PDA

View Full Version : 48" ZTR vs. 48" WB

Rodney12
09-14-2008, 01:09 PM
im looking forward to next year and plan to pick up more work. I just run a 36" wb currently cutting .25 to .5 acre residnetial lawns. I plan to stick with residential but want more work and want to be more efficient. Can those with experience comment on the versatility and capability of a wb vs. a ztr. I have spent some time on a ztr but not nearly the experience that i have using a wb. How are ztr's in tight spaces, along mulch beds, around houses, etc....and how do they compare to a wb. A few models I am considering are exmark 48 ztr lazer and exmark 48" viking wb. Thanks again!

mowerbrad
09-14-2008, 03:12 PM
If you are going to be focusing on smaller lawns the wb would be way better. It is much more manuverable than a ztr, especially in tight areas. Ztr's can cover more ground than a wb since they go faster. For me a ztr was a better choice than a walkbehind when I first started because I get a lot of leaves in the fall so doing my clean-ups would be way easier using a ztr with a collection system on it.

I would suggest that you get a wb but if you are going to be changing the cutting height often I would spend an extra few hundred dollars and get the Turf Tracer HP 48". It has a floating deck so changing the cutting height will be way easier.

dura to the max
09-14-2008, 03:48 PM
i would prefer a ztr on small lawns. they seem to back out of corners better, minimizing trim time... even against a hydro wb

Icepuck72
09-14-2008, 03:58 PM
hydro walk behind for sure if you're just doing residential lawns. better on ditches, more maneuverable.

Rodney12
09-14-2008, 04:05 PM
do you feel like you loose versatility going from a hydro 48 to 52 wb?

Dura to the max,
What size ztr do you typically run on small resid. yards?

lawnprosteveo
09-14-2008, 04:22 PM
All of my lawns are in the 1/4 to 1/2 acre size. But alot of streets have 3 to 5 of these lined up. I have used a 36 wb and a 48 wb (both gear drive) to mow these. I have also used a 52" mid mount ZTR. The wb's werent enough mower for a solo guy. The Z was almost overkill...I now mow with a Deere Quik Trak (stander type ZTR). It is a 48" mower and is perfect for small lawns. You can get in and out of really tight spots...youre not walking all day...its just the best type set up IMO.

Rodney12
09-14-2008, 06:36 PM
thanks for the replies, there are a couple of used 48 and 52 wb's in my area that i am going to check out. im hoping to catch a late season deal, i may even hold off until winter to buy. im looking used so there are quite a few options in my area (some are higher hour mowers) so I want to take my time and thoroughly look at them

delphied
09-14-2008, 07:12 PM
I have a 66 Zturn for big and a 48 WB for small and ditches, hills. I have a Proslide on the Hydro WB but a Stander would be better than that set up except for the hills and ditches. I have driven the Wrights and they are about the most manueverable mower as well as the fact that you ride (faster and easier). I drove a Great Dane stand on and liked it but not as much as the Wright. Not trying to start anything, its just MHO.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
09-14-2008, 10:24 PM
I'd highly reccomend you demo some standers ,if most of your property's are 1/4-1/2 acres a stander is the way to go. Weve used W.B's when we 1st started out and they worked till the accounts grew.We needed to pick up on productivity and the WB.'S werent getting it done even with Sulky's ,not to mention the fatigue that came come from all day operation. The Standers increse in production was around 30% ,not to mention ease of operation and no fatigue. You take one out ,you'll never go back to a WB.

Tadams
09-14-2008, 11:18 PM
If you have a 36" exmark WB I would consider a 52" Lazer. The reason being is that they both use the exact same blade. 2 for the 36" and 3 for the 52". Stay with the Lazer HP over the full size Lazer because the HP has more trim side than the full size. We run 2 60" Lazers, a 48" wb, and we just got a 36" wb for gated yards. Some people might say that you need big yards for a 60" mower but we will put those on any yard that we think it cut it and leave it looking good.

S man
09-14-2008, 11:26 PM
i would prefer a ztr on small lawns. they seem to back out of corners better, minimizing trim time... even against a hydro wb

Agreed. I have two riders 34, and 46 and both work good on small residential lawns.

Rodney12
09-15-2008, 10:44 AM
there are a couple of nice mowers at good prices around me. I will keep my 36" to compliment a bigger mower. I am looking at a 2004 exmark 52" turf tracer( pretty clean but has 1500 hrs) and exmark 2005 48" lazer (1100 hours). Both mowers look and run great for the amount of hours they have. what would you pay for either? its tough to gauge what used mwoers are selling for on ebay, craigslist, etc...prices seem to be all over the place.