PDA

View Full Version : pest control

44DCNF
09-16-2008, 01:30 AM
Have any of you tried wounding of plants to increase methyl jasmonate production (and thus, trichome production), as a cultural approach to reduce pest damage? Thank you.

ICT Bill
09-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Hey 44, beep, beep, beep...... please back up and give us some background, I literally have no idea what you are talking about, so I guess the short answer for me is, NO

Kiril
09-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey 44, beep, beep, beep...... please back up and give us some background, I literally have no idea what you are talking about, so I guess the short answer for me is, NO

http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Faculty_Staff/Thaler/Lab/Publication%20PDFs/Environmental%20Entomology.pdf

44DCNF
09-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks Kiril. That article explains the basis for my question Bill, though it doesn't mention intentional wounding or trichomes. I am wondering then, if rather than applying jasmonic acid, one could use (or more specifically, if anyone here has used) a method of physically wounding plants to increase pest resistance. In some brief searching I have found info on it, where it is used in a certain illegal area of growing, but I don't care to frequent those sites for obvious reasons. I am interested in it's use for ornamentals around the landscape, not cannabis growing. My understanding is that plants trichomes carry the compounds and have the physical structure that deter pests. Supposedly their numbers are increased by the foraging/boring of pests, via increased jasmonic acid production. I just wanted to open the topic for discussion here, based on anyones personal experience or knowledge of this practice - if any of you have tried or studied it.

treegal1
09-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks Kiril. That article explains the basis for my question Bill, though it doesn't mention intentional wounding or trichomes. I am wondering then, if rather than applying jasmonic acid, one could use (or more specifically, if anyone here has used) a method of physically wounding plants to increase pest resistance. In some brief searching I have found info on it, where it is used in a certain illegal area of growing, but I don't care to frequent those sites for obvious reasons. I am interested in it's use for ornamentals around the landscape, not cannabis growing. My understanding is that plants trichomes carry the compounds and have the physical structure that deter pests. Supposedly their numbers are increased by the foraging/boring of pests, via increased jasmonic acid production. I just wanted to open the topic for discussion here, based on anyones personal experience or knowledge of this practice - if any of you have tried or studied it.maybe, they should make corn illegal and let the other be grown, no I am not one of those, its just that corn is so bad, why not let some idiots have a little rope.

proper selective punning count??

44DCNF
09-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Salicylic acid and a volatile form, methyl salicylate is also formed and sent out to signal other plants or other parts of the same plant during attack....another story on it in todays discovery news....

aspirin (http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/09/19/plants-stress-aspirin.html)

DUSTYCEDAR
09-25-2008, 09:34 AM
a little trim? i had guys that would do selective wounding of trees all the time with the string trimmer.
never seems to work?