PDA

View Full Version : straighten out this yard! pics

ALC-GregH
09-15-2008, 10:58 AM
It's me again, I have a job I need to price out that they want the front part of the yard turned into grass. There's a stump that needs to come out in the right corner near the house. I'm not quite sure how to bid the job. Seed, straw, top soil, starter fert and labor. The part I'm not sure on though is how long it will take. The dirt is washed away from the front concrete porch so it will need top soil that will need to be graded out as well. Also all the landscaping plastic needs to go. Got any ideas on what I should charge in hours? I'm not sure how long it will take, thats my problem. Material's I can handle, it the number of hour to do it I'm stumped on. In the first pic, it will need to be cleared and graded level from the far left by the rock over to the far right by the stone path all the way up to the foundation. After that, they want other stuff done, like a walk way from left to right. The decorative paver brick that are up against the foundation will go and a mulched flower bed will go in their place and a walkway using those paver brick will go next to the flower bed.
Thanks for any help....
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/P9130001.jpg?t=1221489863
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/P9130002.jpg?t=1221490479

ALC-GregH
09-15-2008, 11:09 AM
man, 10 minutes isn't enough time to edit crap. The moderator's need to change this to at least 30 minutes.

Also, the shrub and tree will stay. Everything else around it needs to go. The woman actually likes the red boards. I can't stand them and told her there's other better appearing options.

dura to the max
09-15-2008, 11:41 AM
so the red boards, the stump go...remove old mulch/plastic...the area is graded...seeded/dirt/fert...?

what happens to the drainage pipe in pic #2? just trying to figure out what exactly needs to be done...also, are you going to do it all by hand, or do you have a dingo/skid/etc?

I.M. Green
09-15-2008, 11:42 AM
is all this by hand or do you have any equipment like a bobcat that you can use?

dura to the max
09-15-2008, 11:43 AM
is all this by hand or do you have any equipment like a bobcat that you can use?

that was just asked...

I.M. Green
09-15-2008, 11:44 AM
and if you get everything even with the foundation and level will there need to be a small retaining wall to the right side to keep dirt from washing away while the seed is rooting?

Elite Outdoor
09-15-2008, 04:21 PM
First thing I would do is rent a small bobcat, and back blade the area smooth. Load up the extra dirt/mulch/rocks to be dumped along with the landscape ties and bed liner. I would bring in a little bit of top soil maybe 3 cubic yards and top dress that area. I would lay sod. It cost more and is more work, but when you leave the yard will look great. Should be able to do it in one day by yourself. Figure up what you charge for approx. 8hrs work plus expenses(Bobcat rental, soil, sod/seed, and cost to dump the materials. I would add a little extra because this job looks like a pain in the butt. hope this helps

RAlmaroad
09-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Did anyone else notice that that white expandable drain line is on BACKWARDS. That mulch needs to be gotten away from that tree or it will surely die. The basic of basic rules is to never cover the shoe of a tree!!!! Poor tree!! I get rid of that small tree right beside the house as it's roots would eventually crack the foundation and then they would cut it down rather that replanting it somewhere else now. That arbor-vita or huge green something needs to be sold to a nursery as it's too big and unsightly for that little house.

I.M. Green
09-15-2008, 08:15 PM
looks like we were both typing at the same time but you apparently hit submit before me...

cudaclan
09-15-2008, 08:34 PM
"That mulch needs to be gotten away from that tree or it will surely die."

Why do people find it attractive to do this? I think the plastic sheet was used to redirect the water somewhere (?). The soil line is too high. It should be 18" below the house siding to prevent termite entry (tunnels). You will probably find surface roots exposed from that tree. The owner's attempts to conceal it with mulch (?). Is it wise to have a clause with that trees survival?

ALC-GregH
09-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Sorry I haven't been on, I've been busy.

The lady put the mulch there and yes it needs to go. I also told her the shrub should be moved but they want it there. They really don't have very good taste. I mean, who would LIKE the red boards around their house? I hate them with a passion.
Most of the work will be by hand. The lady isn't going to spend a bunch of money, no way will she spend the money on sod.
So yes, the stump, small roots that are exposed, plastic and red boards all will go. I was thinking 2-3 yards of top soil. No need for retaining wall, it's not that bad the seed and straw should stay in place. The drain spout will be routed to the side by the customer. I'll make sure to be clear about what will be done and what can happen if they don't water and just let it go.

I was figuring 8hrs labor + materials.

thanks for all the suggestions.....

ALC-GregH
09-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Do you think $800-1000 will cover it?

ALC-GregH
09-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Well now that this thread was moved, I doubt I'll get any answers now. Why they have to move stuff around is beyond me. Very few guys even read any of these.

ponyboy
09-17-2008, 05:47 PM
no. 1000 plus dumping and material seed soil hay and dumping go for 1350 and that is on the low side

sunray237
09-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Personally, I would price the job out doing it the right way including replacing the rotted landscape timbers with new ones.
Remember, people watching your work will just assume what they see you do is your typical work.
You have to protect your reputation, just give them a job price take it or leave it.
If they say no thank them and move on,you'll thank yourself later.

ALC-GregH
09-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Personally, I would price the job out doing it the right way including replacing the rotted landscape timbers with new ones.
Remember, people watching your work will just assume what they see you do is your typical work.
You have to protect your reputation, just give them a job price take it or leave it.
If they say no thank them and move on,you'll thank yourself later.

They don't want the timbers there anymore. They want grass in the entire area.

I'll give them a price that will make me money or I'll just pass on it. I'm not going to kill myself for nothing. Besides, she's called 3 different times and each time she keep wanting to know what they should do next. This last time I told her that I'll give her a price to do everything and that's it. I've probably spent $20 in gas just driving over to look at the place plus about 3-4hrs talking to her. I'm calling her today.

thanks for the replies.