PDA

View Full Version : Overseeder - Seed hopper in front of or behind blades best?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Want to ask which type of machine would be better to use, one with the blades in front of the seed hopper, or one with the blades behind the seed hopper? If the blades are behind the seed hopper/drop, will the blades damage the seed?

I have an opportunity to rent either type of machine, and looking for the one that is more effective.

David W
09-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Blades in front work well. It will work the seed in the soil. Be sure to set the blades to slice about 1/4" into the soil.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Blades in front work well. It will work the seed in the soil. Be sure to set the blades to slice about 1/4" into the soil.

Thanks:) But if the blades are in front, what works the seed into the soil if the seeds fall behind the blade action?

NoSchwag
09-15-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm curious how these work too. I assume the seed falls into the slit you just made with the blade.

David W
09-15-2008, 10:13 PM

I'm tired and not thinking straight. Having the blades behind the hopper works really good. It will drop the seed first then the blades will work the seed into the soil.

It's been a long week....and its only Monday.

Runner
09-15-2008, 10:42 PM
yep. The hopper in front...the blades to follow. Machines like the Ryan just leave to much seed surfaced.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Perfecto advice guys, thanks!