpg

Drew Gemma
10-03-2008, 06:21 PM
i run the dual wheel kit on my walker and a few days later those tire marks are gone and the stripe is like any other get dual tail wheel kit but don't get the split kit.

DAR57
10-04-2008, 10:40 AM
I also run my Navigator with 4 fingers- 2 on each control. Right hand on speed control. Love the cut, speed and compliments! I am the only one who runs my Navigator because of the difficulty of straight lines on this style mower. The other guys are the lucky ones on the mid-mounts. This a a RINGING ENDORSEMENT since I prefer Hustlers over anything!! Didnt know that ExMark had the split wheel adaptor though. Would prefer that so also strpies looked similar.

flatlander42
10-04-2008, 05:15 PM
dont forget when you go putting the dual wheel kit on either the walker or navigator, you will hit all kinds of stuff you never used to with the single wheel. i have not used one with the dual wheels on back, but i would think that they would drop off the curb, and run over the edge of flower beds and stuff like that. i am sure you could get used to it, but i dont mind the looks of the extra mark enough to go changing stuff.

One more thing, does the Navigator offer the two small center wheels instead of the one huge middle tire? from the walker that i used to run to this one, i have noticed that when i go straight in, and straight back, where the rear tire spins makes more of a mark than the two small tires in the middle used to. just wandering, or maybe i would try and fit the two tires off of an old walker and put them on my navigator. not that much of a big deal, just something that i may try and do this winter, or sometime.

Nathan

tallimeca
10-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Deep deck and massive airflow mucks up the cut on lawns that have a intelligent fertilizer program. For commercial programs with idiots fertilizing or guys who don't do their own fertilizing pushing all that air around is beneficial, but Walker has the airflow thing figured out for manicured residential landscapes. I've owned three Exmarks and sorry the cut and build quality of Exmarks products does not stack up to Walkers product. . You say Navigators are built stronger , I say that extra two hundred pounds is a BIG NEGATIVE on what it does to the soil and turf appearance in confined areas where The Walker is designed to be used. If you are satisfied with the Navigator then I would suggest a Wright Stander, more productive and way less money to keep working.

1" deeper and no massive airflow......just enough to make it bag wet grass better then the competition. From the pictures posted about, i think there's no doubting the cut on the navigator.

You said you owned 3 Exmarks. Do you mean Navigators or Lazers? The Lazer or any other manufacturers Z's cut does not stack up to the Navigator or Walker because if it's unique build. If you are comparing a Lazer to your Walker, it's not an apples to oranges comparison and holds no water.

Most guys would take the 200 lb difference and have a machine that doesn't fail as much and hold up better over time. 200lbs is a big difference on a 21 inch mower or a lawn roller. On a machine like this, it really doesn't matter. I mean your saying that you couldn't let one of your local offensive lineman cut with this machine because he weights 350lbs. You have to put your 150lb son on it. Doesn't make much sense does it? Especially when the weight is distributed over 5 wheels, 4 ft wide and 6 feet long.

The split wheels are designed to counter rotate when you turn. Like I said, it depends on the trend where you are. Here in New England, primarily single wheels. Plus, the walker tires in the rear hold air and cripple the machine when they go flat. Won't ever have that issue with the navigator.

nosparkplugs
10-04-2008, 06:16 PM
From those pictures above I would say it was a Walker cut, if it were'nt for the red navigator in the picture. Looks like a manicured cut to me, nice job, that hurt to say:laugh:; consequently the Walker VS Navigator debate will never crown a true winner. Just for the sake of argument if Exmark ever added the additional feature's low profile extra wide tires, larger SD decks. Then Walker might need to be scared:waving: Could someone answer the question, why have they not done this yet.

DAR57
10-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Nosparkplugs hit the nail on the head with the accessories issue!! I am very pleased with my Navigator but I am looking into re-fitting a Walker side discharge onto my Navigator this winter....UGH!! I should not have to do that.

flatlander42
10-04-2008, 09:23 PM
:weightlifter::weightlifter:that will be a project that you HAVE TO POST PICS OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!:weightlifter::weightlifter:

and if you figure it out....that would be super SWEEET:cool2:

thanks,
Nathan

Jimmy Dean
10-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Nosparkplugs hit the nail on the head with the accessories issue!! I am very pleased with my Navigator but I am looking into re-fitting a Walker side discharge onto my Navigator this winter....UGH!! I should not have to do that.

You would think that they (exMark) would provide that as an option on the Navigator.

tallimeca
10-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Just for the sake of argument if Exmark ever added the additional feature's low profile extra wide tires, larger SD decks. Then Walker might need to be scared Could someone answer the question, why have they not done this yet.

The 18x10.50x10 low profile tires are standard on a navigator. You can get the narrower wheels/tires as an option.............

Side discharge decks......... Exmark's response was why would you buy a dedicated bagger if you wanted to discharge. Where all walker does is build walker machines and attachments, It makes sense for them.

If there was a large demand for side discharge deck options, exmark would be working on it. I've never had anyone ask for it. People buy the machine knowing they want to bag. With the Navigator, you have the fill reduction kit or just open the back door (which I don't like).

My wish list for Navigator options.......

1) Liquid cooled engine option. EFI and diesels were a fad. Liquid cooled serves more of a fuction.

The problem is now with prices increasing drastically, manufacturers might stop offering so many engine options. Walker retails are reported to go up 10 percent for 09' models. That's over 1000 dollar increase. Exmark is rumored to be 6-8%. I think you are gonna see guys scrapping the diesel, efi, liquid cooleds, and going back to the cheaper gas models.

nosparkplugs
10-07-2008, 09:36 PM
The 18x10.50x10 low profile tires are standard on a navigator. You can get the narrower wheels/tires as an option.............

Side discharge decks......... Exmark's response was why would you buy a dedicated bagger if you wanted to discharge. Where all walker does is build walker machines and attachments, It makes sense for them.

If there was a large demand for side discharge deck options, exmark would be working on it. I've never had anyone ask for it. People buy the machine knowing they want to bag. With the Navigator, you have the fill reduction kit or just open the back door (which I don't like).

My wish list for Navigator options.......

1) Liquid cooled engine option. EFI and diesels were a fad. Liquid cooled serves more of a fuction.

The problem is now with prices increasing drastically, manufacturers might stop offering so many engine options. Walker retails are reported to go up 10 percent for 09' models. That's over 1000 dollar increase. Exmark is rumored to be 6-8%. I think you are gonna see guys scrapping the diesel, efi, liquid cooleds, and going back to the cheaper gas models.

Every dealer i have visited is going up some as high as 10%,

I know that LC is superior to AC, but I have always ended up purchasing the Air cooled Kohlers mainly due the immediate availability of the AC engines, and the lack of Dealer inventory of the EFI, AC gas or diesel models. Quite frankly the AC engines do well when you go to a 15w-40 grade oil, instead of the OEM 10w-30. Once I switched the oil viscosity I have had no engine failures. I really need a LC engine in the next purchase that I agree. But the AC 20hp kohlers have made alot of money for us, for their cheaper price tag:laugh: i will always look back on them with a love hate relationship.

DAR57
10-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Dont know about fuel on my Navigator, but I use 7/10 gallon per hour on my 30HP Kohler Hustler and am glad I didn't spend the extra $1000 on fuel injection. It seemed hard to justify then and even more now that I know what I am getting.