PDA

View Full Version : Coming to terms with kiling frogs.

Liquidfast
09-14-2008, 10:46 AM
PLEASE MOVE THIS to the appropriate (if any) forum.

I have always helped the frogs out. I would steer towards them to go in the direction I wanted.

Well, this year I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of them weekly. We had record rainfall that I believe may have led to the problem.

Recently, I just slightly blur my vision and proceed as normal. I feel, if I don't see them, it's not really cruel. Some of these frogs are pretty big which makes me sad.

If it were a cat or dog, squirrel or similar, I of course would halt operations to move them or they move.

It kills me to see them jumping their hearts out. They have to have some intelligence but WHAM! Splat!

This wasn't really an issue until yesterday. I killed a fat frog that was shaped like my mother in law. It even had the same tongue. I kinda enjoyed it. Now I need to make amends.

My son calls me FROG KILLER and loathes me.

Can someone PM me the link to the game frogger.

TIA

Jason Rose
09-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Toads and frogs are rampant here this year too. Wet year. The beggining of the summer they were as thick as flies, now you only see the survivors. I couldn't begin to tell you how many thousands I've accidently killed. I will wait for one to hop out of the way if I see him in time, but often they are hiding and jump right in front of the trimmer or mower. Sometimes I wonder if they aren't actually commiting suicide. Ive seen them literally hop 5 feet in a straight line only to run square into the trimmer line. Like he timed it out or something.

I was thinking of posting this last night, but it's almost too gross, but here goes.
This has happened a few times this year, but this one was the grossest... Was trimming yesterday, hit a frog I didn't see there. He flew up and hit me in the leg, felt like a rock hitting me. I had a slime spot on my jeans where it hit, and blood and guts around that. Driving to the next job, felt something sticky on my arm, more red guts. YUCK!!!

Keith
09-14-2008, 01:02 PM
I know how you feel. I have nearly thrown myself from the mower, sliding to a stop to avoid them. When I'm almost sure that I have hit one, I try to look the other way as I go back by. If I don't see it, it's possible that the little fellow somehow made it through.

09-14-2008, 01:14 PM
I mowed over one and he must of got skinny and grabbed that grass for all he was worth, especially considering the high lift blades and ultra vac on my mower, cause when I came back on the next pass he was still there, just minus one back leg. I felt really bad for him so I smashed him with the wheel.

Liquidfast
09-14-2008, 04:42 PM
I WAS eating when I read the replies. I kinda know now that chicken really can taste like other things...maybe even frogs.

I don't feel guilty as I just read that the Taliban are recruiting frogs for future missions for their lack of fear in the eye of danger.

Just today, I took one out that may have had a leash on it......it was that big. Or maybe it was dog tags???? Or maybe it was a medic alert necklace, anyway, this sucker was H U G E. I couldn't avoid it. I tied it to the hood of my mower, kinda like a trophy but now I have somethin' for the stew later this evenin'.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Don't spend too much time worrying about it.

Just hope you don't hit a big one that throws a belt or something.

nosparkplugs
09-14-2008, 06:16 PM
It's good to see the Toads & Frogs population's growing again. With that said their is nothing we can do to stop the accidental killing & suicide when they "jump" into the weedeat line when they could have stayed put ie(not paniced) & jumped avoiding quick death. I have become numb to this now so many deaths to ponder.

I have noticed the population growth is mainly around building, and retaining walls and that's were I try to avoid killing them. When Im in widea area's or tall grass I seldom see the results; however I do know their are some casualties.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-14-2008, 06:39 PM
I know how you feel. I have nearly thrown myself from the mower, sliding to a stop to avoid them. When I'm almost sure that I have hit one, I try to look the other way as I go back by. If I don't see it, it's possible that the little fellow somehow made it through.

yeah me too, i havnt hit any this year besides one trimming, cought him a little and felt bad. poor buddy didnt make it. He was sitting next to a telephone pole and i couldnt move the trimmer in time.

Ive seen some HUGe ones though, i just watch out just like during bunny season.

Green Finger
09-14-2008, 06:46 PM
I try to avoid them also. But I weedwack one in half. Felt kinda bad.

Ran over a turtle. He closed up just in time. poor joker was soooo scared I put him out of harms way.

Glad I have a Wright:drinkup:

almost wacked a rabbit.

POPO4995
09-14-2008, 06:49 PM
I mowed a field earlier this year with a bush hog and damn, frogs EVERYWHERE! Hundreds upon hundreds. I avoid hitting them, I like them. Snakes are a different story! I aim for them. I'm putting in a decent size pond next year at the house and i'm going to take a few home!:)

ALC-GregH
09-14-2008, 06:54 PM
I hit a dead rat a month or so back. Talk about stink! As I came by on the next pass I about puked. LOL

dlandscaping
09-14-2008, 08:50 PM
The last house I mowed I was trimming and saw a good sized toad along a fence, so I put it into the middle of the yard (mowing all done) and kept trimming. At the end of the fence I hit a snake which would have eaten that toad.

One guy had a dead racoon in his backyard. I think rotting flesh is the worst smell, nothing else comes close.

nosparkplugs
09-14-2008, 09:23 PM
:laugh:The last house I mowed I was trimming and saw a good sized toad along a fence, so I put it into the middle of the yard (mowing all done) and kept trimming. At the end of the fence I hit a snake which would have eaten that toad.

One guy had a dead racoon in his backyard. I think rotting flesh is the worst smell, nothing else comes close.

The Walkers are like kirby vacuums with filtration, so when you run over something dead or stinkly it just intensifies the rotten smells like hot potpourri, a live frog; which smells like fresh fish when chopped up in a Walker GHS system. I don't know whats worse fresh or old dog poo. The best is the "suprise smell", when their is nothing visable in front of you, but you get the worst smell out of the Hopper air vent.

Supertiger
09-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Frogs don't bother me near as bad as when i hit a nest of baby rabbits and the worst part was they where still alive with missing body parts. I quickly ran them over with the tires to end the suffering.

Tim03
09-14-2008, 10:15 PM
:laugh:

The Walkers are like kirby vacuums with filtration, so when you run over something dead or stinkly it just intensifies the rotten smells like hot potpourri, a live frog; which smells like fresh fish when chopped up in a Walker GHS system. I don't know whats worse fresh or old dog poo. The best is the "suprise smell", when their is nothing visable in front of you, but you get the worst smell out of the Hopper air vent.

I shall never own a walker!

milkie62
09-15-2008, 12:40 AM
I usually carry fishing creel on my belt with ice in it.I then time it perfectly so that my mower seperates the legs from the body.That way all I need to do is pick up the legs and throw them in the creel on ice until dinner.

Liquidfast
09-15-2008, 05:54 AM
I usually carry fishing creel on my belt with ice in it.I then time it perfectly so that my mower seperates the legs from the body.That way all I need to do is pick up the legs and throw them in the creel on ice until dinner.

I couldn't wait until dinner. I'd consider it ghetto sushi and go to town.

What I've learned from this thread prior to the closure of it;

Some of us have thick enough skin to justify accidental cruelty to "animails".

Walker equipment was created to make an army of landscapers with an extraordinary sense of smell to lead its future equipment makers for possible SECRET grow op undercover seek and recover missions.

Yeah, thats it.

Damn you Walker!.........can I keep some?:o

Langford2000
09-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Simple - just put gator blades on you mower. Then call it the natural course of the food chain:hammerhead:

LBLC_LCO
09-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Frogs don't bother me near as bad as when i hit a nest of baby rabbits and the worst part was they where still alive with missing
body parts. I quickly ran them over with the tires to end the suffering.

I ran over a nest of baby rabbits last week...definitely not good, I never saw them, did same thing though, death by tire.

Frogs also have been an issue this year for me, but only in one yard. I have not chopped any up, I always seem to run them over with just the tires...poor bastards.

Liquidfast
09-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Simple - just put gator blades on you mower. Then call it the natural course of the food chain:hammerhead:

You are a sick, sick man. :laugh:

02DURAMAX
09-16-2008, 04:05 AM
I have hit a cut some up with teh mower and trimmer!

RedRebel
09-16-2008, 11:51 AM
The funny thing is...right after i read this, I almost hit about 10 of those suckers......

LouisianaLawnboy
08-26-2009, 01:56 AM
I WAS eating when I read the replies. I kinda know now that chicken really can taste like other things...maybe even frogs.

I don't feel guilty as I just read that the Taliban are recruiting frogs for future missions for their lack of fear in the eye of danger.

Just today, I took one out that may have had a leash on it......it was that big. Or maybe it was dog tags???? Or maybe it was a medic alert necklace, anyway, this sucker was H U G E. I couldn't avoid it. I tied it to the hood of my mower, kinda like a trophy but now I have somethin' for the stew later this evenin'.

Frog legs are delicious.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
08-26-2009, 03:25 AM
Just add a notch to the mower's paint on the front side for every kill made with it.

mnglocker
08-26-2009, 03:55 AM
Bull frogs are the best.

Pastaboy62
08-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Last month I mowed over a baby rabbit. That was the first time I have ever ran one over. I got it just on the back legs and it was trying to move. I closed my eyes, and backed the mower over it again...I had to take a breather after that.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-26-2009, 10:34 AM
This PETA type thread needs to take a long, long nap.....
Good. Night.

milo
08-26-2009, 12:05 PM
in my area this year alot of frogs. they are like 1 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inch in size. i dont know what kind they are but this year there are alot.