PDA

View Full Version : quick trans. question

P.Services
09-15-2008, 11:11 PM
im putting this quick question on the heavy equp. topic because the "knowledgeable" ones seem to hang out here.

im looking at two c7500 gmc's. both have 3126 cats, one has a 6 speed manual and one has a 5spd with a two spd rear. what trans would be a better set up?
or should i just hold up my dress and buy a alison auto so the new guys can run it, i have heard they are well built and tuff as hell these days.

ksss
09-15-2008, 11:21 PM
im putting this quick question on the heavy equp. topic because the "knowledgeable" ones seem to hang out here.

im looking at two c7500 gmc's. both have 3126 cats, one has a 6 speed manual and one has a 5spd with a two spd rear. what trans would be a better set up?
or should i just hold up my dress and buy a alison auto so the new guys can run it, i have heard they are well built and tuff as hell these days.

Depending on what the hp rating the 3126 is set at, and depending on the price, I might get the Allison. That said, the next choice would be a 6 speed. Real easy to drive even for a rookie. I would not consider the 5/2, unless it was so cheap that you could justify changing out the tranny. the gear ratio will be a factor on these trucks with such limited tranny choices. I am guessing that it is around 300 hp?

P.Services
09-15-2008, 11:26 PM
they are both rated at 250hp, does any one know if you can "turn up" a 3126.

stuvecorp
09-15-2008, 11:30 PM
they are both rated at 250hp, does any one know if you can "turn up" a 3126.

Run away from it. Look at International's or maybe something with a Cummins.

P.Services
09-15-2008, 11:33 PM
i would like a pete 335 or a t300 but im afraid $ may not permit that at this time. i have drove a few 2006 c7500 and they seem to be a well built truck.

stuvecorp
09-15-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm not trying to be difficult, buying my Kodiak is one of my worst business decisions and don't want any one to go through that. The motor was a black hole of money. It had the 3116 but the 3126 is more complicated.

ksss
09-15-2008, 11:50 PM
I have never owned a CAT powered anything. It all been Cummins (444, L-10's) and now a MACK.

I can speak for buying a single axle. I started with one. It seemed like a good idea at the time, in retrospect it was not. If you move any material at all there is no reason to buy a single axle. A tandem will allow you to grow your business. The added payload will more than cover the added cost of tires. Fuel is much the same at least that is my experience.

P.Services
09-16-2008, 12:01 AM
thats the thing i dont really move that much material, more of a pulling truck. im a landscaper remember so a load of trees or a load of mulch or a trailer of stone or a ct332 is the norm. dont get me wrong i run into extra dirt on jobs but never more then 20 yards.

im still wanting to build my idea of a single axle with a 10' enclosed box behind the cab and then a 12' mulch dumper or sng behind the enclosed box. im just scaired to do it and have it ride all crazy because the front wheels arnt touching the ground with the weight so far back.

mrsops
09-16-2008, 12:03 AM
piccaso i have allison autos with cat engines in all 3 of my ford dump trucks they been holding up real good for me

Scag48
09-16-2008, 12:05 AM
My buddy is a diesel mechanic and has worked on a lot of on highway Cat, Cummins, Detroit, and Mack motors. He likes the bigger Cats, but he says the smaller ones in medium duty trucks are junk. He says they're really pissy, rarely put out what they're rated for and not much in the way of juicing them up, and a they're PITA to work on and keep running 100% of the time. He said Cummins will give a better package when it comes to medium duty power options. I'd go that route if you can.

Not really my opinion, but my buddy has some experience so when I asked, that's what he told me.

Gravel Rat
09-16-2008, 12:40 AM
I would stay away from GM medium duty trucks look at Sterling Acterra or a International. A truck with 5+2 gearing shouldn't even be built anymore.

A truck with a 6spd is okay but can be tiresome to drive they never put the engine in its peak RPM range because they are stepped so far apart gear wise.

A automatic is okay but they are tough on brakes and when they do decide to puke they are expensive repair.

The Cat 3126 or C7 is the singer sewing machine Cat engines they are really not the best. The ISC Cummins is better or you go with a International and get a 466 or 530/570 engine they are proven.

ksss
09-16-2008, 09:54 PM
A truck with a 6spd is okay but can be tiresome to drive they never put the engine in its peak RPM range because they are stepped so far apart gear wise.

A automatic is okay but they are tough on brakes and when they do decide to puke they are expensive repair.

Whether or not the engine hits peak torque range is really a non-issue. Most of these engine hit peak torque around 1200-1500 rpm, not hard to do, especially with a favorable final drive gear ratio.

stuvecorp
09-16-2008, 10:05 PM
im still wanting to build my idea of a single axle with a 10' enclosed box behind the cab and then a 12' mulch dumper or sng behind the enclosed box. im just scaired to do it and have it ride all crazy because the front wheels arnt touching the ground with the weight so far back.

:confused: So you are trying to build a school bus?:)

P.Services
09-16-2008, 10:27 PM
kinda i guess, no the enclosed box will have a fold down ramp i can roll stuff into like compactors, ball carts wheelbarrows. inside it will have tons of tool storage and tools racks. in the back it will have a bench seat for extra workers. the drivers side will have a swing open door so i can set pallets of light stuff inside the box. im going to have the company that built my enclosed trailer build this "box". behind i think it will just be a mulch dumper or or switch and go system.

im just worried about the weight so far back.

make sense?

stuvecorp
09-16-2008, 10:32 PM
kinda i guess, no the enclosed box will have a fold down ramp i can roll stuff into like compactors, ball carts wheelbarrows. inside it will have tons of tool storage and tools racks. in the back it will have a bench seat for extra workers. the drivers side will have a swing open door so i can set pallets of light stuff inside the box. im going to have the company that built my enclosed trailer build this "box". behind i think it will just be a mulch dumper or or switch and go system.

im just worried about the weight so far back.

make sense?

Yah, giving ya a hard time. How about taking a 20' shipping container on a hook truck that could pull a dump trailer. But can those hooks pull a trailer? You would lose the seating but how big of a crew do you run?

P.Services
09-16-2008, 10:38 PM
wow you just stumbled onto my other idea, im thinking about buying shipping containers and cutting the top off the bake 14' and welding a new divider in them and a side door on the front still enclosed part then using them on a hook.

this is the truck i really want but he wants big $$ for it, its been listed 3 times and no one has bought it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-HOOKLIFT-F-650-DUMP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63734QQihZ015QQitemZ250293600472QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

mrsops
09-16-2008, 10:40 PM
wow you just stumbled onto my other idea, im thinking about buying shipping containers and cutting the top off the bake 14' and welding a new divider in them and a side door on the front still enclosed part then using them on a hook.

this is the truck i really want but he wants big $$ for it, its been listed 3 times and no one has bought it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-HOOKLIFT-F-650-DUMP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63734QQihZ015QQitemZ250293600472QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

i have the same roll off

East Coast Lawn Choppers
09-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Come on the 5 speed with 2 speed rear is not that bad, I drive one a few times a week and have no problems at all. Usually leave it in high on the rear when empty or lightly loaded, but with a full load in it that combo works great for me.

P.Services
09-16-2008, 10:42 PM
you have a roll off, thats a hook lift. right? i thought you had a roll back?

mrsops
09-16-2008, 10:47 PM
you have a roll off, thats a hook lift. right? i thought you had a roll back?

yes i have a roll off that is a hook lift Then i have a international flat bed which basically is a tow truck that i carry my machines on

P.Services
09-16-2008, 10:54 PM
do you ever put the skids in the box and then pull them onto the truck?

mrsops
09-16-2008, 10:59 PM
do you ever put the skids in the box and then pull them onto the truck?

all the time!!!

P.Services
09-16-2008, 11:01 PM
thats the ford i really want, he wants mid 40's for it though

mrsops
09-16-2008, 11:05 PM
thats the ford i really want, he wants mid 40's for it though

truck is very expensive new.. It doesn't look like hes selling that truck it would be a steal if you could get it for 30,000 :)

P.Services
09-16-2008, 11:11 PM
yeah i would go up to 35k maybe i got a new price for the same exact truck at 86k

mrsops
09-16-2008, 11:12 PM
yeah i would go up to 35k maybe i got a new price for the same exact truck at 86k

There you go very expensive these trucks. 35,000 would be a real good price your getting a plow to.. 33,000 miles is nothing for that truck either

mrsops
09-16-2008, 11:13 PM

picasso how old are you?? do you have that much cash laying around???

P.Services
09-16-2008, 11:22 PM
21, enough for the ford, the 305c cr or a 2008 chevy but not enough for all at once.

if i could get a 300k loan right now i would be all over it and spend it fast but pay it back just as fast, i only buy what i know i need. i know with a 305 i will use it a enormous amount and a hook will take me to a hole new level.

so far my list includes
1) 305c cr
2) ford hook lift
3) f-550 or a light duty lawn truck or vanscaper
4) 75' reach bucket truck
5) rayco rc20 chipper
6) 450j lgp dozer
7) tractor and rocktubs
8) chevy 2500

if i had all of them right now they all would be busy.

Scag48
09-16-2008, 11:33 PM
I sure do miss self employment sometimes. While playing around on the big iron all day is fun, it's nice to say that you own some for yourself. Ah one day I'll be back at it. Good to know you're kicking ass Picasso.

And, with self employment, there are no layoffs. Next Friday will be my last day on the crew I've been with, they're cutting the crew in half and keeping the senior journeymen for the footing dig. Off I go, hopefully to another site within the company. If not, I guess the hall has been sending apprentices out fairly steady lately, surprising. The heavy highway crews have been busy, I'd like to try my hand at that. Sounds like I better get used to bouncing around.

P.Services
09-16-2008, 11:36 PM
scag you should try to get a little single axle dump and a skid and excavtor, just do two or three jobs a month to pay for them. then before long you can shift out buddies of yours to run them when they are laid off.

P.Services
09-16-2008, 11:40 PM
9) 20 ton tag trailer

Scag48
09-16-2008, 11:45 PM
That's the plan. I'm sitting on some property right now I'm going to hold on for a few years, cash in on it, take $100K of my winnings and put toward a house and take the other portion and pay in cash for a small dump and a skid or mini or both and run that on the weekends. I'd like to do it now, but I just don't have the funds to cover the insurance and the like. That and I have nowhere to store anything, I live in a condo, a real joy. So until I have a house, I'm screwed for storage. That's why the property deal plan sounds like it will work well, I can nab both within months of each other. In a few years, the plan will be a reality. That and I have to figure out how to get square with union to go about doing a owner/operator deal, now that's the ticket. Work union during the week/summer months, run your own show on the weekends guilt free. Good way to make $100K+ per year, I've talked to a few guys who do it and it's totally legit while being a union member.

P.Services
09-16-2008, 11:48 PM
yeah i forgot you had the chunk of land i remember seeing the pics of it. that will make you money without having to "work" for it.

Scag48
09-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Yeah it's a good savings plan. I throw down $8400/year making the payments but the value goes up at least double that per year. I've had it for not quite a year just yet and I've been told I could sell it now and walk away with $30K of profit already. Not a bad deal. It is strapping me down every month, though, that's for damn sure. I'll be fine with the payment as long as the union keeps me busy, I didn't sign up for this crap to not work but I guess that's how it goes. Don't like waiting around for a job and I almost took it disrepectfully when I was told I was going to get cut loose next week. Never had a job that ended without me quitting, it's strange. I was told by the boss I was exceeding his expectations for a 1st year apprentice, but I have no seniority on the crew, therefore I'm gone. Super lame. Not sure how I'm supposed to build any seniority if I just keep getting passed around. It's a bit frustrating to say the least, bust my ass to try and hold my job and look, I lose it.

P.Services
09-17-2008, 12:00 AM
this is one of the trucks im thinking about buying and throwing a hook or mulch dumper on it. VERY low miles and i think its a killer price.

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/medium-duty-trucks/find/listing/2004-CHEVROLET-C6500-93658365

ksss
09-17-2008, 12:43 AM
this is one of the trucks im thinking about buying and throwing a hook or mulch dumper on it. VERY low miles and i think its a killer price.

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/medium-duty-trucks/find/listing/2004-CHEVROLET-C6500-93658365

Even though it might be underpowered, that is a great price.

Gravel Rat
09-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Yes its a fair price but keep in mind the truck has very little payload. it is only a 6500 ie 3 ton truck. I would keep looking because by the time you get a body and tool boxes you may have a legal payload of 8000lbs.

stuvecorp
09-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Yeah it's a good savings plan. I throw down $8400/year making the payments but the value goes up at least double that per year. I've had it for not quite a year just yet and I've been told I could sell it now and walk away with $30K of profit already. Not a bad deal. It is strapping me down every month, though, that's for damn sure. I'll be fine with the payment as long as the union keeps me busy, I didn't sign up for this crap to not work but I guess that's how it goes. Don't like waiting around for a job and I almost took it disrepectfully when I was told I was going to get cut loose next week. Never had a job that ended without me quitting, it's strange. I was told by the boss I was exceeding his expectations for a 1st year apprentice, but I have no seniority on the crew, therefore I'm gone. Super lame. Not sure how I'm supposed to build any seniority if I just keep getting passed around. It's a bit frustrating to say the least, bust my ass to try and hold my job and look, I lose it.

Scag, that is just the union way.

09-17-2008, 02:26 PM

Wonder why he is selling it? looks like he has a good business, nice gallery anyways.

http://www.rybacklandscaping.com/Projects/photo.php

P.Services
09-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Wonder why he is selling it? looks like he has a good business, nice gallery anyways.

http://www.rybacklandscaping.com/Projects/photo.php

he did some good work in the past doesnt mean a darn thing. maybe the work dried up. i dont care why hes selling it.

Scag48
09-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Scag, that is just the union way.

I know, it sucks a little. Until I land with a crew and find a "home" or at least a company or two I bounce back between with, it's strange. Now today boss tells me one of the other apprentices is getting sent to another job and I'll be staying. I think he meant I'll be hanging around through the footing dig process to grade check, which is cool and should get me into November or December if that's the case. Only bummer is that there may be weeks when we only work 3-4 days due to waiting around for the footings to be poured, but whatever, work is work. I need to get a night/weekend job started when the rain starts flying.

Was told today I was doing one hell of a job with what I've been doing, so I know my ability to perform isn't where it needs to be. I am the vertical facing grade checker and with a 200 and an operator, I can slam down right around 500 feet of vertical wall faced within 1" of tolerance in a day. We're trucking along, we're keeping the drillers busy 5 days a week instead of the planned 4, I'm sure we're getting a few kudos for that. It's the old saying; working myself right out of a job.