PDA

View Full Version : Submersible Lights

drumbo
09-15-2008, 04:31 PM
I have a new project that has a multi-tier fountain involved. I would like to light the tiers separately with a nice quality fixture.

The problem is that I use CAST products and they don't have the item I need.

I have seen others discussing random submersibles like Unique's Nautilus & a few others. How much money does the Nautilus run? I am looking for a HIGH quality product with around a 30 foot lead on it.

Any suggestions? I also wish to light some dormers/gables/whatever from the gutters...what would you guys suggest to work with for those? How would you suggest lighting the columns...if at all?

I use the spider-splice method CAST offers and am unfamiliar of what other competitors utilize. Keep in mind that I need something that doesn't require some fancy connector since I will solder the connections anyway.

Thanks! I look forward to your suggestions.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-15-2008, 04:49 PM
For the underwater component I highly recommend using Nightscaping's Vermeer and/or Wrightliter line.

The Vermeer (order with ss stand) is larger but absolutely bullet proof. I have never had any leak even after repeated lamp changes. (IMO, the true measure of an underwater fixture's sucess is it's ability to keep water out after it has been installed and serviced.)

The Wrightliter is a bit smaller, comes with an integral SS stand, and is also very well built. Both come with different shroud/lens options and both have a lifetime warranty from Nightscaping.

You can order your fixtures with whatever lead lengths you require beyond the standard listed in the specifications.

I have tried others in the past, only to be disappointed. Underwater applications are a challenge for most manufacturers... Nightscaping got it right with the Vermeer and the Wrightliter.

JoeyD
09-16-2008, 10:34 AM
you can contact me if you would like more pricing info on the Nautilus or Hub System. It is substanstially more in cost and durability than the entry level UW lights james described. This light was developed for large high end residential and commercial water features. It is robust (heavy) so that heavy turbulance will not move it.

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/Nautilus.htm

NAUTILUS - SS50-35-SS

Made from machined stainless steel this underwater can be used in
depths of up-to 8 feet. The pre-set angles allow for 30, 45 or 90 degree mounting
positions while the optional base plate (included) gives you even greater flexibility. This fixture is also available in 24 volt.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Construction: Machined Stainless Steel (318) with Aircraft Quality Double Silicon "O" Rings
Socket: Beryllium Copper, pre-greased, Fully Potted
Shroud: Stainless Steel
Mounting: 10" Stainless Steel Base Plate
Weight: 9.2 lbs.
Wire: 50 Feet, 16/2 SJEOOW Black SO Cord
Level of Light Application: 1, 2
Lamp: 35 Watt MR-16 FMW
Maximum Wattage: 50 Watts
Lifetime Warranty

NightLightingFX
09-16-2008, 11:09 AM
You may want to consider fiber optics. Challanges with fiber optics will be: Not as bright, Cost, and you may be challanged to find a place for the light source box. But a good option for a fountain.

I am currently working on a commercial fountain. I looked into using fiber optics but since this is a commercial site there is a lot of ambient light and fiber optics aren't bright enough, we also didn't have a place to but the light source box. I decided to go with Focus's underwater fixtures - I have no experience with the fixture but I got good feed back from other professionals that have used this fixture. It will probably be two more months before I finish this project.
~Ned