PDA

View Full Version : i can hit a refinery with a rock....

lawnwizards
09-15-2008, 09:07 AM
from where i live yet gas still went up to 3.99 from 3.61 because of ike. i know were not getting our gas from ike so why the increase on us? someone explain that one to me.

randy.

larryinalabama
09-15-2008, 09:17 AM
gas here in Bama went from 3.49 thursday to 4.29 todat

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Chevron's big over here. I once read that if we paid local prices, instead of having it evenly distributed across the nation (hmmmph) - that our gas would be WELL under a dollar/g.

larryinalabama
09-15-2008, 09:54 AM
If it goes much higher Im going fishing, I can walk to the lake

loneryder
09-15-2008, 09:58 AM
I was born in Ashland and everybody used to work for AO or Armco.

Hawg City Lawns
09-15-2008, 10:35 AM
If it goes much higher Im going fishing, I can walk to the lake

same here haha and you can actually make money fishing instead of losing it

Tharrell
09-15-2008, 03:05 PM
You know, the gouging started even before the hurricane hit land.
Then saturday morning, I was on my way into town for breakfast and I noticed gas at a store had gone up $1 overnight to $4.79. The conversations at McDonalds focused on the price hike and everyone was flapping their gums about the government and this and that and yadda yadda yadda.
I spoke up and said someone should just burn the gougers. That would put a stop to it.
Ha ha ha!
The conversations stopped cold and everyone was looking a little perplexed!
I told them all they were just a bunch of old women and stop flapping their gums, it makes it seem worse to just harp on and on about a bad situation.
Still, I would watch if someone took matters into their own hands!

Former munitions maintenence technician for the US Air Force.
I DO know how to do things but, I would rather provoke and just watch! Tony

Dave_005
09-15-2008, 03:35 PM
from where i live yet gas still went up to 3.99 from 3.61 because of ike. i know were not getting our gas from ike so why the increase on us? someone explain that one to me.

randy.

I can tell you in 3 Simple Words.... GREED ! GREED ! GREED !!!
the price of oil has DROPPED 47% in the past 6 months, but the price of gas at the pump has not dropped 1 cent/.... they raise the price through the roof on the SLIGHTEST RUMOUR but but with a 47% DECREASE in the price of Oil they havent droped the price of gas hardly anything. and when they Do, they raise it 20 and 30 cents at a time but MIGHT drop it by 1 or 2 cents.... PURE GREED !!!!!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-15-2008, 04:17 PM
I can tell you in 3 Simple Words.... GREED ! GREED ! GREED !!!
the price of oil has DROPPED 47% in the past 6 months, but the price of gas at the pump has not dropped 1 cent/.... they raise the price through the roof on the SLIGHTEST RUMOUR but but with a 47% DECREASE in the price of Oil they havent droped the price of gas hardly anything. and when they Do, they raise it 20 and 30 cents at a time but MIGHT drop it by 1 or 2 cents.... PURE GREED !!!!!

I agree with the data above. Oil today fell below $100/barrel, 35% off of the high. Our gas price in town here in MN, $3.75 which is only $0.20 off of the all time high here. And I know others down south were getting gouged for $5ish. There is no one party at fault I feel....the entire oil/gas supply chain is totally, totally out of hand greedy on our backs. There is big money being made at the consumer's expense, and those in the supply chain making the big money sure as heck aren't going to change their ways. Things need to change, but it will be a slow, slow process. If there is any one thing harming the U.S. more than others now, it is foreign oil and the petro supply chain.

Charles
09-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Many gas stations here have shut down the pumps. They either can't afford to pay for gas and/or ran out. Gas prices never did go back down to pre Katrina prices:hammerhead: They could hit $5 + and that will become the norm too, like $3 + has.

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-15-2008, 06:32 PM
The norm? I don't know about that. I won't begin celebrating until we go back under $2.00 ... though that's not looking realistic...

Uranus
09-15-2008, 06:46 PM
I cashed in my points at Stop & shop sunday. I paid $2.56 per gallon. I guess for ever $50 you spend in the grocery store the give you 10 cents off per gallon at their gas station. Wife forgot to tell me about the promo that was going on and she doesn't get her gas there. I got enough for 2 weeks. Bought about 59 gallons.

Charles
09-15-2008, 06:57 PM
The Barrel price dropped to $95 today because of the sinking US/world economy according to futures market speculators. These oil speculators see that consumers many not be able to afford to pay their high prices anymore. Remember, per barrel prices reached $160 per barrel. Gas prices sure don't reflect that barrel price. Only 20% of the refinery capacity lost because of the Hurricane and that is temporary. Hey, we can put robots on Mars but we can't figure out how to keep power supplied to refineries:dizzy: These people are getting filthy rich off us and we are not being protected by this gouging by anybody. Prices here range from $3.99 to $4.35. I paid $3.85 for diesel that is not effected by refining problems but should have dropped a whole lot more when the barrel price went down

Mickhippy
09-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Can someone please check my maths?....

Au$5.00 buys Us$4.00 or Au$1.00 = us$0.80
3.78Lt = 1 Gal
We're paying au$1.60/Lt for diesel

au$1.60 x 3.78lt = au $6.04/Gal

Or...

1 gal = 3.78lt
your paying what, Us$3.80 or so per gal

That is less than $1/lt (au$0.80/lt)

If above is all correct and please correct me if Im wrong... You lot have got to get over it. You still have very, very cheap fuel.

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-15-2008, 07:27 PM
If above is all correct, you lot have got to get over it. You still have very, very cheap fuel.

Not a fair comparison, as the taxation is very different. You're getting something for your high fuel prices. Not so much over here...

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Here's a breakdown of COST VS. TAX...

Australia pays the same for fuel as we do...

Mickhippy
09-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Like I said, Im paying au$1.60/lt for diesel, more than it says in the graph.
Looks like all countries pay about the same for the fuel but the tax's are what push's it up.

I would rather pay the same as you lot and still drive on our cr@p roads, which is where the tax should be going.

I still think you have a way better deal!

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-15-2008, 07:43 PM
I still think you have a way better deal!

Probably so. But it isn't ANY less painful when considering that we are paying triple what we did prior to 9/11 ...

DLCS
09-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Actually I could careless what any other country is paying. I only care what we in the USA are paying for fuel. If we don't stop this now, fuel will continue to go up and we will be at the mercy of oil companies.

lawnwizards
09-15-2008, 07:57 PM
I was born in Ashland and everybody used to work for AO or Armco.

yea, its still about the same except armco is now called AK steel. i think some japanese company bought it. :waving:

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-15-2008, 08:04 PM
I wonder how many foreclosures could've been avoided had fuel not put such pressure on family budgets both at the pump and at the store...

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-15-2008, 08:54 PM
this thread will be active for a long, long time unfortunately.
the fleecing of america - the petro industry.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Actually I could careless what any other country is paying. I only care what we in the USA are paying for fuel. If we don't stop this now, fuel will continue to go up and we will be at the mercy of oil companies.

I would probably not complain about the price of gas being in the 3-4 dollar a gallon range, so as long as we as americans could go to our car and truck dealerships and buy any vehicle sold in the world. If I could have some of the nice small diesel powered cars and trucks sold in Europe or Oz I would be spending about the same or even less on fuel than I did at 1-2 dollars a gallon with the vehicles are are allowed to pick from.

I could care less about a firebreathing high horsepower engine, and smoking fast 0-60 times. Just give me the power to get the job done and give me a truck that will do 30 mpg and a car that does 60-70 mpg, Cars and trucks sold today in other countries that we can't have.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Ron - great point, about our fuel thirsty vehicles here in the US. No, absolutely no reason we can't have cars on the hwy that get 40-50 miles per gallon. Shoot, my grandpa had a Volks Rabbit Diesel in the early 80's that got 50 mpg. Can't find much of anything like that now. What gives???

1cooltreeguy
09-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Ron - great point, about our fuel thirsty vehicles here in the US. No, absolutely no reason we can't have cars on the hwy that get 40-50 miles per gallon. Shoot, my grandpa had a Volks Rabbit Diesel in the early 80's that got 50 mpg. Can't find much of anything like that now. What gives???

I have a 2006 Jetta TDI that gets 50 Miles Per Gallon..I bought the vehicle when gas was .30-.40 cents per gallon higher than diesel.....I am driving the heck out of it instead of my duramax and other v-8's

MGV
09-16-2008, 12:11 AM
lawnwizards;from where i live yet gas still went up to 3.99 from 3.61 because of ike. i know were not getting our gas from ike so why the increase on us? someone explain that one to me.

Just because they can....and there is not a thing we can do about and they know it.