PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Trailer Size!

theWRIGHTcut
09-15-2008, 09:33 PM
i currently own a 5x12 single axle open trailer.... but I'm doing an equpiment and truck upgrade soon! :dancing:....

what trailer is most popular among you guys? i'm speaking in terms of enclosed trailers...

b121774
09-15-2008, 10:04 PM
I like the pace summit 14x7 landscaper special with the taller roof and 5/8 ply sides, torsion suspension and heavy duty ramp.

DUSTYCEDAR
09-15-2008, 10:13 PM
well i have had many over the years 8*20 is nice
i just got a 7*12 with a v-nose i really like
u have to fit all your crap in it so that will tell you how big u need.
some days i need a 53foot trailer and that would still be tooo small.:)

mowerbrad
09-15-2008, 10:32 PM
I can't speak for enclosed trailors but my 6x14 dual axle often times seems too small. It isn't so bad when I just have the Z on it but when I have the Z, the 21 and a large pile of leaves/grass it is way too small. And with me thinking of adding a walkbehind to the trailer, I know that I won't be able to fit it all on there. I would way rather have a 7x16 or 7x18, with the 18 footer being my top choice. I have learned that it is better having a little too much space than too little of space.

dura to the max
09-15-2008, 10:34 PM
6-7'x16-18' open is ideal to me

shovelracer
09-15-2008, 10:53 PM
A 6.5 -7 foot open is about equal to an 8 foot enclosed as far as room to move around. With an open you can lean over and hang things on the rail. It all depends on what you need it for. I have an 8x20 enclosed and it is a little tight, but any larger and I couldnt do my route. As it is I already have had to make changes to my route parking.

A 12 will hold a 21, 48 and ZTR. A 16 will hold 2 ZTR usually, and a 20 will hold a 32 and 2 - bagging ZTRs.

theWRIGHTcut
09-15-2008, 11:05 PM
well my plan is to go commercial completely... now i only have 3 commercial accounts... and like 15 residential...

i want to have all small to medium size commercial accounts... i'm more of a solo effort, so here's what i have to work with... a 48" ransomes, 36" wright sentar sport, and i will be getting a 52", or 61" wright sentar soon... so call it, the 36" and the larger one on the trailer at all times... so i was thinking maybe 6x12 might fit me nicely?

Runner
09-15-2008, 11:08 PM
I bet if we took a poll, 16 ft. would lead it. I use 18's, and am glad to have that extra 2 ft. There are WAY too many times we couldn't do without it. Next trailer I buy will be a 20'. It would just be so much more suitable for my needs. I want one trailer to carry two mowers (w/vacs) or a mower w/vac and the Permagreen to shoot off the side, along with about 3/4 ton of fert. and some chem.. I think with the right custom rack setup, this can be done. I can do this now, but it is rather tight.

J&R Landscaping
09-15-2008, 11:10 PM
For an enclosed, I would go with a minimum of 16'. The ideal size for me in an enclosed would be 20' so I have room to grow but it depends on your route and stops. I know I have a couple places where my truck and 16' trailer have to squeeze to park and not block things.

dura to the max
09-15-2008, 11:13 PM
I have a couple places where my truck and 16' trailer have to squeeze to park and not block things.

and this is an issue:confused::confused::confused:

lol

shovelracer
That is a very nice size. I used one for a while. I always like to get them a little larger than you need today, because you will find something to fill that space once you have it. My only suggestion is dont underestimate the width. The benifit of an open is that they are cheap compared to enclosed. So if you use it for a year or two and sell it you dont lose too much. An enclosed has a much higher depreciation once you hook it up to your truck.

MileHigh
I've got a 14'x6'9" and I feel it's a little small for my operation. I'll probably jump up to a 16' or 18' when I completely outgrow it.

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
09-15-2008, 11:21 PM
We run anywhere from our smallest open trailer which is 8.5' X 18' and our longest is 8.5' x 26' enclosed, I like the 26' beacuse we can easily fit 3 zero turns in without a problem, but we still sometimes bring 2 more on a smaller trailer for the really big jobs.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
09-15-2008, 11:30 PM
We can fit alot of standers on a 16 ft'er. I like the 14 and 16 ft.

Hawg City Lawns
09-16-2008, 12:32 AM
i wish i would have gone with the 102"x20' open

MGV
09-16-2008, 01:09 AM
It all depends on what kind of equipment you have. For me I have a 8' x 20' pace enclosed trailer. Holds 1 toro with the large rear mount bagger attached, my hustler 48" walk behind and my hustler 61" super z. I built a 3' work bench in the front that holds my tool box and small trimmers. Then everything else is mounted to the side walls. One thing to remember if your pulling a enclosed trailer with a small dump truck is order the trailer with the longer drawbar. Usually 1 foot longer than standard. This way you can turn the truck around tight and not worry about crushing in the front of your new trailer on the dump body.

Richard Martin
09-16-2008, 05:23 AM
i want to have all small to medium size commercial accounts... i'm more of a solo effort, so here's what i have to work with... a 48" ransomes, 36" wright sentar sport, and i will be getting a 52", or 61" wright sentar soon... so call it, the 36" and the larger one on the trailer at all times... so i was thinking maybe 6x12 might fit me nicely?

A 6X12 open trailer would be perfect. I used one for years before I got my 7.5X16 and now I wish I had the 6X12 back. The reason? The smaller trailer weighs about 1,000 pounds less and is easier on the gas mileage.

dishboy
09-16-2008, 08:44 AM
I haul a Walker MB with 42" deck, a 36" walkbehind , a toro 21" two trimmers,a backpack and handheld blower, two toolboxes, an edger, and two backpack sprayers on a 6X12 open trailer. Richard Martin hit the nail on the head , get the smallest lightest trailer that will carry your equipment so you maintain some sort of fuel mileage. That said I wish I had a 6X12 with a side gate on the front right corner to make it so I don't have to unload the Walker to get the 36" walkbehind off. Whatever you buy make sure it will let you do this as efficiency is money in your pocket .

Riley Lawn Service
09-16-2008, 11:59 AM
i dont have near enough equipment to need a big 20ft enclosed but in the near future i plan to expand my business manage more accounts and buy more equipment to get the job done. If i were you though i would go with a 20ft with all the stuff that you have my friend borrowed an open 20 ft carhauler yesterday to haul some dirt and it doesn't seem near as long as it seems any extra room will help.

GravelyNut
09-17-2008, 12:13 AM
For an enclosed, I would go with a minimum of 16'. The ideal size for me in an enclosed would be 20' so I have room to grow but it depends on your route and stops. I know I have a couple places where my truck and 16' trailer have to squeeze to park and not block things.

I know of a few places in PA where my truck doesn't even fit on the road.:rolleyes:

dura to the max
09-17-2008, 12:15 AM
are we talking enclosed or open trailers on this thread? the original poster didnt specify, and i think to give him good advice this is much needed info...

GravelyNut
09-17-2008, 12:19 AM
are we talking enclosed or open trailers on this thread? the original poster didnt specify, and i think to give him good advice this is much needed info...:nono: Yes he did.:)what trailer is most popular among you guys? i'm speaking in terms of enclosed trailers...

Riley Lawn Service
09-17-2008, 12:31 PM
o u just got served dura! lol You need to be much more observant if you want to make it in the landscaping business. lol

TXNSLighting
09-17-2008, 01:55 PM
18' enclosed is perfect. 20' also.

theWRIGHTcut
09-17-2008, 02:20 PM
lol yeah i did specify, but whatever... i think i am leaning more towards a 6x12 to be honest? or would that just be ****** weird to show up on the site with a single axle enclosed trailer? =(??

dura to the max
09-17-2008, 11:16 PM
if you want to haul all 3 mowers simultaneously, then i think that would be too small. i had a 7x16 enclosed and went to a 6x16 open and feel like i have twice the space. you want something that hauls your current equipment comfortably, w/ room for expansion, but at the same time not so big that it becomes a pain to tow/park etc...but if you fit all your stuff on a 5x13 open then a 6x12 enclosed is gonna be really tight. it can probably be done, but it wouldnt be too effecient w/ all the time spent trying to position equipment correctly.

TXNSLighting
09-17-2008, 11:17 PM
You need to go 16' atleast. 12' is way to small. Big waste of money.

02DURAMAX
09-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Get atleast a 16' I have a 18' And love the extra room!

brucec32
10-13-2008, 01:21 AM
i currently own a 5x12 single axle open trailer.... but I'm doing an equpiment and truck upgrade soon! :dancing:....

what trailer is most popular among you guys? i'm speaking in terms of enclosed trailers...

5x12! Actually mine is 5'4" of flooring.

It holds a ztr in the back half, up to a 40" wb, and a 21" in front, and unlike wider trailers I don't have to worry about drifting the wheel well into oncoming traffic and I think I hop curbs less often. I can also squeeze it through drive thrus where a 6' trailer wouldn't stand a chance. : )

Look for a 3500 lb rating in single axles. Also a high quality foot with a wheel on the bottom so you can roll the trailer to the hitch, tubular steel ramp frame, and trailer brakes with breakaway protection for safety.

A side ramp up front would be nice for quick unloading of front mounted machines, but may be hard to find in a trailer this width and less than 14' long.

Not a fan of enclosed trailers for visability, tool access, and weight reasons, but they are good moving billboards and protect equipment somewhat.