PDA

View Full Version : what to include in a mulch proposal

bustin88
09-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Title explains it all.

doing a small 20 yard mulch job and just need to know what the best way is to write everything out so there is no misunderstanding to the customer?

What would be the best pricing to go with?

Mulch costing me 36.50 thats including delivery and fuel charge.

Thanks

WalkerMike98
09-15-2008, 09:39 PM
36.50 seems like a lot for mulch. Do you not have a way to haul it? Anyway, determine your costs plus what you want for profit and give them a price. I never tell the number of yards because I have been burned too many times. You do all the figuring and the homeowner calls up some jackleg w/ a pick up and a shovel and says hey, How much would you charge me to install X amount of mulch or they get it delivered and pay the neighbor kid to do it on the weekends.

ponyboy
09-15-2008, 09:46 PM
what type of mulch are you using that sounds high. we do mulch at $75-$100 a yard installed plus weeding plus edging and plus tax. $75 if it is easy spreading and $100 if there are a ton of flowers the most i pay for mulch is $22 a yard, we pick it up but on any loads over 10 yards delivery is free. might want to shop around and get a better price that seems like what a nusery charges a home owner to me not a business price

bustin88
09-15-2008, 09:47 PM
technically i do have a way to haul it, but the mulch place is like 30 minutes away, and it would take to many trips and to much time to get the amount i need.

good information about leaving the amount of mulch out, never thought of that...

bustin88
09-15-2008, 09:52 PM
yeah i actually got a better price 31.00

its black dyed, so in this area it's much more expensive then anything else....

its still high, but it is the cheapest by almost 20 bucks then other places i have called...

what is the best way to put this down on paper?

I was thinking 75 that seems to be the general consensus other LCOs and friends

thanks

ponyboy
09-15-2008, 09:54 PM
31 is still a little high but you could go with $75 and just add 2 or 3 yards to the bill so if you use 20 yards charge for 23. it sounds bad but it happens when you get big loads delivered to us so we pass it on to the home owners so sine $75 is cheap just make up the diff with adding an extra few yards on the final bill. you can estimate and say it needs 20 but the fibal bill should be more

bustin88
09-15-2008, 09:58 PM
does it make sense to include in the proposal my estimated time it will take?

WalkerMike98
09-15-2008, 10:04 PM
PROPOSAL. Thank you for the opportunity to bid on your property. Mulch all beds and trees as discussed. 1500$ This includes the mulch. bustin88. This is a good starting point. Has worked well for me. I still think you could get a better price on the mulch but 75 a yard installed if a decent price even with some light cleanup.

bustin88
09-15-2008, 10:09 PM
that's a huge help.. and fairly simple.. thanks for the all the help

maybe i will shop around a bit more tomorrow for a better price....

WalkerMike98
09-15-2008, 10:30 PM
One other thing I just thought of is I usually do not use round numbers. Instead of 1500 use 1506.73 for example. Dont ask me why but this method has been more sucessful for me. I think it appears that some in-depth calculations were done, instead of just using a round figure. Maybe borrow a 16 ft trailer if you do not have one. I haul 10 yds with mine. It has 4 ft sides. You can also use 4 sheets of plywood temporaily. When using this bidding method, if it only takes 18yds then you still get the 1500. You are not being dishonest with the customer, you are bidding by the job. If you over estimate the mulch a little, it will allow for some cleanup, edging, etc and you wont be losing anything.