PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning aeration tines

m&mmowing
09-14-2008, 11:01 PM
does anyone clean the tines on the aerator? There seemed to be a lot of mud and grass on my tines when i got done today. I wonder if it would be beneficial to clean these tines and take the mud out. I realize that that the tines will only get caked with mud again, but if they were emptied between aerating days, will this help the tines last longer and give me a better plug longer? thanks

Dynamic
09-14-2008, 11:26 PM
They will clean themselves on the next job. The only way they last longer is if they aren`t aerating stones. Good luck.

TerraTek
09-16-2008, 02:22 AM
Cleaning the mud from them doesn't make them last longer. I just give the whole aerator a quick powerwash to keep the garage clean (or wherever you store it)

mngrassguy
09-16-2008, 03:05 AM
Some older tines won't "eject" the cores well. See Turfco for new tines. I have sharpened my tines with a drill bit until I found out how cheap they were to replace.

turfcobob
09-19-2008, 11:26 AM
If you are using the machine daily I would not worry about the tines just power wash the unit. When you put it away for a longer period (enough to make rust) clean them and oil them. The rust pitting the inside or barrel of the tine will ruin them quicker than anything short of hitting a rock. If they are rusty you can go spend an hour in sandy soil to clean them up or you can get a steel bore brush for a shotgun, put it in a 1/4 inch drill and buff the bore with it. Works good done it myself. Keeping them from getting rusty inside is the key.

Another note: If they are in bad shape what is your time worth. You could easily spend a couple hours messing with them especially if you are going to sharpen them and make them shorter. While you can buy new ones for less that $3 from Turfco. You be the judge

mngrassguy
09-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Bob, remember when I asked you about this at the MNLA show in January? I'm glad I took your advice and replaced them with new ones. What a diference!!! You da man...