PDA

View Full Version : Will this plan work?

NoSchwag
09-14-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm in Ct and have a horrible lawn. There are too many types of weeds to name from course fescue, to clovers, to ivy. My original plan was to dethatch really well, then rent a slit seeder to put new seed down, try to choke the weeks out and use a pre emergence next year.

Instead I'm thinkng about using roundup on the entire lawn, using a power rake to get all the grass up, then use a slit seeder. Follow it up with a pre emergence next year. My lawn is growing like crazy and we just had many in. of water over the last week, I figure now is the perfect time to roundup.

I have a bunch of questions..

How long after the roundup should I wait to plant grass?

Should I wait for germination of new grass/weeds and roundup again?

Is it getting too late this year to do it?

How is Lesco Brand Double eagle supreme for my area?

Can I use a slit seeder if the ground is wet?

Thank you very much for the help.

gene gls
09-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Step #1, cut grass real short and vac up cut grass.
#2, apply Round up
#3, 7 days later go over the area with a dethatcher and remove debris that is loosened with the dethatcher.
#4, run areater over area real good.
#5, I over seed with a circle sperader and run thatcher over the area again to brake up pulgs and mix seed into soil. I have not had very good results with a "slit seeder"

Use a good quality seed blend for the area that you have. If you have a lot of shade use a shade blend. If you have a good sun area then use a Rye- Bluegrass mix. Lesco has a good varity of mixes. Make sure the blend is Perennial. Kentucky Bluegrass requires more attention than a Rye grass lawn.

richallseasons
09-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Do you understand that roundup is going to kill everything? if so why would you plant new seed only to use roundup after it germinates? have you been getting advice at home depot?

NoSchwag
09-15-2008, 12:32 AM
lol.

I'm saying after the roundup wait a week for anything else that might germinate. THEN plant the grass. Should I wait a week to see if anything new pops up?

So I could conceivably have seed in the ground by next week.

gene gls
09-15-2008, 12:36 AM
Also add lime and fert if your area needs it at time of seeding.

NoSchwag
09-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Thanks gene. I ended up with the lesco park & athletic mix. Lime hasn't been added to this lawn in probably 15 years.