PDA

View Full Version : lawns are a mess from the wind!!

lawncare18
09-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Anyone else have lawns that are just a mess?? We got hit bad last night with wind and some of my yards takes half an hour before you mow to clean them up. Great extra money just surprised how bad the wind was. Anyone else in the northeast have a huge mess or is it just be in central new york??

sven1277
09-15-2008, 10:04 PM
We spent extra time this week cleaning up debris. I only charged additional if it took more than 10min.

jkingrph
09-15-2008, 10:35 PM
We had hurricane Ike Saturday, Sunday we got up to about 1/4 of the 1 3/4 acre yard covered with downed limbs, none very large, only a few more than 2" diam. My wife was wanting to sweep and pick everthing up, & I told her to only pick up larger pieces. I got out my mower and mowed almost all of the debris, and really reduced the volume. When we finished sweeping after this I did not fill a 4'x6' cart I use. Mowing it turned what could have easily been an all day job for us into less than 3 hours .

CLARK LAWN
09-15-2008, 11:21 PM
i spent all day cleaning up and probably have 2 more full days to go. we still have areas with no power and they said it wont be on till thursday or friday. 90,000 with out power in our area at 530 am today

Murphy's LawnCare
09-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Google Bridge City and Beaumont and then cry to me about it....Put the mower up and broke out the chainsaw. Reviewed all my yards today and at the very least 25 have massive tree and wind damage.

PLS-Tx
09-16-2008, 01:56 AM
Google Bridge City and Beaumont and then cry to me about it....Put the mower up and broke out the chainsaw. Reviewed all my yards today and at the very least 25 have massive tree and wind damage.

Bridge City is a mess, I think every house and bus. had several feet of water in them. Most of our work is in Orange, don't know yet how many of our customers flooded.

How long have you been home, or did you leave?

We plan to go home this week, maybe, no telling when we will have power back on. I do want to get home asap, but don't want to bring my back to soon to the mess that awaits us.

I'm just sick about the whole thing.

BTW, I grew up in BC, seeing all those pics of the flood waters has not been easy.

Murphy's LawnCare
09-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Yea i am actually from Buna. I came back the day of the storm just to work. Its a mess but not as bad as Rita as far as wind damage goes. The water damage on the other hand is another story. You should get back down here and start a clean up crew. I grossed about a grand today in 8 hrs. But I am paying my help good too.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
09-16-2008, 09:23 PM
With just 5 yards cleaned up thus far I hauled 2260lbs of debrit to the dump today. We have 7 yards still to do that we know of and get the mowing done for the week. Good thing for back pack blowers!

deere615
09-16-2008, 10:57 PM
We got hit pretty bad here lots of limbs all over the roads and in peoples yards. Lots of power lines down too. Some people here in pittsburgh won't have power until friday! I just did a good size cleanup tonight and have to go back and get a load of brush tommorrow. One of my regular customers also had a huge cherry tree fall in his yard that I might have to cut up.