PDA

View Full Version : Too late to kill lawn and start over? (Ct.)

NoSchwag
09-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Just came home with a 50 lb bag of lesco park and athletic and a bunch of quickpro.

Do you think it's too late in the year to make this happen? I'm in central Ct.

Thanks

group501
09-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Should be prime time.

NoSchwag
09-15-2008, 08:53 PM
great.. I went heavy with the roundup tonight. It says on the package to use on sunny, warm days. This is the complete opposite of what I just did.

What's going to happen? I assume I'll just go heavy again tomorrow to make up for it.

JDUtah
09-15-2008, 08:57 PM
great.. I went heavy with the roundup tonight. It says on the package to use on sunny, warm days. This is the complete opposite of what I just did.

What's going to happen? I assume I'll just go heavy again tomorrow to make up for it.

:cry: just don't drink your well water for the next 6 months. :)

Follow the label, it's the law. :)

group501
09-16-2008, 12:02 AM
I did a complete Round up renovation in October of 2006 on my own lawn. I seeded the lawn then sprayed the existing lawn with Round up. Due to the colder temp it took longer for the existing turf to die. Eventually the old lawn died and a new lawn took it's place. It worked just fine.

NoSchwag
09-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Can I use the dethatcher or a slit seeder as an areater?

group501
09-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Can I use the dethatcher or a slit seeder as an areater?

No. Neither of these will relieve soil compaction. If the soil is not compacted then a slice seeder alone would be fine. Depending on the model you use it will also remove most of the thatch. If you have access to both machines then a double core aeration first followed by a slice seeding in a checker board pattern would provide the best seed bed.

Note: IMO you will get better results with a slice seeder as opposed to a de- thatcher type seeder.

SKIQUATTRO
09-16-2008, 09:43 AM
how much did the 50lb bag of Park/Athletic run you?

NoSchwag
09-16-2008, 12:48 PM
The one at home depot is a "clausen" and has the hopper in the front. The yard is not very compacted, I can stick a screwdriver in it very easy. I have a hill in the front yard and I'm hearing these slit seeders are a pain to push uphill.

Would it be okay to only seed downhill, then at an angle downhill? I figure I can raise the blade and walk it uphill. The hill isn't THAT big so I'll try to go up and down first.

NoSchwag
09-16-2008, 12:49 PM
upper 90's for the bag. I got it up in Auburn Ma.