PDA

View Full Version : Put Add a leaf's in the back of my truck

deere615
09-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Well I decided to put in extra leaf on each side in the back of my truck. New Leafs only ran about $40 a piece. I was mad when me and my friend took a part my truck because I had told them I needed 3/8 thick and they only gave me 1/4 thick and I didn't realize it until then. The hardest part was bending the brackets back after the new leaf was added. I still put on the cheapo brackets that they gave me though. It didn't give the truck to much lift, but it I bet it will help alot when hauling loads. Heres a few pics:
Truck before, Its a little hard to tell the difference, I believe it was only about .5"-1" difference
Parts
Before
Before

deere615
09-14-2008, 01:24 AM
More pics:
These were what was a pain bending back
These were the new brackets, I just put these on for extra
with the extra leaf
After, sorry I didn't get a real good after pic

02DURAMAX
09-14-2008, 01:55 AM
That will help A little...Good job!

nosparkplugs
09-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Should have went with Air Bags better ride more weight handling

Gravel Rat
09-14-2008, 02:31 PM
A half ton is just that it doesn't carry weight very well.

You may have spring problems with that add a leaf being thinner and has less spring rate.

I don't like air bags they give you a false sense of load carrying capacity but they would have been easier to do.

deere615
09-14-2008, 08:58 PM
That will help A little...Good job!
Thanks, I would like to get a 3/4 ton soon but I figured this would help some with hauling
Should have went with Air Bags better ride more weight handling
I don't like airbags too much, I did think aout it though.
A half ton is just that it doesn't carry weight very well.

You may have spring problems with that add a leaf being thinner and has less spring rate.

I don't like air bags they give you a false sense of load carrying capacity but they would have been easier to do.

Ya, thats why I wanted an extra leaf. what problems do you think it would cause?

Riley Lawn Service
09-14-2008, 09:03 PM
not bad looks like you did a good job does it make your suspension extremely stiff or is it still about the same my truck is a half ton and i am thinkin about putting some add a leafs so i can get it up to a 3/4 ton.

deere615
09-14-2008, 09:51 PM
not bad looks like you did a good job does it make your suspension extremely stiff or is it still about the same my truck is a half ton and i am thinkin about putting some add a leafs so i can get it up to a 3/4 ton.

It doesn't feel like it affected my ride at all. Are you going to put 1 or 2 in each side?

Gravel Rat
09-15-2008, 03:38 AM
When you have springs with different spring rates you can cause the weaker springs to break. The leaves should be the same thickness and have the same arc and the same spring rate.

Duke9590
09-15-2008, 09:01 AM
You still haven't really tested what kinda load it would haul other than just your trailer. I don't like air-bags. Yea it gives you a smother ride but you get better traction with leaf springs.

Riley Lawn Service
09-15-2008, 04:41 PM
i am not sure yet if i want one or 2 i didn't really think about the idea until i read your thread so i am still looking around do u have any pictures of the install?

Petr51488
09-15-2008, 08:00 PM
i am not sure yet if i want one or 2 i didn't really think about the idea until i read your thread so i am still looking around do u have any pictures of the install?

I had a leaf or two added to my truck. The ride is alot stiffer. If you add 2, and dont have a load in the back you'll be bouncing around everywhere. And if you have 2wd, forget it, the truck looks wierd. High in the back, low in the front. I'de go with 1.

Gravel Rat
09-15-2008, 08:25 PM
If you want heavier springs go with new spring packs that way you have no worries. You can have a set of springs made that you retain the same amount of leafs but you have more carrying capacity.

Thicker the leaves rougher the ride thinner the leaves smoother the ride. You don't want too heavy of a spring pack in a half ton your over sprung for the weight.

If you guys want to haul heavier loads get a 3/4 ton a half ton has a light rear axle that can't take the weight.

treeman574
09-15-2008, 09:06 PM
doesnt matter more leaves or air bags you can still only carry what the sticker on the door pillar says (legally anyway) DOT doesnt care if you have a half ton with one ton suspension in it you can only weigh approx. 5000- 5500 lbs.

nosparkplugs
09-15-2008, 10:10 PM
1/2 ton trucks have a solid axle meaning only the strength of the axle's is what carries the trucks weight. 3/4 ton & up trucks have Free Floating axles, meaning their are bearings at the end of each axle that support the truck weight, not the axles, much better design, and inherintly increases the GVWR over a 1/2 ton.

The FMCSA does allow for modifications on some vehicles, and does honor those new GVWR; however their is paperwork, and inspections that must be done to avoid DOT fines & tickets.

deere615
09-15-2008, 10:20 PM
When you have springs with different spring rates you can cause the weaker springs to break. The leaves should be the same thickness and have the same arc and the same spring rate.
Ah I see, I didn't know that. If it hapens I will put the right one in thanls for the help
You still haven't really tested what kinda load it would haul other than just your trailer. I don't like air-bags. Yea it gives you a smother ride but you get better traction with leaf springs.

Luke:waving: Ya I know I would like to test it out soon:) Hows the truck search going??

deere615
09-15-2008, 10:37 PM
No, I didn;t take to many pics, the easiest thing to do though is leave he spring pack on the truck IMO. You basically just have to take your u bolts off, the bolt for each shock, and you have to put a jack under you axle.
I had a leaf or two added to my truck. The ride is alot stiffer. If you add 2, and dont have a load in the back you'll be bouncing around everywhere. And if you have 2wd, forget it, the truck looks wierd. High in the back, low in the front. I'de go with 1.
My friend put 1 ton springs in his F150 and it didn't affect his ride too bad.
If you want heavier springs go with new spring packs that way you have no worries. You can have a set of springs made that you retain the same amount of leafs but you have more carrying capacity.

Thicker the leaves rougher the ride thinner the leaves smoother the ride. You don't want too heavy of a spring pack in a half ton your over sprung for the weight.

If you guys want to haul heavier loads get a 3/4 ton a half ton has a light rear axle that can't take the weight.
I thought about a new spring pack, but the bolts for the packs were imposible to get out. the mount for my reciever were in the way on both sides and the gas tank is in the way on the driver side.
doesnt matter more leaves or air bags you can still only carry what the sticker on the door pillar says (legally anyway) DOT doesnt care if you have a half ton with one ton suspension in it you can only weigh approx. 5000- 5500 lbs.
True

1/2 ton trucks have a solid axle meaning only the strength of the axle's is what carries the trucks weight. 3/4 ton & up trucks have Free Floating axles, meaning their are bearings at the end of each axle that support the truck weight, not the axles, much better design, and inherintly increases the GVWR over a 1/2 ton.

The FMCSA does allow for modifications on some vehicles, and does honor those new GVWR; however their is paperwork, and inspections that must be done to avoid DOT fines & tickets.

Wow, I didn't know that about the axles

Kennedy Landscaping
12-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Looks good, ever think of timbrens for the front?

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-14-2008, 12:42 AM
I bought a set of these: http://www.supersprings.com/

They work very well!

deere615
12-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Looks good, ever think of timbrens for the front?
yeah, with the plow my truck doesn't drop but 3/4 of an inch, so I might just crank the T-bars a little.
I bought a set of these: http://www.supersprings.com/

They work very well!

I do want to add something else. Because I do so much hauling. I can't really put another leaf in cause I will have to change the factory clamps. But I was looking at this things an auto parts store sells and they are sorta like what you have. But I like yours better. Where did you buy them? Are they Hard to install? Ans I am guessing they hold alot of wait well? Thanks

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-14-2008, 01:03 PM
I bought mine from an RV shop here in town, I think they list places to buy on their website, and they install in basically minutes, super simple.

deere615
12-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Cool thanks, I will probably get those