PDA

View Full Version : How many hours do you guys get out of a mower?

ericmcj31
09-14-2008, 09:02 PM
The title says it all--How many hours do you get out of a commercial mower (ZTR) before you sell/dump/trade it in?? Is it gas/diesel?? Is it worth it to you guys to spend the extra $$$ for the diesel engine?? FYI I typically sell mine every two years. The last one I had I sold when it was two years and one day old. Main reason: Warranty! I got really burned on my previous mower (2 mowers ago). I had to replace the engine (Kawasaki), and BOTH hydralic pumps!! Luckily the engine went out a month out of warranty and they (Kawasaki) replaced it and I just paid for labor to install it. But the pumps costed me a pretty nickel! Just wondering what you guys do-do you run them into the ground until the tires fall off? or trade/sell them every certain amount of time?

billslawn89
09-14-2008, 09:08 PM
i have a scag turf tiger kawi 22 hp gas with 2163 hours on it and its running strong! i do maintenance on them regularly and just had to replace one hydro and replace the spindle bearings this year... just common maintenance , change oil monthly, grease weekly, keep it clean and it look new!

DuallyVette
09-14-2008, 09:15 PM
I have a couple of Great Dane origional surfers. They're 10/11 years old. They have no hour meters. I just put new motors on them ($1250 each). I've replaced one hydro pump, smoked a couple of spindles, and several pto's & idlers. Just regular wear & tear stuff. I also don't have time to go in for warranty work. I can fix it quicker than I can drop it off. I keep plenty of parts in stock. I like shiny new stuff too...but it'll be somewhat dirty within a few weeks anyway.

LushGreenLawn
09-14-2008, 09:56 PM
I see mowers at auctions all the time from contractors that have 2500-3500 hours on. It seems like they have under 100 hours on them (Guys going out of business) or mowers approaching 3000+, not much in between. I go to these things all the time.

Lehighlawnpros
09-16-2008, 03:18 PM
We just turned 7,000 hours on our Grasshopper 725
with Kubota WG-750 liquid-cooled gas engine.

Ten years in service, still runs and mows like new.

I've replaced the hydros and such, but never any engine
or spindle problems.

It's now serving in the backup role as we've recently acquired a Grasshopper 722D with Kubota diesel engine,
and 1200 hours currently.

The nice thing about the diesel is that over the course
of it's service life it should actually pay for itself in fuel savings. (averaging .6 GPH currently compared to about
1 GPH on the 725 gas)

Bob
Lehighlawnpros

CrystalCreek
09-16-2008, 03:37 PM
8600 hours on a 20hp walker. One engine at 4300 hours. A bunch of starters, plenty of flats, and enough old oil to float a boat. I LOVE MY WALKER!!!!

Lawn-Sharks
09-16-2008, 03:46 PM
2670Hrs on my 52" Snapper pro ZTR w/21hp Kawaski (Original hours & runs like new)

ericmcj31
09-16-2008, 05:28 PM
So would you say it's a waste if I am selling mine every two years?? (Just to stay in warranty)?? Keep in mind-it only costs me about $1500 for two years of service. (Buy low priced demo, and sell high).

Richard Martin
09-16-2008, 07:32 PM
My first Dixie was at about 1300 hours when an excellant deal on a 27 hour EFI Dixie presented it self. I've never run more than that many hours on any mower but I have a Stihl edger that may be approaching that number.

Charles
09-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Over 2600 hours on a 23 kohler. Over 2000 hours on a 22.5 hp 4 cylinder diesel. Both still run like new and are garage kept

David Gretzmier
09-16-2008, 09:23 PM
The 1000-2000 hour range is way too big. I would say most trade at 1500 hours or so. 1100 hours on most rigs is still a pretty reliable mower.

cowboytim
09-16-2008, 10:17 PM
3100 3300 hrs on to kawas wright standers do preventive maintenance they will go forever. Have a toro 60" zero turn with 2800 kohler. Take care of them and they will take care of you

keith455
09-18-2008, 12:26 AM
2670Hrs on my 52" Snapper pro ZTR w/21hp Kawaski (Original hours & runs like new)

Cool.. someone else with the same mower that we have. Only problems i've had are flat tires.

davis45
09-18-2008, 12:35 AM
I have sold off on all of mine before I hit 1,000. But, our 25/60 Super Z has 998.8 on it right now, I'll keep it for another year or two since I have had no problems what-so-ever.

Lawn-Sharks
09-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Cool.. someone else with the same mower that we have. Only problems i've had are flat tires.

For the flat tires i keep a plug kit in the truck and Green Slime! That stuff work great.

J&R Landscaping
09-18-2008, 11:40 AM
My father and I used to have a 52" Bobcat ztr. The machine ha 3400 ++ hours on a working meter when we sold it. The original engine ran it for another 500 hours before it died. That 22hp kohler sure cut its fair share of grass!

keith455
09-18-2008, 12:03 PM
yeah. i put Green Slime in the front and plugged the rears a bunch of times. I'll be putting slime in the rears if they get another hole in them.

bigjeeping
09-18-2008, 12:17 PM
So would you say it's a waste if I am selling mine every two years?? (Just to stay in warranty)?? Keep in mind-it only costs me about $1500 for two years of service. (Buy low priced demo, and sell high).

You are NOT wasting your time.. you are doing yourself a favor!

If you buy a demo that is a year old, and maybe 75 hours (like I did last spring), you save a BUNCH. I think I saved $2,000 off the shelf price.

Example (my situation): $10,000 mower with 75 hours, you get it for $8,000 with the original 2 year warranty.

This summer (one year after buying it) both hydros went out... $3000 to repair. Lucky me it was under warranty.

Next spring I can sell this same mower for $5-6000. I have kept it in great shape.. and we even wirebrush down the rust on them and touch up the paint from time to time. With a good scrub, wash and wax.. it will look brand new when I go to sell it.

So you pay $8,000 for it, you get about $3,000 in FREE warranty work if the hydros go, which are the most likely in high-cost parts to go on you. Plus I have had at least another $1,000 in warranty work between the parts and labor for minor things......... Then you sell it with a residual value of $5,000 (assuming you keep it in great shape).

You are basically making money on the transcation, plus how much cash is this machine making you over the 2 years you ran it???????????

QualityLawnCare4u
09-18-2008, 05:52 PM
As you can see there is a wide range of opinions here. I will say that if you own a deere (for me anyway) no matter how good care you take of it you better dump it around 500 hours or it will self destruct.

brucec32
09-21-2008, 12:04 AM
I prefer turning them over frequently enough that the mower is not new but I have had most of the trouble-free use out of it. I sell them while still running great and needing nothing so they bring top dollar and my conscience is clear that the new owner will have no problems for a while. Repairs/downtime are too expensive to deal with the nagging problems of an older mower.

ericmcj31
09-21-2008, 01:32 PM
You are NOT wasting your time.. you are doing yourself a favor!

If you buy a demo that is a year old, and maybe 75 hours (like I did last spring), you save a BUNCH. I think I saved $2,000 off the shelf price.

Example (my situation): $10,000 mower with 75 hours, you get it for $8,000 with the original 2 year warranty.

This summer (one year after buying it) both hydros went out... $3000 to repair. Lucky me it was under warranty.

Next spring I can sell this same mower for $5-6000. I have kept it in great shape.. and we even wirebrush down the rust on them and touch up the paint from time to time. With a good scrub, wash and wax.. it will look brand new when I go to sell it.

So you pay $8,000 for it, you get about $3,000 in FREE warranty work if the hydros go, which are the most likely in high-cost parts to go on you. Plus I have had at least another $1,000 in warranty work between the parts and labor for minor things......... Then you sell it with a residual value of $5,000 (assuming you keep it in great shape).

You are basically making money on the transcation, plus how much cash is this machine making you over the 2 years you ran it???????????

Yeah-the last mower I bought goes for 9600; I bought a demo (with 32 hours) for 8100; (with a complete 2-year warranty). My dealer said I shouldbe able to get around 7 for it next season(it will be 2 years old then). I figured if I get around 7 for it, then I used it for 2 years for around a grand. I have had no problems other than the gas gauge doesn't work on one of the tanks.

BlackCloudDiesel
09-21-2008, 04:21 PM
I have 2 old diesel Walkers that I use as backups.... bought them both new back in 1992. I think that one is just about 5,000hrs and I know the 2nd one is well over 6,000. Had the engine rebuilt on the 2nd one about 2 or 3 years ago. I've since switched to the 26HP Kohler EFI's. My personal mower that I use to cut with I keep until I hit 1,000 hours, it then gets phased into my "business". That just means my employees cut with it and I get a new one.

PROCUT1
09-21-2008, 04:48 PM
When you think about it. Figuring 1000 hours a year, its pretty crappy that most of these machines dont last but 2 years before engine problems.

TJLANDS
09-21-2008, 04:54 PM
We just turned 7,000 hours on our Grasshopper 725
with Kubota WG-750 liquid-cooled gas engine.

Ten years in service, still runs and mows like new.

I've replaced the hydros and such, but never any engine
or spindle problems.

It's now serving in the backup role as we've recently acquired a Grasshopper 722D with Kubota diesel engine,
and 1200 hours currently.

The nice thing about the diesel is that over the course
of it's service life it should actually pay for itself in fuel savings. (averaging .6 GPH currently compared to about
1 GPH on the 725 gas)

Bob
Lehighlawnpros

What does the deck look like after 7K hours, or is it not original

nosparkplugs
09-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Hour meter's are a joke, and next to service interval tracking should be unusable for the resale value of a mower. The hour meter is the owners worst enemy, and potenial buyers best friend. I have seen ZTR's with less than 700hrs that were POS, and mowers with over 2,500hours that looked new, and were worked hard. So either keep it until the frame rusts out. I have never been privledged enough to have a large peice of equipment payed off in 2 years or less. So unless these folks selling every two years have the ZTR paid off, I am assuming your carrying over a balance, makes no sense to me.

Lehighlawnpros
09-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Good point regarding the deck on my 7,000 hour Grasshopper 725.

I did swap decks in Sept. 2003, switching from a standard
52" to a 52" that flips up for easier servicing.

So the 52" that's on it now has 5 years and 4,000 hours.

It's basically as good as new, I scrape them clean every day to reduce corrosion and occasionaly sand and prime any areas that begin to rust.

These decks are really well constructed.

I give the spindles one pump of standard multi-purpose lithium grease every day and have never had a spindle failure in over 15,000 combined hours on our three
Grasshopper outfronts.

I also keep all of our machines under roof when not working which helps with the longevity.

Bob
Lehighlawnpros