PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal to...

slickfifty
09-15-2008, 10:54 PM
replace and/or sharpen blades every 4-8 working days?

windsory
09-15-2008, 10:58 PM
yes it is...

Runner
09-15-2008, 11:02 PM
That would work. For us, it is a bit more frequent than that. About 8 hours of mowing (actual mowing) on each machine. If something happens, and a blade hits sand or something, they are immediately pulled and swapped - right on the spot (only takes about 2 minutes for all tools to be put back away).

Woody82986
09-15-2008, 11:47 PM
I try to sharpen my blades every 10-12 hours or so depending on conditions. I go a little longer than alot of guys but it works for me. If I hit a big sand pile or something though, I go ahead and slap on a spare sharp blade right on sight.

Liquidfast
09-16-2008, 12:34 AM
I've got baseball bats swatting my grass. Haven't sharpened my blades.....except at the first scheduled maintenance. Even then, the dealer told me I put them on upside down. Couldn't get the scalp right. Thought I reinvented the wheel. Nah. Just an idiot. And a lazy one at that.

mississippiturf
09-16-2008, 12:55 AM
I change out or sharpen blades every 10-12 hours. Seeems to work out fine for southern grasses.

Richard Martin
09-16-2008, 05:28 AM
With the Fire Ants we have down here it would be pointless to change out the blades everytime you hit sand. You go 10 feet, hit a mound and then change out the blades. Go another 10 feet, hit another mound and do it again. After a while you kinda figure out that razor sharp blades aren't that important and just sharpen them every week.

slickfifty
09-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Thanks for your help.
I am paying fifty dollars for a set of blades. Is there a cheaper way to buy them?
OR will a few sets work to change out and sharpen for each mower?

I just started mowing about six months ago.
Growing up we only changed the blade when it started digging into the ground and jerking the machine around!

AJ Lawnscapes
09-16-2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks for your help.
I am paying fifty dollars for a set of blades. Is there a cheaper way to buy them?
OR will a few sets work to change out and sharpen for each mower?

I just started mowing about six months ago.
Growing up we only changed the blade when it started digging into the ground and jerking the machine around!

musta hit a few stumps eh? :dancing:

I haven't changed mine in about 30 hours or so. They are still doing a good job. Gonna sharpen my other set today and then change them out since it's service time for the mower.

As with everyone else, you change them when they need changed. If you're just batting the grass down, skipping patches, etc. it's time to change/sharpen them.

Always good to have a spare set or 3.

LushGreenLawn
09-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Keep in mind guys that Sharp Blades can mean the difference between health grass, and unhealthy grass. Grass Blades are Shredded instead of cut when a dull blade is used. This happens way before the point that the blades are missing patches or knocking grass over. This is a big invitation to disease. If you care about your customers, and how their lawns look, change your blades often. If you want to be like the scrub pulling a murry behind his station wagon, don't.

HOOLIE
09-16-2008, 07:36 AM
I don't have an hour meter on the mowers, in the spring I change blades daily or every other day, depending on how motivated I am. Summertime, once a week normally. Now with all the crabgrass I'm back to every other day.

TomberLawn
09-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Remember, sharp blades save gas too!

skennedy04
09-16-2008, 06:36 PM
I change or shappen ours every 10 to 12 hrs.

TREEGUARD
09-16-2008, 06:56 PM
At least 2 times a week

grass-scapes
09-16-2008, 07:48 PM
I've got baseball bats swatting my grass. Haven't sharpened my blades.....except at the first scheduled maintenance. Even then, the dealer told me I put them on upside down. Couldn't get the scalp right. Thought I reinvented the wheel. Nah. Just an idiot. And a lazy one at that.

I had (not have) an employee that put blades on my machine one time. I was using gators. He put two of the three on the right way, and one on upside down. Couldn't tell the day of the mow the first lawn or two because they didn't need much cutting. I noticed a funny cut on a thicker lawn.

the next week, one third of my stripe was brown and looked half dead. the lift areas of the gator had shredded the grass. Took several weeks to get it back out. I called the customers to explain and they were understanding.