PDA

View Full Version : when a CDL will burn you...

Dirt Digger2
09-14-2008, 09:50 PM
well i got pulled over today...70 in a 55. The cop was a bit of a dick...asked for my license/registration said i was speeding and thats it..didn't ask for my story or anything, went back to his car wrote the ticket and handed it back to me

first violation...my drivers record has been crystal clean up to today...i was in upstate new york so maybe he figured i am out of state and would never come back to fight it in court..i dont know

now...normally PA won't count points against you that are received in other states...such as going 15 over in NY is 4 points, but they wouldn't go onto my license because I am from PA...BUT since i have a CDL they will. Even though i was driving a Jeep since i have a CDL i will now have 4 points on my license when the thing goes through court...

the worst part about it is i have an interview tuesday with a local township to drive plow truck for them this winter...so now i have to fess up to the fact that yes, when i applied my record was clean...but come next week it probably wont be

christ i am pissed...sorry for the rant...but that cop really steamed me off

NateV
09-14-2008, 09:57 PM
sucks to hear that man. im trying to get on as a temp with penndot here this winter so i need to start watching my speed now too.

Dirt Digger2
09-14-2008, 10:15 PM
NateV if you get pulled over in PA then you would get points regardless whether you have a CDL or not because your license is in PA...however i think if you get pulled over in PA, especially with a CDL, you might be more able to get out of the ticket in court, or even walk away with a warning

what just really ticked me off was the fact he grabbed my papers and went right back to his car...no small talk or anything...

on top of that he got me going the other way, i was heading south bound and he was driving north bound with his radar on..i passed him and he whipped around and pulled me over...Troopers can't do that in PA, so that caught me off guard too

YellowDogSVC
09-14-2008, 10:31 PM
well i got pulled over today...70 in a 55. The cop was a bit of a dick...asked for my license/registration said i was speeding and thats it..didn't ask for my story or anything, went back to his car wrote the ticket and handed it back to me

first violation...my drivers record has been crystal clean up to today...i was in upstate new york so maybe he figured i am out of state and would never come back to fight it in court..i dont know

now...normally PA won't count points against you that are received in other states...such as going 15 over in NY is 4 points, but they wouldn't go onto my license because I am from PA...BUT since i have a CDL they will. Even though i was driving a Jeep since i have a CDL i will now have 4 points on my license when the thing goes through court...

the worst part about it is i have an interview tuesday with a local township to drive plow truck for them this winter...so now i have to fess up to the fact that yes, when i applied my record was clean...but come next week it probably wont be

christ i am pissed...sorry for the rant...but that cop really steamed me off

I would get a lawyer and fight it in NY. If it is going to affect employment, then it would be worth it.
Another reason I try to stay under CDL.

ccstrebe
09-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Sorry to hear about that, what a way to end your weekend.

Dirt Digger2
09-14-2008, 10:53 PM
theres nothing really to fight...i am a true believer if you "F up" then you should pay..and i was caught speeding and i should pay...i am not worried about the fine..so be it...i guess what i am really aggravated at was the fact he didn't give me a warning and i never really had to opportunity to ask for a warning. The only "employment" it will affect will be this part time job, when i graduate i wont need my CDL until i go out on my own, and by then the points will be gone.......

its just one of those things...i have a CDL, i went though a lot of trouble to get it, and i have proven then i am probably one of the "better" drivers out on the road...so for that i get punished more? its pretty screwed up i think

bobcat_ron
09-14-2008, 11:02 PM
"Life is worth it, slow down."...................those types of bumper stickers make me flip off the driver as I roar past them.

Junior M
09-15-2008, 02:09 PM
"Life is worth it, slow down."...................those types of bumper stickers make me flip off the driver as I roar past them.
:laugh: :laugh:

I got yelled at in class for laughing at that comment!!

carlriv
09-15-2008, 02:43 PM
If you think the ticket will impact your getting the job in any way I would send it in to dispute, have your interview, and then before your court date change your mind and pay the fine.... That way you can legitamatly say that your record is clean.... Innocent until proven guilty if you will. Perhaps not completley honest but certainly reasonable.

44DCNF
09-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Can you ask for court supervision in your state or the state written in? The only time I used it was prior to licenses going to CDL so I don't know if it would apply now. I would think so since you were in your personal vehicle. They put you on a probationary period. You pay the fine and court costs but the offense is not kept on your record if you don't receive any more violations in the probation period.

Hollowellreid
09-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Don't even "fight" it so to speak.

I had a similar ticket last fall.

Went and spoke to the court magistrate or whatever it's called, simply told him my story and why I didn't want to have 3-4 points on my CDL.

He lowered it to 1 point (5 over on the freeway or something along those lines)

No arguing, no court, no lawyer. Just politely asking the guy did the job.

All they want is the money anyways, let's be honest.

Dirt Digger2
09-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Don't even "fight" it so to speak.

I had a similar ticket last fall.

Went and spoke to the court magistrate or whatever it's called, simply told him my story and why I didn't want to have 3-4 points on my CDL.

He lowered it to 1 point (5 over on the freeway or something along those lines)

No arguing, no court, no lawyer. Just politely asking the guy did the job.

All they want is the money anyways, let's be honest.

the problem is the court is 5 hours from where i am now...i guess i could call the court and try and talk to the judge, but they way i look at it it would cost me $200 to drive up and back in fuel and court costs...etc... wouldn't be worth it to go back...

Dirt Digger2
09-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Hollowellreid i really appreciate the advice, i hadn't thought about that...i just went online and found the name and number of the judge that would have tried me so i will call her tomorrow...like i said i will pay the fine, no big deal...but points will kill me

tbi
09-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Request a written supporting deposition from the court. If the trooper fails to provide one you can ask that the charges be dropped and they will drop them due the fact the trooper failed to provide the supporting written deposition.

If he does provide it have your attorney contact the local DA and plead it down. It's not about the points it's about the money. They will work out a deal for sure if your license is clean.

coopers
09-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Sure seems like a lot of work for a speeding ticket...I'm not familiar with the point system since we don't use that here....how long do these points last on your record? East coast law is very odd compared to here sometimes.

RockSet N' Grade
09-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Simple fact. Having a CDL you are now in the eyes of the law " a professional driver ". You are now held to a higher standard whether in a Hyundai or running a land-train. The $200 show up fee in front of the judge to get it knocked down to 1 point or so is worth the trip in the long run. Call, may work........showing up will be the best. Take the time to do the uncomfortable and inconvenient ( going up there )........those points are bad and stay on the record for longer than you will remember this incident.

Dirt Digger2
09-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Sure seems like a lot of work for a speeding ticket...I'm not familiar with the point system since we don't use that here....how long do these points last on your record? East coast law is very odd compared to here sometimes.

every year (12 months) you go without getting more points 3 points get knocked off...so essentially if i get 4 points it will take me 2 years to loose all of them assuming i do not rack up any more points in those 2 years

coopers
09-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Huh, that's interesting. So after so many you get your licensed suspended? You can speed as much as you want and the only way you'll get your license suspended via speeding is failure to appear-unpaid tickets. That sucks if speeding in your case can result in something like that. I'd hate that. I don't speed though (well not that much :) )but still, it would suck in general.

Dirt Digger2
09-17-2008, 07:29 AM
Coopers maybe this will explain the points system better...this is Pennsylvania's system

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/pub472.pdf

East Coast Lawn Choppers
09-17-2008, 08:17 AM
I know a few people that have gone in and explained how it will impact their job or life. They asked for a lesser charge with lower or no points. I know the one got it dropped to a lesser charge with same fine, but no points. Not sure how it'll work out of state...
My dad got pulled over in Virginia (where they haul you right in) and he made a joke with the cop about "if Va. gives senior citizen discount for speeding" (he was 78) the cop asked if they did in Pa and ended up letting him go...

coopers
09-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Coopers maybe this will explain the points system better...this is Pennsylvania's system

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/pub472.pdf

Huh, thanks, that explains it. Shitty system IMO.

ssprtman12
09-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Dirt Digger2

Where in NY were u? Im from NY and i got a ticket like that last winter i know ur pain. And if u have any "ins" at school or locally that is an engineer or someone that can prove his radar was in accurate because he was going the other direction when he passed u, have then help. My dad had that same problem, had an engineer he knew prepare a statement, and they dropped the ticket, granted that was years ago, and radar technology is better, but u never know.

RockSet N' Grade
09-18-2008, 07:47 PM
ssprtman got me to thinking......there is a book out there written by an attorney on how to fight (win) tickets........when i remember the name of it i will let you know........it's on one of the book shelves here somewhere.........

coopers
09-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Dirt Digger2

Where in NY were u? Im from NY and i got a ticket like that last winter i know ur pain. And if u have any "ins" at school or locally that is an engineer or someone that can prove his radar was in accurate because he was going the other direction when he passed u, have then help. My dad had that same problem, had an engineer he knew prepare a statement, and they dropped the ticket, granted that was years ago, and radar technology is better, but u never know.

Have fun challenging moving radar (especially the new ones these days). It's accurate, especially when you are coming at the patrol car.

Dirt Digger2
12-06-2008, 12:26 PM
well whats it been?.....3 months, and i finally got the ticket back in the mail yesterday after hours of headaches on the phone with an incompetent New York court system

they reduced my charges to disobeying a traffic signal, which is no points and smacked me with a $215 fine:cry:

mattfromNY
12-06-2008, 01:04 PM
I know its been taken care of now, but where in Upstate did you get nabbed? 81?

punt66
12-06-2008, 03:42 PM
well whats it been?.....3 months, and i finally got the ticket back in the mail yesterday after hours of headaches on the phone with an incompetent New York court system

they reduced my charges to disobeying a traffic signal, which is no points and smacked me with a $215 fine:cry:

OK i thought you didnt mind paying the fine and you just didnt want points ;) next time dont speed. :usflag:

NateV
12-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Id pay the $215 over the 4pts anyday

T&J Landscaping
12-06-2008, 04:36 PM
it will not show up on your record right away, go to court and fight it ,, and you will save time, before it goes on your record, and you might even win it,,

marthanmike1959
12-06-2008, 04:42 PM
I have worked also to keep my C D L clean.It is the source of my income.I have a haz mat endorsement with doulbles,triples too.Mine come up for renewal this year i have to have a back ground check because of the haz mat.As every year goes by its new laws ,restrictions etc.Trucking is not near as fun as it used to be.

Dirt Digger2
12-06-2008, 05:26 PM
I know its been taken care of now, but where in Upstate did you get nabbed? 81?

Rt. 13 in Chemung County

PerfectEarth
12-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Man, I would pay the 215 gladly and move on. Thanks for the thread.... makes me think about protecting mine. In KY, we share points with like 4 other states!! I feel your frustration- you're most likely a 20x better driver than everyone on the road and you get nabbed... and for the trooper to not talk to you about your CDL is very cold. I'd at least want him to have a small conversation with me about what I do for a living etc...

Dirt Digger2
12-07-2008, 01:23 AM
i am very satisfied with the results everyone...i am paying the ticket and finally after 3 months removing this weight off my shoulders...

i find it ridiculous that it took 3 months to sort out...i had to push back 2 court dates, 3 calls that were never returned from the District Attorney and a small town court that only answers phones during "office hours" on Tuesday night from 7-9...a very frustrating and in my belief un-professional system of dealing with relatively important legal matters