PDA

View Full Version : echo B.P. blower & handheld blower & oil?

terryy
09-14-2008, 01:20 AM
hello all,been awhile since i been here last. i had to re-join cause i forgot my login! LOL, anyways,i got a echo B.P. blower and it is so quiet i love it! my old robin handheld blower is, well....old! and i was just wondering if the echo handheld blower is as quiet as the B.P. blower,its only a 260 and i hardly use it. i was thinking either the stihl or echo handheld blower and which one is the quietus?

P.S. i have been using poulan syn 2 stroke oil for mix and is pretty smokeless though i do get residue running down the outside from the exhaust down on to the tank of my tanaka 230 trimmer and robin blower.i run about a 50:1, i hear i should use dino oil. whats up with that or should i just keep using syn? i don't know who bottles the poulan oil but i'm sure poulan cut a deal with someone to do it.

Oldtimer
09-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Try Opti-2 mixed @ 100:1 and you will never use any other oil.

Oldtimer

TomberLawn
09-14-2008, 09:00 AM
I've got an Echo handheld blower and love it. It's very quiet. When I'm working on a customer's property, I always wear ear and eye protection, but if I need to blow grass off of the mower when I get home, it's quiet enough to use without earplugs and not go deaf. I think it's got a 65db rating. It's pretty powerful, too. Cranks on one pull if you get the choke turned off fast enough.

terryy
09-14-2008, 09:43 PM
do you know what model # and best place to buy and how much it might cost?

TomberLawn
09-14-2008, 10:53 PM
PB-251. I got it for $160 at a local dealer.

Happy Frog
09-17-2008, 12:48 AM
I tried the Poulan Pro synthetic oil and none of my 2 stroke ran good with it.
Amsoil ASE is the best I have found so far...

green monster
09-18-2008, 03:09 AM
The ECHO PB-251 hand held blower is rated at 300 hours (category A) by the EPA. The similar priced Stihl (I think it is $149 or $139) is only a category C (50 hours). The ECHO PB-251 has a 5 Year consumer warranty and a 2 Year commercial warranty. The Stihl warranty is 1 or 2 Year consumer and 90 days (or maybe 1 year) commercial. The ECHO PB-251 has good power for a hand held and a special designed tube that keeps it from vibarating off. For an extra $10 or $20, you will be much happier with the ECHO. You get what you pay for.

green monster
09-18-2008, 03:12 AM
On the oil, always use an oil that is rated at least an FC or FD by JASO. The rating will be on the package. If there is no rating on the package, you have to assume the worst. All the ECHO oil and most of Husqvarna, Jonsered, and Stihl oil have this rating. Poulan, Lawn Boy, ACE Hardware, and many others do not.

terryy
09-18-2008, 09:47 PM
thanks for the input,i will switch to echo oil and probably get the 251 blower i would like to sell my b/p blower, i just do not use it much at all, i think in 3 years maybe a tank of gas a year,i usually dump the fuel in the fall and run it thru my toro 2 cycle snowblower. i have been using the poulan syn oil for a few years now and no problems except some residue running down from the exhaust outlet, i mix it somewhere in the 40-50:1 range and when its gone i will switch oil. the echo 251 sounds like a nice blower,i see the new ones are all red? and the previous models are white? not sure on this,which is the better or harder blowing color?

TomberLawn
09-18-2008, 10:08 PM
The 251 is red/orange and has the highest CFM air flow in the Echo hand held line up. It's got the 25.4 CC Vortex engine.

18lmslcsr
10-14-2008, 01:55 AM
Just purchased this unit as a back up today. Had no clue it was fairly well liked product. Seemed less sturied to the units purchased many season ago.

C.

ed2hess
10-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Try Opti-2 mixed @ 100:1 and you will never use any other oil.

Oldtimer

I don't want to start a war but how can I use a 100:1 when the manufacturer recommends more oil? I use strictly Echo oil but the price has gone up so I am out looking for another option. I can't image putting this oil in our entire equipment line and then having failures and going back to echo and begging them to help, and explain that I used 100:1:confused:

Happy Frog
10-23-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't want to start a war but how can I use a 100:1 when the manufacturer recommends more oil? I use strictly Echo oil but the price has gone up so I am out looking for another option. I can't image putting this oil in our entire equipment line and then having failures and going back to echo and begging them to help, and explain that I used 100:1:confused:

This has been talked about at length before but here is what you need to know to understand the oil mix concept.

Today, most oils need to be mixed at 50:1 to meet the standards they have been approved for.
Older minerals oils had to be mixed at 32:1 to even meet lower standards while newer, fully synthetic oils will meet or exceed the highest standards at a 80:1 or 100:1 ratio (ie: AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Small Engine Oil)

You need to select an oil which meets the requirements of your engine manufacturer (API, JASO, Etc.) and mix that oil at the ratio given on the oil bottle. This ratio is the ratio at which the oil was designed to perform the best and meet or exceed the lubrication standards it has been approved for.

Using a higher oil ratio than the one specified on the bottle may (and often will) result in engine damage or lower performances due to carbon build up and plug fouling.

Genlandscape
10-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Good post !!! Saved me the typing.