PDA

View Full Version : Best price on VTS

NEUSWEDE
09-13-2008, 09:32 PM
I am in the market for VTS tracks for my Gehl 5640. My over the tire tracks are not cutting it any more. Don't want to buy a tracked machine because I need wheels for snow removal in the winter.

Just wanted to see what others paid or a source for a good price on a new set.

RockSet N' Grade
09-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Neuswede..I have a 5640T, got a used set (almost new) for $8,500. Check ironplanet....sometimes they have them for sale. I called the VTS dealer direct and asked for a used set, after some looking, he found them for me. Ksss, as I recall, got a killer deal on iron planet and paid in the neighborhood of $5k for his.......he always gets killer deals - I gotta follow his lead more often!

bobcat_ron
09-13-2008, 09:45 PM
There's still some frames on CatUsed.com, they are listed as Cat fits, but you never know.

Construct'O
09-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Stuvecorp has a pair on his machine that he bought from a dealer on here that has posted some.Then there is also Ebay! They have some listed off and on.Good luck

Digdeep
09-13-2008, 10:55 PM
What kind of warranty are they offering on their tracks? I have talked to a few guys who have been having early hour track failures especially with the bars ripping out of them.

stuvecorp
09-13-2008, 11:36 PM
There's still some frames on CatUsed.com, they are listed as Cat fits, but you never know.

I think they can be adjusted depending on if they are large or small frame units. Dale of KR (he is KRTraxx I think) finds alot, sometimes people trade or sell but he is a good one to talk to. If you look online and at different dealers you might come across one. Good Luck.

stuvecorp
09-13-2008, 11:38 PM
What kind of warranty are they offering on their tracks? I have talked to a few guys who have been having early hour track failures especially with the bars ripping out of them.

I have heard that the older tracks get big cracks but last awhile where the newer tracks don't crack but wear faster.

RockSet N' Grade
09-13-2008, 11:57 PM
mine must be older because they are cracking.....got about 300 plus hours on them. I got the extended warranty on my skid in case there are drive train issues and they said even with vts on, warranty is still valid.........knock on wood on that one.....no problems yet and I like em alot. When ya get old and ugly like me one of the few things that means anything is walking at the end of the day and comfort.........vts does it over wheels hands down! would i switch back and forth to wheels even if i knew wheels would be better....nope, i wouldn't........tracks is the cats meow!

Scag48
09-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Ksss, as I recall, got a killer deal on iron planet and paid in the neighborhood of $5k for his.......he always gets killer deals - I gotta follow his lead more often!

Well actually, this is only the first killer deal he has nailed down. The Case "good buys" were just average value, they just aren't worth very much. :laugh: Must I bring out the acronym again?

RockSet N' Grade
09-14-2008, 11:06 AM
The dump truck......about 12k under current market (at least) and the 9020 hoe for 15k under market........that's some serious monthly payment reductions and some real gain in equity.........which is very difficult to do with equipment in general. Big lessons there in survival 101 in owner/operator business or for that matter for any sized business........that is the difference between prosperity/excelling vs. being just your average joe.......regardless of color.

Scag48
09-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Oh I know, Kaiser does some decent shopping. Hopefully he makes it out here next week for Ritchie Bros. and scores a few more deals.

ksss
09-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Oh I know, Kaiser does some decent shopping. Hopefully he makes it out here next week for Ritchie Bros. and scores a few more deals.

I am not going to make it this time. The Fall rush turned out to be better than I thought and I am shorthanded. I really wanted to pickup a 160 sized 42" bucket. I missed one in Colorado on Iron planet by 300 dollars last week. If the weather is decent I will make the one in Dec. I usually avoid that sale in Olympia because all the money comes out in Dec due to guys trying to off load some cash before the end of the year. I don't think that will be an issue this year.

AMCAT
09-15-2008, 09:42 AM
By the sounds of it there are more people out there with VTS sytems on their skids ,, would you post your past experiences good or bad as i also have VTS but not long term yet i am happy so for with them but would like to know anything to watch out for if you have any hints as far as maintenance :dancing:
Picture of my CAT 248B with VTS

Junior M
09-15-2008, 02:11 PM
I asked in another thread.. But I think I will get better responses here... What are the advantages of having VTS? Are they cheaper to maintain? better traction? what is it?

stuvecorp
09-15-2008, 04:54 PM
I asked in another thread.. But I think I will get better responses here... What are the advantages of having VTS? Are they cheaper to maintain? better traction? what is it?

1. For those that plow snow with your skid, just take off the tracks and put the wheels back on.
2. Resale, if you are going to get the same thing just keep the tracks and bolt them up to the next machine.
Don't know about the long term maintenance cost but they turn a regular skid in to an animal.

Junior M
09-15-2008, 07:30 PM
1. For those that plow snow with your skid, just take off the tracks and put the wheels back on.
2. Resale, if you are going to get the same thing just keep the tracks and bolt them up to the next machine.
Don't know about the long term maintenance cost but they turn a regular skid in to an animal.
ok.. umm that didnt help much.. so I will change the question around and ask this... Why did you put VTS on your machine?

Nelson M Martin
09-15-2008, 07:57 PM
ok.. umm that didnt help much.. so I will change the question around and ask this... Why did you put VTS on your machine?

Ok Jr. they are exactly what VTS stands for "versatile track systems"
So if a guy owns a skid steer and would like to have the advantages of a track loader "like floatation in soft areas and the traction of a true track machine"and yet dont want to buy a true track machine then the VTS are a second option .He then can take the wheels off a regular skid steer and bolt on the VTS and he now has the comparison of a track machine. Also can he do almost the same with his VTS equiped skidsteer as some other guys can with there true track machines.
As mentioned previously in this thread the VTS can be taken off the skid steer and the wheels put on again at anytime the owner wants to.
for example when you want to travel faster with the machine for a job that might take a few days.....just put on the wheels.
Or example you want to sell the skid and yet keep the tracks then its a simple matter again to keep the VTS and bolt the wheels onto the skid steer and sell it if you want to
Hope this info helps to get the message across:walking:

RockSet N' Grade
09-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Junior........I had two choices: either give $8,500 to you for your college fund or buy VTS for my skid. Sorry Junior, VTS won out that go-round :). Resale value for a wheeled skid is higher than a tracked skid. I wanted tracks, made a plan for a skid and what I wanted to do with it and figured the VTS would give me a track system, retain the resale value of my machine and allow me to do tracked work.....best of both worlds was my thinking. The ride is smoother, I can side slope, plenty of push power. I only have 300 plus hours on them, so no long term experience yet....

Junior M
09-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Junior........I had two choices: either give $8,500 to you for your college fund or buy VTS for my skid. Sorry Junior, VTS won out that go-round :). Resale value for a wheeled skid is higher than a tracked skid. I wanted tracks, made a plan for a skid and what I wanted to do with it and figured the VTS would give me a track system, retain the resale value of my machine and allow me to do tracked work.....best of both worlds was my thinking. The ride is smoother, I can side slope, plenty of push power. I only have 300 plus hours on them, so no long term experience yet....
Well first if you wanted to give me 8,500 dollars I need a truck. and now I understand thanks...

bobcatexc
09-15-2008, 08:30 PM
RocksetGrade

How big of a pain in the ass is it to switch back and forth, I know the salesman and articles say rather easy after the first time like a hour, but whats your experience. I've thought about the VTS several times and would say a dedicated track skid would work 80% except for the concrete and asphalt demo jobs which I even cringe with tires in those conditions. But is it worth switching the VTS for a 4-8hr demo?

RockSet N' Grade
09-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Bobcatexc......I am 52, I am basically lazy, I do not have endless energy......In a perfect world in my mind, I thought I would take the time/energy to switch back and forth between tires and tracks. My reality is simply this: I have come to the conclusion I will not and am ok with that. This machine will stay VTS until sales/trade in time. I have a pool demo this next week with the skid and it will have VTS instead of tires.......the trade off for me is I believe the comfort, increased smoothness, ability to feel refreshed after running the skid vs. beat up and increased sales value at the end of the day make it worthwhile for me. I think about changing them, but I have better ways to spend my time and energy.......so that's as far as it has gotten. I read a statistic the other day on equipment: it basically said that 80% of repairs/operating cost are directly related to operator and operator style. I will continue to learn to be smooth, plan my route, take the steps to not abuse my equipment which should lower overhead/repairs. A long winded round about way of saying - I have never removed my VTS and won't unless forced to. Is it worth switching for a demo? Yeppir!! I would do it in a heart beat....I am sold on the idea of track vs. wheel for where I am and what I do.

bobcatexc
09-15-2008, 09:54 PM
RocksetGrade

I know taking the time to switch is worth saving the tracks. Is the hour they claim it takes to switch that easy? I'd probably be like you on small demo jobs by trying to avoid certain situations. On driveway tearouts I usually start from the house and work out having to jump the concrete which would eat away at the tracks and rollers. Just curious how easy to switch if anybody does switch often.

Digdeep
09-16-2008, 12:20 AM
RocksetGrade

I know taking the time to switch is worth saving the tracks. Is the hour they claim it takes to switch that easy? I'd probably be like you on small demo jobs by trying to avoid certain situations. On driveway tearouts I usually start from the house and work out having to jump the concrete which would eat away at the tracks and rollers. Just curious how easy to switch if anybody does switch often.

I don't see guys around here changing them once they put them on. I bet its because of the advantages that tracks offer over tires.