PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going solo

joslawn33
09-14-2008, 07:45 PM
I was wondering what would be a good yearly gross for a solo operator.With help one guy im doing 60,000 plus a year depending on accts and wheater of course im in ky western part and money is really tighten down.My problem is with help cant find none i hate baby sittin grown men pick them up take home etc etc makes me sick one guy quit today cause i told him he needed to cut his hair been with me a month and friday first time he combed it cause i got on him he is 40 years old he told me today if i didnt like it he quit i told him to kick rocks.

Icepuck72
09-14-2008, 07:49 PM
That was hard to read.

cgll1135
09-14-2008, 07:54 PM
I wold guess about two thirds of what you are currently doing.

billslawn89
09-14-2008, 09:14 PM
That was hard to read.

ya really, i had to read it twice to try and understand what he was saying! :dizzy:

joslawn33
09-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Whats hard to understand about it?

gene gls
09-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Your gross depends on the dollar value in your area and your ambition level. The bad part of being solo is that you have to do all the work. The good part is you only have to listen to crap from a few customers.

Supertiger
09-14-2008, 09:46 PM
one man should be able to make at least 200.00+ day if the weather permits. Unless you have badly under priced your yards.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-14-2008, 09:46 PM
I was wondering what would be a good yearly gross for a solo operator.With help one guy im doing 60,000 plus a year depending on accts and wheater of course im in ky western part and money is really tighten down.My problem is with help cant find none i hate baby sittin grown men pick them up take home etc etc makes me sick one guy quit today cause i told him he needed to cut his hair been with me a month and friday first time he combed it cause i got on him he is 40 years old he told me today if i didnt like it he quit i told him to kick rocks.

I know what you mean. I too am probably about to go solo and fire my helper. I needed him to help me again on a job the other day and he backed out last minute, again. And I had a talk with him and it was even in writing what I expected out of him and it worked for about a day and then back to the old ways. I told him when I had the talk with him this is your last warning, next time you screw up your gone.......he screwed up

joslawn33
09-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Im glad to see im not by myself when it comes to this I try hard to be a good employer but im sick of trying I started this off on a bicycle and a push mower in the early nineties between tha age of 19 and 21 and built myself to what i got now and i still got that desire but cant fine no one with a desire they want something for nothing im not the one.

doubleedge
09-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Whats hard to understand about it?

There is a thing called grammer. Your post doesnt have it.

midlandlawncare
09-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Grammar.:waving:

joslawn33
09-15-2008, 09:31 PM
This is the kind of stuff im talking about im talking about. Ive posted a thread to get some replys to get some feed back not to get graded on my grammer.

joslawn33
09-15-2008, 09:35 PM
This is the kind of stuff im talking about im talking about. Ive posted a thread to get some replys not to get graded on my grammer.

touhey33
09-15-2008, 10:18 PM
IM solo and make close to 50,000. Its not bad money when you consider I don't work close to 5 months out of the year. Also I got what you were trying to say out of your post, this is a site where people are supposed to help each other not bash each other.

afralich
09-15-2008, 10:21 PM
I have had 5 White americans 2 Mexicans and no luck. I am easy going and hard working. All i want is someone who tries and takes a little pride in there work. Just hired my last white guy if he doesnt work I guess I will go alone Good luck.

siclmn
09-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Why do some of you even take the time to post that the guy has bad grammar? You are criticizing how he says something, not what he is saying. I can understand what he is saying no problem. Do you guys now feel superior?

S&K Outdoor
09-15-2008, 10:36 PM
what kind of money would it take to get GOOD help, maybe you guys need to give some more $$$, just a thought

tilawn
09-15-2008, 10:39 PM
what kind of money would it take to get GOOD help, maybe you guys need to give some more $$$, just a thought

how much are you paying your help? just wondering

KatKutter
09-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Truth is, nobody is really going to take an interest in the work like the owner. To most its just a job and a check. If you honestly expect out of them, what you or I would do. Well your gonna be disappointed. I try to find people that need to work first and foremost. Seems they will hang in there longer. Also I start them out on as low a dollar figure as they will settle for, then bump them up on a scheduel if they try. Some have lasted a day, others have lasted a few years and gotten to the point they made a good living. A proud employee reflects a professional company. Thats what I strive for, and will pay them well when pride in there job becomes apparent.

S&K Outdoor
09-15-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm not, YET, dont have enough accounts for mowing yet, but when I have help on mulch jobs in spring, I pay 12-15 once I know my help does it the way I want it done, might be more than alot of guys would pay, but it's worth it to me to pay more so I dont have to babysit. pretty good $ for high school kids, hopefully I will have full time help by this time next yr

Liquidfast
09-15-2008, 11:21 PM
This is the kind of stuff im talking about im talking about. Ive posted a thread to get some replys not to get graded on my grammer.

Not just grammar, it's the spelling also. grammar replies and you missed the ' in I've and I'm. You also didn't capitalize the I in I'm.

The correct sentence should read: This is exactly what I dislike. I posted a thread to obtain information pertaining to my business and in return, I am being judged on improper grammar, run off sentences and my inability to use punctuation when it is absolutely necessary.

I'm just kidding. I couldn't resist.

I too would knock someone on their appearance but since you said hair, you have to ask yourself......was it like that when you hired him?

If so, you should not have hired him and if you did say something in the beginning, then good for you.

I personally don't like scrubs.

S&K Outdoor
09-15-2008, 11:36 PM
I guess I look at things different, I'm gonna find someone who I either know or someone refers to me, if their gonna run my equipment, and sometimes drive my truck, I'm now sure I want someone who will settle for the lowest $$, I will try them out, I think it is evident pretty soon if their gonna do a good job. Starting at a higher $$, in my opinion, will get a better worker to begin with, thats why I pay more on mulch jobs. Kind of like the saying about a $40 helmet for a $40 head, pay someone $8, gonna get $8 work. imho

twotone
09-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey Liquid, I can see you on your skateboard hanging onto a passing vehicle, all that fine eqpt. in tow, to get to your next job. LMAO

Jo, one thing for sure. Go solo and you'll be weeding out any loser accounts pronto ! It seems like we hang on to everything we can to cover overhead which is not often a good thing. Sometimes a fresh start means rethinking your whole operation from eqpt., to services offered, to scheduling, and that can be a real benefit.

Good luck with whatever you decide !

supercuts
09-16-2008, 12:49 PM
This is the kind of stuff im talking about im talking about. Ive posted a thread to get some replys to get some feed back not to get graded on my grammer.

i think there can be a direct connection between gross numbers and grammer. if you come across as uneducated to customers as you did in that post, i wouldnt hire you. thus, a reduction of gross income.

i do agree with you though, as far as going solo, guys taking about $200/day?? i can do $100/hr solo. you said your area is in hard times though... luckily mine isnt too bad. hope that helps

Weedas_Lawn_Care
09-16-2008, 05:48 PM
everyone needs to shut the f*** up about his grammer and spelling he is trying to talk not have a lesson everyone on here uses slang and who cares about capitalization and being proper (im i wow)

theWRIGHTcut
09-16-2008, 06:23 PM
That was hard to read.

:laugh:

hmmm, i wonder the same thing... because although i don't have as much help as i used to, i really don't feel like i'm working on my own...

i would really like to be a solo operation and make good money but it seems sort of challenging by first thought.... i wish i could answer this because i'm wondering the same thing

lawnprosteveo
09-16-2008, 07:47 PM
I was wondering what would be a good yearly gross for a solo operator.With help one guy im doing 60,000 plus a year depending on accts and wheater of course im in ky western part and money is really tighten down.My problem is with help cant find none i hate baby sittin grown men pick them up take home etc etc makes me sick one guy quit today cause i told him he needed to cut his hair been with me a month and friday first time he combed it cause i got on him he is 40 years old he told me today if i didnt like it he quit i told him to kick rocks.I work alone and I gross about 80% of what you do...but I only work 3 days per week. You can do well solo but you have to pay alot of attention to effeciency. Plus you'll be much more tired.
Overall, I like working alone better. It has virtually eliminated customer complaints. The work is always to my liking. And I dont have the aggravation of a bad employee.

lawnguyland
09-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Here's the deal- go solo.

Next, do try to use better punctuation and such- a few periods here and there helps us all read the posts more easily and respond to you, plus it makes you sound more professional. You don't have to be perfect, just a little more effort would be good enough.

Last- you guys were right about the grammar , but don't be dillweeds. Dillweeds grow in Kentucky.

gene gls
09-16-2008, 08:46 PM

It has more to do with work ethics than dollar value. As the dollar value increases so does the job requirements. Employers automaticly expect an employee to have and display a higher level of ethics and interest in the job and business as the wage increases. The turn over in labor is more related to employees looking for the fattest check for the least work. You can read many posts on L/S that say employees start out good and gradually go down hill. Some it may take a couple weeks, others a couple years. It doesn't matter what business owner you talk with, we all have the same problem, employee turn over.

S&K Outdoor
09-16-2008, 11:13 PM
but would you agree that if you start at a higher rate of pay, and give raises if waranted you'll get a better quality employee to start with. I know the employee isn't going to do same quality as the owner but wouldn't you get a better group of potential employees to pull from if you pay $13 per hour than $8. I've not had employees full time so this is for my info too

gene gls
09-16-2008, 11:36 PM
but would you agree that if you start at a higher rate of pay, and give raises if waranted you'll get a better quality employee to start with. I know the employee isn't going to do same quality as the owner but wouldn't you get a better group of potential employees to pull from if you pay $13 per hour than $8. I've not had employees full time so this is for my info too

A higher payscale incourages more applacants to apply for work. You end up with a larger selection of man power to chose from. You can't expect much for an $ 8.00 payscale. My starting rate was $ 12.00 with no experance. My lead man after 4 years was at $ 16.00 per hour + cell phone+ truck with gas+ use of equipment for family members, and he wanted more.

davis45
09-17-2008, 12:01 AM
I just dont get it when people say they want to go back to solo to get 'more money in their pocket'. Honestly, if your not making that much more while having an employee or two, your doing something wrong. Also, what do you want to accomplish? Mowing lawns, alone, untill you retire? IF you can retire on that small amount of money. I'm in NO WAY trying to get people angry or start an argument, just trying to understand everything.

railman
09-17-2008, 07:34 AM
I say go solo. I guess im one of the lucky ones that have a 15 year old son that helps me when I get backed up because of the weather. I have 40 plus accounts and it is a part time for me and 99% solo. granted I have to cut almost everyday to keep up. I love being solo cause I make more money.

gene gls
09-17-2008, 08:39 AM
I just dont get it when people say they want to go back to solo to get 'more money in their pocket'. Honestly, if your not making that much more while having an employee or two, your doing something wrong. Also, what do you want to accomplish? Mowing lawns, alone, untill you retire? IF you can retire on that small amount of money. I'm in NO WAY trying to get people angry or start an argument, just trying to understand everything.

Let me try to explain this for you. Most new business owners don't know jack squat about what they should do, how they should do it or what they should charge. Just read the posts on L/S, basic questions are asked all the time. As you get your feet wet in this business, or any business, you find out the costs of day to day business gets more expensive as you grow your business. You need to hire 1 employee to help cover added growth. That means your Liliability Ins. increases, you need Workers Comp, your employee needs to be added to your truck ins policy and " if " they have a bad record you are charged extra. After hireing 1 worker you will find that now you need to hire a second worker because the first doesen't always want to work every day and your work load is growing because you have to expand your business to cover the new employee's. This is a cycle that repeats its self every time a new employee is hired. Most employee's don't care about your equipment or business. This means you need a bunch of extra equipment for your daily opperations to meet your growing demand. The cost of extra equipment and the repair of damaged equipment is stagering. You will find that being a mechanic, parts chaser, and equipment hauler is very time comsuming whitch takes away from manageing your daily business. You become a baby sitter for your employees. Its a vicious circle that gets very tireing fast and is very costly. There is very little profit in mowing. Mowing gets your foot in the door for the extra higher priced services. Some companies use mowing as a loss leader just to get customers, others use fertilizer.