PDA

View Full Version : quick question on loam, seeding

mtnzone
09-15-2008, 09:38 AM
fall season is fast approaching. And i have a couple of clients who want me to lay down some loam 2 inches thick and lay down grass seed. allowing the loam to work into the old soil through the winter adding nutrients as well as fall/winter seeding.

what do you guys think.

sbvfd592
09-15-2008, 10:03 AM
across the whole lawn?? how bad is the lawn

mtnzone
09-15-2008, 11:08 AM
across the entire front of lawn which is 30'x40'

Smallaxe
09-16-2008, 11:30 AM
2" of topsoil now will pretty much kill the existing grass and create some rot issues in the root zone of the new grass. You are going to kill the old grass first?

BTW, What is your idea of "loam"?

mtnzone
09-16-2008, 02:37 PM
first off i was going to scalp the existing grass add loam and compost mix, plant annual grass to green up now as well as perennial for spring..

Smallaxe
09-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Hmmm. I've never thought of that b4.

Has anyone done that successfully? :)

mtnzone
09-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Hmmm. I've never thought of that b4.

Has anyone done that successfully? :)

i ve done it during the spring and summer months with great success

Mike33
09-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Your existing grass will act as a barrier not good. If the lawn is in that bad of condition customer wants new soil, i would spend little extra time and remove sod with my bobat and haul away. Then depending on thickness that is there of how much i would add. That size you could remove in 2 hours then starting over fresh and Know it will work. My opinion! Yes going back to thread 1200 sq' 1 truck load of sod to haul away and 15-20 top soil would be fine. I dont know what you seed in your zone but i use a 90-10 blend fescue with less than 10% pern. rye, stay away from the annual.
Mike

PSUturf
09-16-2008, 10:56 PM
No annual rye. Perennial rye will germinate almost as fast and it is perennial and doesn't look like a weed grass.

How is your 2" layer of loam going to work itself into the soil over the winter?You need to till it in or else you could have a layering problem where the roots won't grow down into the original soil ( or the loam layer might dry out much faster than the soil below)

Smallaxe
09-17-2008, 07:55 AM
i ve done it during the spring and summer months with great success

Ok cool. So what actually is happening here?

Do the old roots with the greens chopped off and become compost in the soil 2" down? Or do some of them come up after a while?

AI Inc
09-17-2008, 08:06 AM
By the time they give you the go ahead and you do it , it will be too late. Your 1-1/2 hrs north of me and the growing season here ends in 3-4 weeks.

Smallaxe
09-17-2008, 08:24 AM
By the time they give you the go ahead and you do it , it will be too late. Your 1-1/2 hrs north of me and the growing season here ends in 3-4 weeks.

Short on time , why not just overseed with what you have?

mtnzone
09-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Ok cool. So what actually is happening here?

Do the old roots with the greens chopped off and become compost in the soil 2" down? Or do some of them come up after a while?

a little of both actually... And if you use compost and loam mix it will work into soil thrue the coarse of the season, and seep nutirents down into the old soil..especially if you aerate the heck out of the old soil..

Smallaxe
09-17-2008, 08:55 AM
What is the advantage over just aerating and topdressing with compost, at the rate of 1/4" - 1/2"?

Then you have the best of both worlds. Established grasses continue to grow, nutrients in the holes, and new seeding filling in. W/out raising the grade 2 inches.

I suppose your system would eliminate any current weed problem. Interesting.

haybaler
09-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Overseed with a split-seeder and then topdress with compost. don't bother to aerate.