View Full Version : thatch liquid Rake?

TTPRODR
09-15-2008, 05:22 PM
anyone heard of this before?
any inputs about it?
http://www.megagro.com/liquid-rake.htm

JDUtah
09-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Organically it makes a lot of sense. I have had a small desire to come up with a microbe/food mix that would help digest a thatch layer myself. The fact that they only have before pictures on their website makes me doubt it though.

Also, in any microbe application you want to stay away form chlorine. They have a hose end sprayer and make no mention of the chlorine in city water killing the microorganisms you are applying, potentially negating your attempt. :hammerhead:

"One 16 oz ready-to-use hose-end sprayer of Liquid Rake treats up to 10,000 square feet of lawn area!"

I will prolly buy a little and try it. Can't hurt to try it. If you do, don't use city water, or neutralize the chlorine/chloramine before you do. Thanks for sharing the wealth. :)

BTW, I would suggest you re-post this in the organic forum, it is basically organic principles. People there might know about it.

cudaclan
09-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Contains peanut hulls (MSDS)
(bacteria, actinomyces, fungi)

Mix your own brew and apply.
Over to Organics, I agree. But claims of not needing to dethatch and core no.

Smallaxe
09-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Fertilizer has always been overused to create thatch. Springtime apps of fert create thatch. Thatch being a tightly woven web of surface roots and stems.

Covering it with grass clippings and compost is going to change the suface of the lawn similar to the product claims.

However, the continuing practice of fertilizing surface roots would need to stop. That is not going to happen in most cases. Thatch is an important money maker for LCOs just as the excessive fert apps. that create it.

JDUtah
09-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Smallaxe,

I'm confused.

In my learning, providing plants with readily available nutrients causes them to put less energy into root growth. They don't spend energy growing roots if they don't need to. Hydroponics (small roots, large plants) is evidence. With that, wouldn't fertilizing turf cause the root system to be less extensive, not more so?

Do you have documentation that shows synthetic/available ferts cause a more dense/shallow root system?

I always thought thatch was the decaying matter, not the root system directly?

Thanks!
David

Smallaxe
09-16-2008, 06:58 PM
This is the definition of thatch that I use. :)

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/lawnchallenge/lesson5.html

*** "... The primary component of thatch is turfgrass stems and roots. It accumulates as these plant parts buildup faster than they breakdown. Thatch problems are due to a combination of biological, cultural, and environmental factors. Cultural practices can have a big impact on thatch. For example, heavy nitrogen fertilizer applications or overwatering frequently contribute to thatch, because they cause the lawn to grow excessively fast. Avoid overfertilizing and overwatering. Despite popular belief, short clippings dropped on the lawn after mowing are not the cause of thatch buildup. Clippings are very high in water content and breakdown rapidly when returned to lawns after mowing, assuming lawns are mowed on a regular basis (not removing more than one-third of the leaf blade). ..."***

ALICIA21
09-23-2008, 06:53 PM
I have never heard about this. But sounds good

TTPRODR
09-23-2008, 07:15 PM
ok my father went ahead and bought a bottle,hes also in the lawn business,we'll see how it turns out,I'll keep you guys updated!

johio57
06-03-2012, 07:16 AM
How did the LIQUID RAKE work?