PDA

View Full Version : spare

Toy2
09-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Questions for all the open trailer folks on this site:

Where do you have your spare tire mounted? Do you even have one?

I have a 16' TopHat and am trying to figure out the best place to mount a spare. Outside, inside the trailer, keep the spare in the back of the truck...etc...

Any ideas would help/
Thanks

Jason Rose
09-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Spare? lol

I carry an air bubble, for use with any tires. I've had a couple tire casualities on the trailer over the years but with the tandem axle I've always just limped back home, or to where ever I know has the tools, and then ran and got a new tire. If it's just a nail causing a leak I just plug it.

I keep thinking about buying a spare tire/rim, but every time I think to look they are out of the size I need. If I pulled on the highways I would definatly have a spare though...

I'd mount it outside the trailer. Wouldn't be hard at all to fabricate a way to hang it from the top trailer rail. Heck, you can buy a spare tire mount from harbor freight for $20 or less.

kevinpmoody
09-15-2008, 11:40 PM
who needs a spare tire

Riley Lawn Service
09-16-2008, 11:14 AM
a good place to mount it would be directly in front of the trailer like right over the tong in the center of the front wall of the trailer if you can uunderstand my lengthy explanation. lol

Tharrell
09-16-2008, 06:51 PM
My newest trailer, the spare is mounted in the front.
Before I totaled my last trailer I had one of those bolt on things from TSC. I didn't like it much so I went to the ford dealership and bought a pickup truck mount. You know, the winch type. I was going to mount it under the front of the trailer bed sorta like my pickup. My trailer got totaled and I never got a chance to do it. My newest trailer had a mount built on it. Tony

Toy2
09-16-2008, 07:51 PM
I took the trailer to Austin this past weekend, and the whole trip was worried about a blowout.......I did see the spare mount bracket from Harbor, it looks cheap but I guess it is rated to hold 60lb plus, I also saw one from Northern Tool, looks the same..

I think I will mount it on the passenger side, upper rail...

Thanks again...