PDA

View Full Version : College Campus Bid: Take it or leave it?

SuperDuty335
09-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Hey guys. I am interested in bidding a college campus job that has to be bid in two parts and I need a price check. The first part is for tractor work (which I'm interested in) and the second part is for lawn maintenance (I'll sub out). It is an 18 month contract with an option for 36 months. The campus is roughly 30 acres which includes a ton of buildings, parking lots and sidewalks. All the patios, swalks, etc have to be edged every cut. The 3 ponds have to be trimmed every other cut. All the trees, buildings, etc have to be trimmed every cut and of course the lawn areas mowed every time. I'm not into lawn mowing so I don't have any idea what this would cost and I would like to have an idea on cost per cut so I can keep my sub in check. Here are the Google Earth coordinates: 35'59'55.36"W 79'55'01.83"W
Oh, I forgot, everything has to be finished in one day and no mowing after 6pm
Thank you all for your time.
PS If there is an easier way to post the G. Earth image let me know

howierd3866
09-14-2008, 06:11 PM
when you sub to another make sure your price is good just a case your sub backs out later and you are stuck with the small mowing..you will never be able to raise your price to get a replacement company so be careful who you sub to.. good luck on the bid.

SuperDuty335
09-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks H. It makes me nervous, though. We have a mandatory site visit next week.

gobbles2700
09-16-2008, 12:14 AM
I checked out the Google Earth for the site, its hard to delineate what the college campus is versus the surrounding. I want to say jump on it but the crew size you would need to get it done in one day would be large. (Your sub's crew) My biggest concern is there seams to be islands in the parking lots, right there is an item that should be mowed only during off hours. Another issue is it will take longer to mow alot of these areas with all the vehicle/pedestrian traffic. All of this seams to add up to it being to large a job for most contractors to bid. It sounds like they set the specs up for someone like Brickman who can throw 30-40 guys at a job and bang it out in 3-4 hours. If you know someone who you can sub the portion you dont want, go for it, but be careful.

SuperDuty335
09-16-2008, 12:19 AM
If it wasn't limited to 1 day I don't think it would be that difficult. With the time restraint it's a pretty tough job.

gobbles2700
09-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Go to the walk through, it should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect from them overall.